Ogre version numbers

Discussion area about developing or extending OGRE, adding plugins for it or building applications on it. No newbie questions please, use the Help forum for that.
Transporter
Minaton

Ogre version numbers

Post by Transporter »

Hi,

I like to open a discussion about ogre version numbers. There are about 180 commits for ogre 1.9.0 after the release on 1st December 2013. Should the last digit of the version number not be increased after each release? My current 1.9.0 from source is different than the official release of 1.9.0. I mean that all patches after the release 1.9.0 should be part of 1.9.1. This also simplifies the publication of interim versions. Maybe you can publish a patched version (1.9.1, 1.9.2, etc.) so every three months after a release.

What are your suggestions and opinions on the subject?

Regards,
Transporter
TheSHEEEP
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Re: Ogre version numbers

Post by TheSHEEEP »

Wouldn't that lead to 1.9.X and 1.10 being almost identical?
Not sure if that makes much sense, but I am pretty neutral in this matter.
My site! - Have a look :)
Also on Twitter - extra fluffy
Transporter
Minaton

Post by Transporter »

TheSHEEEP wrote:Wouldn't that lead to 1.9.X and 1.10 being almost identical?
Not sure if that makes much sense, but I am pretty neutral in this matter.
In this case I'm not up to date, because ther should be some differences:
spacegaier wrote:Q: Why are the GSoC 2013 projects not included in Ogre 1.9 and what is Ogre 1.10?
A: We thought about that but then decided against it, since that would delay 1.9 further and would potentially bring in some unforeseen instabilities. Instead we opted to create a previously unplanned version inbetween now and Ogre 2.0, namely Ogre 1.10 (version name will be announced soon ;) ). That version will include the first three GSoC projects: OpenGL3+, DirectX11 as well as Progressive Mesh improvements. The other two projects (Ogre 2.0 redesign and ResourceSystem redesign) will be merged into Ogre 2.0 since they represent major (API) changes.
http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=79067
TheSHEEEP
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by TheSHEEEP »

Yes, but that is what I meant with "almost identical".
There might be new features in 1.10, but no groundbreaking changes like 2.0 will introduce.

As I said, I am pretty neutral here. It might make sense to make a last release of 1.9 as soon as 1.10 comes out to mark the difference in the feature set.
My site! - Have a look :)
Also on Twitter - extra fluffy
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

TheSHEEEP wrote:Yes, but that is what I meant with "almost identical".
There might be new features in 1.10, but no groundbreaking changes like 2.0 will introduce.
In 1.10 there is nothing groundbreaking but API-breaking so there definitely is the need for a new version next to 1.9 and there are also quite some changes that are specific to 1.10, e.g. thinking of all the D3D11 additions/improvements and the GSoC projects.

It might however make sense to release another 1.9 minor version as a maintenance release...
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

I don't see the problem with the current versionning, it apparently follows http://semver.org/ which is helpful.
To me 1.10 is interface breaking.
Transporter
Minaton

Post by Transporter »

1.9.0 -> 1.9.1

http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=81998

I would like to increase the PATCH part of the version in order to take care of recent changes after the release of 1.9.0.
c6burns
Beholder

Post by c6burns »

As long as you are not proposing to put anything but bugfixes into v1-9, which it sounds like no you are just packaging an SDK from it