Ogre or Ogre3D

Discussion area about developing or extending OGRE, adding plugins for it or building applications on it. No newbie questions please, use the Help forum for that.
ddeath
Kobold

Ogre or Ogre3D

Post by ddeath »

Hi there,
I`m just curious what is the official name for Ogre project... It is Ogre like in a logo or ogre3d like in website url?
Thanks
Klaim
Old One

Re: Ogre or Ogre3D

Post by Klaim »

Ogre means Object-oriented Graphic Rendering Engine. And also Ogre. :D
ddeath
Kobold

Post by ddeath »

Well I know what ogre means... So you are saying that Ogre is official name? Coz I`m not sure what you wanted to say by your post...
Thanks
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

The "real" official name would probably be OGRE since that is what our license states. But usually it is referred to as "Ogre3D" for easier understanding = making clear we are not talking about that mythical creature and are in fact a 3D rendering engine.

May I ask where this question is stemming from? Any kind of legal connotation?
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
ddeath
Kobold

Post by ddeath »

Well as I posted another post about network-streaming rendering, and btw. on which nobody answers I decided to implement this feature. So my bachelor thesis will have name like Network-streaming rendering for Ogre.... so I want to know what I should put in the name of the thesis...
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

I wouldn't use "Ogre". Either "OGRE" with capital letters so that it is clear that it is an acronym or the "Ogre3D" version which I find nicer to read than "OGRE3D" and - as I said earlier - makes a clear distinction from the mythic creature.

But basically up to.

Hint: You might try to google around a bit. There were already quite some thesis' using our engine. You could see what version they used if you like...
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...