What game are you playing now?

A place for Ogre users to discuss non-Ogre subjects with friends from the community.
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Re: What game are you playing now?

Post by Zonder »

I've been playing Star Ocean: The Second Story. I have had it for years but only just got round to it :S. Using my PS3 to play it I couldn't be bothered setting up the PS1 :)

So far I am liking it can feel where the other games get a lot of things from. Combat is boring though just keep pressing X or L1 now and again... I might switch to one of the other characters as leader for a bit to see what a spell caster is like.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

Started playing RockSmith with my electric guitar (Gibson), and it's pretty fun. It also teach me some things I didn't learn yet.
Even if it's not perfect as a teaching tool, it's a good complement. I like that it exposes me to a lot of variety of music.

However I'm not happy that there is no Oceansize, Magma, and other progressive kind of music...
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

I wish I could play an instrument, but my musical talent is actually below zero (I can disrupt the musical ability of others just by proximity).

I haven't finished Divinity yet (124 hours in). I took a break due to marking assignments, then haven't gotten back to it yet.
I just finished replaying Metro Last Light. Cool game, although I dislike some aspects of it (checkpoint saves, arcady bits where you must fight waves of enemies for a time period (waiting for raft, waiting for elevator, waiting for raft)).

I'm not sure what to play next.
Alien Isolation just came out, but I'm iffy on it. There's a lot of positive reviews, but the few negative ones seem to make some good points. I don't trust most reviews though, I think I'll wait for Total Biscuit to talk about it. Plus I'm annoyed they aren't releasing the Oculus Rift demo they've been showing at conventions. (I'm a fan of AVP 1 (rebellion) and AVP 2 (monolith), Alien games without pulse rifles are just wrong)

I want a new post apocalyptic game from a russian style region. There's only so many times I can replay the 3 Stalker and 2 Metro games. I just love that setting. I like post apocalyptic in general, but in a russian setting it has a more alien feeling due to general cultural and architectural differences.

Some more upcoming games that sound interesting: Styx Master Of Shadows, The Evil Within (although I've never had an interest in previous Shinji Mikami games).
c6burns
Beholder

Post by c6burns »

I have seen Aliens no less than 50 times. Possibly my favorite movie. Yet game after game picks up the alien franchise and fails on the whole to deliver anything really great. Alien Isolation looks like it won't end this streak of underwhelming games. AvP remake has been the best thing in the franchise for quite some time ... it had its problems, but it delivered some real fun. And yes ... it had pulse rifles xD Though I take it Isolation seeks to invoke the original Alien (1979) feeling, as opposed to the 1986 sequel. No marines, no ultimate badasses, just 1v1 trying to survive.

I might end up getting Alien Isolation anyway. It's hard for me to resist an alien game even if it has problems
mmixLinus
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by mmixLinus »

For me, I think Aliens is only second to Bladerunner. And maybe Alien. : )

"That's it, man. Game over, man. Game over!"
Powered by Ogre3D:
MMiX.Me 3D - 3D Music Player
Galaxy Navigator 3D - 2 million stars (ESA's Gaia satellite)
YouTube|Facebook
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

Alien Isolation is on my list. I expect a lot from it.
c6burns
Beholder

Post by c6burns »

mmixLinus wrote:For me, I think Aliens is only second to Bladerunner. And maybe Alien. : )

"That's it, man. Game over, man. Game over!"
Oooooooh Blade Runner. Damn that's a classic! It's hard to think of a single author that's had more success in being translated to the big screen than Philip K Dick ( ... maybe Elmore Leonard). I showed someone Blade Runner recently because they asked what the deal with that movie was. At the end they were like OK, it was good, but why do people make such a big deal out of it? Then I blew their mind explaining it came out in 1982 and they just watched the *30th* anniversary edition haha.

I got Alien Isolation. Too scary to play alone at night so I stopped playing last night :lol: I'm such a wuss. I never realized how much scarier the concept of aliens are when you are just running around with flares and a wrench. No trusty pulse rifles or ultimate badasses to help you out :( I'll try some more today. I haven't played enough to experience the frustration some of the game reviews are expressing.
insider
Orc

Post by insider »

c6burns wrote: Too scary to play alone at night so I stopped playing last night :lol:
Alright I just couldn't resist anymore. :lol:

c6burns
Beholder

Post by c6burns »

:lol:
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

I went slightly old school, I bought Tron 2.0 on steam. (well, not really old school, but games from 11 years ago do feel a bit dated)

It's got the wrong aspect ratio and wrong resolution (and the unofficial patch just crashes for me), but it's pretty fun. Running around neon levels that remind me of the Jedi Knight series (catwalks over huge chasms, boxes moving around the place, etc. Lots of health and safety violations like no safety railings around what look like endless drops) while throwing electric frisbees at enemies.

It's a bit weird hearing characters in the game talk about tracking down the "Tron Legacy" code, when that's the name of the Tron movie that came out 7 years later. Coincidence?
There's even a bar with a DJ and turntables, but sadly he didn't look like either of Daft Punk.

