OgreAddons Resurrect

A place for users of OGRE to discuss ideas and experiences of utilitising OGRE in their games / demos / applications.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

OgreAddons Resurrect

Post by jacmoe »

ogreaddons-64.png
ogreaddons-64.png (5.66 KiB) Viewed 36962 times
OgreAddons
The Ogre code suppository -> https://bitbucket.org/ogreaddons

HipChat room: http://www.hipchat.com/gal7YYRu4

What is it?
It is a collection of useful Ogre projects that has fallen without a steady maintainer.

Why?
The old ogreaddons repository on Sourceforge uses SVN and it is cumbersome to contribute the odd patch. We need something a bit more distributed.
Instead of letting code rot or scatter all around the globe, it would be nice to group those projects together as separate repositories under the care of the Bitbucket team 'OgreAddons'.

Really, why?
OK. Ogitor will be moving their dependencies out of their main repository into separate repositories to keep the main repository clean and tidy, and instead use CMake External Projects to automatically pull down the code and build it out of source (see below).
We know that several of those dependencies seems to be the only actively maintained copies left, so instead of putting the dependencies up under Ogitor Team, we thought: why not put into a new OgreAddons collection so that it can become easier to contribute improvements back to them without having to grab Ogitor?

How?
Fork, improve, issue pull requests or even ask to get developer access so that you can help yourself.
It should be easy to contribute the occasional fix, without taking full on responsibility.

Who?
The OgreAddons team is open, if you want developer access then shout.
OgreAddons is supposed to be maintained by the Ogre Community, that is you. ;)

What?
There are currently 39 projects under the OgreAddons 'umbrella'.
  • Scape
  • PagedGeometry
  • SkyX
  • MeshMagick
  • HYDRAX
  • Caelum
  • ogrephysx
  • OgreRecastDemo
  • OgreRecast
  • ogre-script-serializer
  • visual-experiments
  • OgreCrowd
  • OgreDecal
  • ogre-ccs
  • TechnoFreak animation blend editor
  • Ogre Debug Drawing Utility
  • ogreappwizards
  • twogregui
  • ogreassimp
  • QtOgreFramework
  • Animacion
  • ClipmapTerrain
  • dbmArchive
  • ogre-7z
  • Ogremhx
  • gpusphsim
  • dotsceneformat
  • ogre-URL
  • wx-ogre
  • llcoi
  • new-minimal-ogre-collision
  • ogremeshmerge
  • ogre-pixel-city
  • ruby-ogre
  • QuakeToOgre
  • Cutexture
  • ogreHTML
  • EasyIK
  • Depth-of-field-compositor
Rules of Engagement
Only projects which have been without maintainer is eligible for addition to the OgreAddons code suppository.
Border cases can be created as a fork of the original, making it possible to issue pull requests against the original repository.

Repository Donations Accepted
It is possible to transfer your repository to the OgreAddons user, or one of the OgreAddons team, if you happen to have no time to tend to it.

Note: This page will be updated as things develop.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
original topic below
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I just checked out ogreaddons from Sourceforge..
Man, there's just so much code in there! :)

It's very depressing to see that the code just sits there and rots away..

I've been thinking of creating an OgreAddons team at Bitbucket and add some of the projects to it, without repository history (because it's in the old Sourceforge repository) for simplicity.

If the OgreAddons team creates the repositories it would be one repository per project and still collected in the OgreAddons 'namespace'.
It would be much easier for people to fork and issue pull requests and even step up as maintainers.

What do you think?

We really don't have an active collection of OgreAddons projects atm. ;)
Last edited by jacmoe on Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:23 am, edited 16 times in total.
Reason: Added HipChat room link
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
hydexon
Gremlin

Re: OgreAddons Resurrect

Post by hydexon »

Yeah. I see that OgreAddons was active in his time which i call "The Golden Age of OGRE", but now seems really dead
I grab respository archives to get some bits of code i need in my projects, mostly the FSRad conversion to OGRE, and the SQLArchive which i need to do some work on it.

I've been thinking of creating an OgreAddons team at Bitbucket and add some of the projects to it, without repository history (because it's in the old Sourceforge repository) for simplicity.

If the OgreAddons team creates the repositories it would be one repository per project and still collected in the OgreAddons 'namespace'.
It would be much easier for people to fork and issue pull requests and even step up as maintainers.
Thats would be an great idea, also i was thinking to create our own version of an Package/Module/Add-on Manager which downloads/updates addons for OGRE, i used an internal one written in FreePascal in Windows to deal with messy building settings on Windows.
frostbyte
Orc Shaman

Post by frostbyte »

jackmoe wrote:
I've been thinking of creating an OgreAddons team at Bitbucket and add some of the projects to it
yeah, +1, like...
already suggested that...
http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 25#p511501
http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 75#p511686

i don't care much for the currrent code in OGRE-ADDONS, but a lot great plugins and projects are just scattered around,
a central git/hg repository for all plugins addons and ogre related projects would be a game changer

unfortunately, i'm in no position right now to be responsible for stuff( lack of time/energy... )
so coming from you jacmoe, it sounds like much more than just a good idea... :wink:
and so i'd say to just go ahead and do it!!!
it would be preferable however for the eco-system, if ogre team is to annouce this as an OFFICIAL ogre repository...
hydexon wrote:
also i was thinking to create our own version of an Package/Module/Add-on Manager which downloads/updates addons for OGRE, i used an internal one written in FreePascal in Windows to deal with messy building settings on Windows.
better alternatives( cmake based package managers ) are discussed here...
http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 80#p513808
the woods are lovely dark and deep
but i have promises to keep
and miles to code before i sleep
and miles to code before i sleep..

