Project Generator App

Discussion area about developing with Ogre-Next (2.1, 2.2 and beyond)

petrocket
Gremlin

Project Generator App

Post by petrocket »

Just throwing this out there. I was messing around with openframeworks (http://openframeworks.cc/) and they have a project generator that works on most major platforms and simplifies generating projects that use their SDK a lot. What this might look like for OGRE 2.0 would be that when you download an SDK for your platform it includes this project generator application that lets you pick the plugins, media, components (terrain, paging etc) in a simple GUI and spits out a project, ready to compile, at a user-picked location.

A super nice feature would be if it could spit out a project in such a way that it kept OS specific code for that project in one place and OS agnostic code in another place for those interested in using OGRE in cross platform situations.

Another possible feature this project generator could have would be that it could download the plugins automatically from sourceforge so we wouldn't have to bundle them in the SDK.

Couple images of the OpenFrameworks project generator UI:

Ogre API & Manual | Ogre Wiki

blog | website | work

Follow me on twitter @ twitter.com/petrocket
Herb
Orc

Re: Project Generator App

Post by Herb »

This seems similar to jacmoe's AppWizard tool. As it generates new ogre project files for multiple platforms automatically. Sounds like you almost extend that with a few more features than re-write one from scratch.
c6burns
Beholder

Post by c6burns »

I'd say stick with CMake since it's already what you are using to build the SDK. There's a CMake sample project already in the wiki:
http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/Building ... With+CMake
TheSHEEEP
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by TheSHEEEP »

CMake isn't bad if you are experienced, but it is rather horrible if you are a newcomer. And shoving even more options on top of that unintuitive interface would probably not be helping much ;)
I'd also favor an easier to use tool that you could also use to create a template project for various platforms.
Like, CMake-like builder + AppWizard in one application.

But that would be no easy task to write. I started once, and was halfway done with an automated Ogre builder, but then my disk crashed and I lost all data. And had no time for something like that since then.
My site! - Have a look :)
Also on Twitter - extra fluffy
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

I think it looks good for an end user as cmake interface isn't brilliant. No reason a generator couldn't be using cmake under the hood either.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...