Where is Ogre::Bone?

Discussion area about developing with Ogre-Next (2.1, 2.2 and beyond)

hydexon
Gremlin

Where is Ogre::Bone?

Post by hydexon »

Title.

But if i remember well, seems some area of Animation, removed the Bone class because the TagPoints are broken?
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: Where is Ogre::Bone?

Post by dark_sylinc »

It was renamed as OldBone; which derives from OldNode.
All the functionality from OldBone has been retained except for TagPoints. Not something we'll really miss because the 1.x version of TagPoints were really, really bad (tons of bugs). Skeleton was renamed to OldSkeleton, and so on.

There is a new (experimental yet) Skeleton system under Animation/Bone.h
However it also doesn't support TagPoints or similar functionality (yet!)

For the moment only InstancedEntity can use the new skeleton system and you need first to disable OGRE_LEGACY_ANIMATIONS from CMake.
hydexon
Gremlin

Post by hydexon »

dark_sylinc wrote:It was renamed as OldBone; which derives from OldNode.
All the functionality from OldBone has been retained except for TagPoints. Not something we'll really miss because the 1.x version of TagPoints were really, really bad (tons of bugs). Skeleton was renamed to OldSkeleton, and so on.

There is a new (experimental yet) Skeleton system under Animation/Bone.h
However it also doesn't support TagPoints or similar functionality (yet!)

For the moment only InstancedEntity can use the new skeleton system and you need first to disable OGRE_LEGACY_ANIMATIONS from CMake.
Thanks you for the information, was attempting to port Smartbody to use Ogre 2.0 but i see his examples has extensive use of the Ogre::Bone class.
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

hydexon wrote:Thanks you for the information, was attempting to port Smartbody to use Ogre 2.0 but i see his examples has extensive use of the Ogre::Bone class.
Well, it's mostly a "Find and Replace" job.

For Ogre 2.0 Final I'm actually considering restoring the name back to Bone, but enclosing it in the v1 namespace, for the sake of consistency.

The v1 skeleton system will still be supported for a long time, as the new one proved to be really good at playback performance (e.g. most games, crowds), but sucks at being flexible for realtime editing of the bones and animations; and you can import from v1 into v2 skeletons.