Android

Discussion area about developing with Ogre-Next (2.1, 2.2 and beyond)

c6burns
Beholder

Android

Post by c6burns »

Porting my existing project was not as bad as I thought it would be. Everything works fairly easily and I notice some API overhead got knocked out (5-10% framerate boost in all my scenes :D :D :D). I'm sure I can even make some more improvements to my scenes as I come to understand 2.0 a bit better (eg. static nodes / items over entities / etc).

I see some issues that were fixed in 1.9 GLES2 aren't fixed in 2.0 (some android lifecycle issues, build issues, EGL issues). Are you interested in PRs at this time, or wait for the incoming hlms merge?
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: Android

Post by dark_sylinc »

Do you have the link to the repo?

It depends on the kind of changes. Hlms was working great with GLES2 (considerably faster by the way); but currently it's broken (only GL3+ at the moment).
So I figgure I'll probably should be accepting PRs for Android until everything gets sorted out.

It's nice to hear 2.0 CTP already got you a boost.
c6burns
Beholder

Re: Android

Post by c6burns »

Not sure my current project can move completely to 2.0 as I am pretty late in the game now. Still, I wanted to try things out and see the awesome work taking shape in 2.0 :D

I think I'll hold back changes, I don't want to slow anything down. Seems like Android lifecycle junk is the last worry for now ... when what's molten starts to cool down and take final shape then it'll be time to fix all of that. Keep up the great work!