Whois.org

A place for Ogre users to discuss non-Ogre subjects with friends from the community.
LJS
Greenskin

Whois.org

Post by LJS »

Hiya,

Having fiddled with it and liking it I have an odd question maybe. Who, not what, is ogre3d.org and why, not how, this ogre project?

Ogre makes my free time more fun, so thanks :mrgreen: .

R,

edit: corrected the typo
Last edited by LJS on Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(am very clumbsy, especially with words on a static screen.)
Ogre 3D 1.9.0 static
Bullet 2.8 static
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: Whois.org

Post by spacegaier »

Not really sure what you mean, but ogre.org is not part of the Ogre3D community/project. IT seems to be a Japanese company owning that domain.
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
LJS
Greenskin

Post by LJS »

right, my '3' and 'd' keys suposed to work ;)

What I meant is who is the team of Ogre3D. I know the page where you all are introduced but besides maintaining and developing Ogre3D, who, what is it. Are you from a company, or just building your resume?

Or just having some fun, bitwise.

R,
Ogre 3D 1.9.0 static
Bullet 2.8 static
c6burns
Beholder

Post by c6burns »

Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

LJS wrote:right, my '3' and 'd' keys suposed to work ;)

What I meant is who is the team of Ogre3D. I know the page where you all are introduced but besides maintaining and developing Ogre3D, who, what is it. Are you from a company, or just building your resume?

Or just having some fun, bitwise.

R,
Ogre's Team was initially Sinbad, who had this side-project gathering it's experience on working on 3d graphic engine. Setting it open source allowed people around the world to use it and provide improvement.
People improving it regularly have been designated at the Team by Sinbad who gave them more control on the project. Currently Sinbad is not the leader of the team anymore, he works mainly on other projects.
Anyway, what this mean is that people working on Ogre are basically people using Ogre, either at work or on side projects, or people willing to help people who needs Ogre.
My understanding is that there is some people selling their services to companies using Ogre to help them, and most of these people are in the Ogre Team.

So as for any open source project, people around here are just Ogre users and sometime improvers of Ogre's code.
LJS
Greenskin

Post by LJS »

Thanks for all replies. It's always good to know a bit more about a project its being itself.

Have to say, Ogre3D has a steep learning curve. Especially when sentence 'learn c++ first' applies to you but it is worth it and when you know what you are doing it is really easy. Actually Ogre3D was kinda like intimidating. Did fiddle with irrlicht too, used to be my favorite and gave me the base of my knowledge now.
people around here are just Ogre users
Me is an ogre too, didn't knew that.

R,
Ogre 3D 1.9.0 static
Bullet 2.8 static