[Announcement] Ogre3D sadly not part of GSoC 2014

News, announcements and important global threads from the Ogre3D Team.
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

[Announcement] Ogre3D sadly not part of GSoC 2014

Post by spacegaier »

TL;DR: Sadly, we were not awarded any slots this year.

Long version of the announcement: Front Page Entry
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
al2950
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Re: [Announcement] Ogre3D sadly not part of GSoC 2014

Post by al2950 »

:( Oh well, I guess it gives us time to polish current code base and get previous GSOC fully integrated. Maybe the powers that be at Google decided Ogre 3D was stepping too far head relative to other open source graphic engines :D
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

WorldForge, which uses Ogre for one of it's clients, did get in. So that's cool. :)

The only 3d engines I could find that got accepted were JMonkey and Crystal Space.
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

Fun Fact: it happened to Boost too before. It helped Boost people better organize their GSoC for the following year.

So I'm not worried.
scrawl
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by scrawl »

I can understand their decision. We are on the verge of shifting focus to 2.x. In many ways, it will be an entirely different product. I am sure it will be successful, but for Google it is a big risk. Having a split focus will also make it a bit harder to integrate GSOC projects.
Fun Fact: it happened to Boost too before. It helped Boost people better organize their GSoC for the following year.

So I'm not worried.
That is also a good point.
greendogo
Gnoblar

Post by greendogo »

Gimp also isn't part of GSoC this year either. Though, whether or not they applied, I'm unsure, but they usually do.
Azatoth
Gnome

Post by Azatoth »

I'm sorry to hear that you weren't accepted.
But as Kojack mentioned the Worldforge project was accepted this year, and we do use a lot of Ogre.
I added a post about it over here.
Ember, GPL virtual world client.
Development blog
iblues1976
Gnome

Post by iblues1976 »

I wonder if they would give any feedback.
I'm not sure how it works. When publishing papers (which is a lot easier than getting accepted for GSoC), you will get some feedback in the rejection notice. (Sometimes some of the reviews are not so nice :) )

Anyways, better luck next year!
iblues1976
Gnome

Post by iblues1976 »

Not that I'm into conspiracy theories, but I wonder if there is a conspiracy. This would had help OGRE 2.0++ a lot, I think... getting into GSoC 2014...

Of course, I watch "Ancient Aliens" series (which jump the shark already)
brlcad
Gnoblar

Post by brlcad »

Sorry for reviving an older thread. I just wanted to share that it's completely normal for mature organizations that have participated several years in a row without a break to not get reselected for GSoC. The OSPO team intentionally does this not just to let other younger orgs participate that might not otherwise, but also to prevent mentor/org burnout.

Unless the Carol or someone else on the OSPO team specifically said something was messed up (there is a org selection feedback session every year), it just happened to be OGRE's turn. It also means almost certain acceptance for the next few years until it's your turn again. Some orgs voluntarily do this every 3-4 years.

Source: Admin for several orgs, closely worked with the OSPO team for nearly a decade, and had many discussions about this over the years.

Cheers!
Sean