It's using the Lithtech engine and was made by Monolith.

[youtube]GS_CGIlbZFA[/youtube]
cybereality
Hobgoblin

Post by cybereality »

I've been playing Skullgirls. It's actually a pretty fun fighting game, similar to DarkStalkers.

For some reason the whole game is super easy until the boss, who is annoyingly hard. But the game is still cool.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Wooooo! Legend of Grimrock 2 is out!
I grabbed it from GOG (yay for DRM free).

Definitely the nicest looking Dungeon Master descendent I've ever seen. The outdoor areas look great.

[youtube]E5sA_tyTM94[/youtube]

It's still feels weird going back to this style of movement, even though I grew up with Dungeon Master, Bloodwych, Eye Of The Beholder, Black Crypt, Captive, etc. In fact the first computer game I ever owned was Androne on the TRS-80, with the same first person grid movement as all these games.
I guess free movement as spoiled me.

I might grab Borderlands Presequel tonight.
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

Planned to get Grimrock 2 next month and a few other games too.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Borderlands 2 cost me $37.50 when it first came out.
Borderlands Presequel costs $69.99.
But I've heard it feels more like DLC than a true sequel.
Considering I got 150 hours out of B2, for that price the game had better give me 300 hours of single player without getting bored.

(I'll just wait for a sale instead).
c6burns
Beholder

Post by c6burns »

Kojack wrote:150 hours
More time than I spent playing Betrayal at Krondor :shock:
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Legends Of Grimrock 2 is rather brutal. I'm only on normal difficulty, but most enemies can kill my characters in 2-3 hits while it takes 10-20 hits for me to kill them. There's very little equipment around, enemies don't seem to respawn so there's not much food around either. I'm level 4 and my fighter is still using a bone I found on the starter beach as a club, because it's the only heavy weapon I've found so far. I don't even have clothing for everyone yet.
Still having fun though.
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

Feels like the normal Grimrock, it was brutal too, from what I remember.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Blizzard are making a first person shooter called Overwatch. Interesting.
Oh wait, it's team deathmatch. Not interesting.

:)

I got Wolfenstein The New Order last night. It was 50% off, so it "only" cost $39. One of the downsides to living in australia.
Not bad so far.
c6burns
Beholder

Post by c6burns »

Yay BlizzCon :lol: I saw the OverWatch cinematic trailer they released and got really stoked, because I think Blizz are a great studio, but their existing IP is a bit worn out for me now. Cant take much more Warcraft or Starcraft. But yeah it basically looks like a Team Fortress 2 clone set in their own kinda Avengers superhero-ey world. I'm too terrible at deathmatch FPS to enjoy any game like that. Spawn -> run 5 steps -> dead -> repeat haha
cybereality
Hobgoblin

Post by cybereality »

I started with F.E.A.R. Online. Sort of reminds me of Counter-Strike but with a more arcade feel to it. It's free-to-play if anyone wants to try it out. The graphics are a little dated, but performance seems smooth. I like that you can just run into a corridor, guns blazing John Rambo-style and actually get kills. Figured I'd play something to kill some time until my until my mega Nvidia 3D Surround setup is complete.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Wolfenstein suffers from a design decision that really annoys me in games: reducing my inventory between missions. I finish one level with 300 rifle ammo. I start the next level with 45 ammo, and my shotguns are missing. I can pick up 5 throwing knives in the resistance base, but when they then send me on a mission the knives are gone again.
It reminds me of Soldier Of Fortune, in that game every mission started off with minimal ammo.

It's interesting that they completely dropped the paranormal elements of Return To Castle Wolfenstein and Wolfenstein 2009, even though this one is a continuation of Wolfenstein's story (mostly).
I'm not sure which style I prefer. I like Silent Storm and Iron Sky, so advanced nazi robots and high tech stuff is fun (to kill!). But I also like Dead Snow, so undead nazis are cool enemies too.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Awesome review of Assassin's Creed Unity I found on twitter. :)

c6burns
Beholder

Post by c6burns »

You level him up by "hacking" into your bank account to drain real money at 60 FPS. The rest of the game runs at a solid 12 FPS
:lol:
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

[youtube]5DzsFMsIZPM[/youtube]

[youtube]zgKJWS_fDM8[/youtube]

Poor AC Unity. It seems to have a few problems.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Farcry 4 comes out on Tuesday.
I liked Farcry 3 and Farcry 1. I kind of liked Farcry 2 (but not as much as the other 2). I'd like to get Farcry 4.

But there's already concerns for it. While reviews for the console versions are already out, reviewers won't receive the PC version until the day the game is released. Yep, PC version is delayed so no reviews will be available before release, the same as Ubisoft did for Assassin's Creed Unity, and look how that turned out!
Will the PC version suck? Will it do something like 50,000 draw calls per frame like AC Unity apparently does?

Ubisoft's shares have already dropped 12.8%, what will they drop to if Farcry 4 is also plagued with issues?