irrlicht 1.80 vs ogre 1.81

Discussion of issues specific to mobile platforms such as iOS, Android, Symbian and Meego.
tanxiaocy
Gnoblar

irrlicht 1.80 vs ogre 1.81

Post by tanxiaocy »

as to the newest stable version irrlicht 1.8 and ogre 1.81,is there a huge gap about efficiency performance between these two render cores on OPENGL ES2.0, in other word,mobile platform?

if that is true,which stage of the render pipeline make these differences?

c6burns
Beholder

Re: irrlicht 1.80 vs ogre 1.81

Post by c6burns »

I doubt there is a significant gap in performance between the two renderers on mobile devices, although I have not used irrlicht. For me, performance is always fragment shader bound, so I can't imagine a huge benefit coming from using a different renderer with the same shaders. One substantial benefit of Ogre in GLES2 development would be the RTShader System which can emulate fixed function for you.

tanxiaocy
Gnoblar

Post by tanxiaocy »

c6burns wrote:I doubt there is a significant gap in performance between the two renderers on mobile devices, although I have not used irrlicht. For me, performance is always fragment shader bound, so I can't imagine a huge benefit coming from using a different renderer with the same shaders. One substantial benefit of Ogre in GLES2 development would be the RTShader System which can emulate fixed function for you.
Thanks for your reply :) I see you focus on the mobile platform ,is there any products in app store or google play that you make ?

http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/tiki-ind ... using+OGRE
the ios game in this site seems bad on graphics

c6burns
Beholder

Post by c6burns »

The project I'm working on right now will launch next year. It's not exactly amazing graphics, but it's as good as our target hardware can handle. It's basically a skydiving sim, and even in its rough state I took a screenshot in case you're curious (the transparent overlays showed up a weird color in the screenshot for some reason): http://chucklingowl.com/tmp/sc.png

The thing to keep in mind is that Ogre is just a renderer. Whether your graphics look good or bad is down to your assets, your shaders, and the capabilities of your target hardware.

tanxiaocy
Gnoblar

Post by tanxiaocy »

c6burns wrote:The project I'm working on right now will launch next year. It's not exactly amazing graphics, but it's as good as our target hardware can handle. It's basically a skydiving sim, and even in its rough state I took a screenshot in case you're curious (the transparent overlays showed up a weird color in the screenshot for some reason): http://chucklingowl.com/tmp/sc.png

The thing to keep in mind is that Ogre is just a renderer. Whether your graphics look good or bad is down to your assets, your shaders, and the capabilities of your target hardware.
An interesting game,good luck:) the default terrain rendering in OGRE is low efficiency , and I have the off-line LOD algorithm implement ,maybe we can help each other in the future :) keep in touch~