coolest videos link( two minutes paper )...
https://www.youtube.com/user/keeroyz/videos
al2950
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by al2950 »

+1 to everything mentioned here. :D
c6burns
Beholder

Post by c6burns »

frostbyte wrote:it would be preferable however for the eco-system, if ogre team is to annouce this as an OFFICIAL ogre repository...
Most of those addons are as official as they are ever going to get :lol: This all goes back to the whole "what is OGRE?" question, to which the answer is "a rendering framework" and not "a collection of every useful thing ever built on top of a rendering framework". Also whats the difference between "official" and "up to date and working" in terms of utility?
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

You got it wrong. :)

I am looking for a collection of useful Ogre projects which have become without a maintainer.
A community looked after junkyard of code that is too useful to abandon entirely.
So let's put it up where it can be found and where people can contribute the odd patch without taking responsibility for it.

I have a strong suspicion that there are projects out there not contributing their improvements back to ogreaddons because SVN is just too cumbersome for collaboration. It's not convenient. You can't just fork and issue a pull request.

Just thinking out loud. ;)
frostbyte
Orc Shaman

Post by frostbyte »

Also whats the difference between "official" and "up to date and working" in terms of utility?
in terms of utility - none...
the difference as i see it, is on how developers will be willing to invest, use and contribute to the ogre eco-system
true that ogre is "just" a rendering engine, but being an Ostrich and continue ignoring all that surronds it( eco-system and competition ) is just...
well...you know...being an Ostrich :)
enough of this philosophical mambo jabmo...jackmoe, repository is up yet? :wink:

I am looking for a collection of useful Ogre projects which have become without a maintainer.
i would dare say lots of ogre related projects are kind of "abandoned"...far beyond OGRE_ADDONS...
most physics plugins...numeros terrain systems...animation system( techno-freak)...camera system...lots of small code "snipplets"...
and lots of stuff i dont know or can't think about...( maybe it's a good idea to concatenate all of them in one post where anyone can post a link to such codes... )

anyway beside maintaining OGRE_ADDONS this can be the begining of something far greater...

c6burns
Beholder

Post by c6burns »

frostbyte wrote:competition
There's a weird pageant mom mentality for some users surrounding OGRE in relation to the big middleware frameworks. Why can't it just be enough to organize the addons for easy contributions and blow some dust off a few gems? Why does this have to relate to some broader vision of competing with for-profit middleware where OGRE earns the crown of Queen Pretty? (Hint: it doesnt!)

When I first tried to use PagedGeometry I grabbed the code from ogre addons and it was old and outdated. I ended up hijacking most of my addons from Ogitor (thanks Ogitor folks!). I can't imagine how many more gems are in there that the community could fairly easily update ... I applaud any and all noble addon resurrection efforts (from the sidelines, though :oops:)
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

The reason why I am bringing this up now is that I am going to move Ogitor dependencies out of our main repository and into separate repositories, originally thought to be owned by Ogitor Team, but it occured to me now that it would probably be better to group them under a new OgreAddons team.

That means that HYDRAX, Caelum, PagedGeometry, etc. gets their own repo.

How is that practical for Ogitor?

Well, this is what is left of our Dependencies directory:

Code: Select all

cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.8.4)

project(Dependencies)

SET(CMAKE_DEBUG_POSTFIX "_d")
set(CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX "${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}/lib")

# External Projects
include(ExternalProject)

# Angelscript
ExternalProject_Add(Angelscript
  URL http://www.angelcode.com/angelscript/sdk/files/angelscript_2.29.2.zip
  PREFIX ${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}
  CMAKE_ARGS -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=${CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE} -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR} -DCMAKE_LIBRARY_OUTPUT_PATH=${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}/lib -DCMAKE_DEBUG_POSTFIX=${CMAKE_DEBUG_POSTFIX}
  BUILD_IN_SOURCE 1
  PATCH_COMMAND ${CMAKE_COMMAND} -E copy
      "${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/scripts/angelscript/CMakeLists.txt" ${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}/src/Angelscript/CMakeLists.txt
)
set_target_properties(Angelscript PROPERTIES FOLDER Dependencies) 

# Qt PropertyBrowser
ExternalProject_Add(QtSolutions_PropertyBrowser
  HG_REPOSITORY https://bitbucket.org/ogitor/ogitor-qtpropertybrowser
  CMAKE_ARGS -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=${CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE} -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}/RunPath -DCMAKE_DEBUG_POSTFIX=${CMAKE_DEBUG_POSTFIX}
  BUILD_IN_SOURCE 1
)
set_target_properties(QtSolutions_PropertyBrowser PROPERTIES FOLDER Dependencies) 

# Test Scene
ExternalProject_Add(TestScene
  URL https://bitbucket.org/ogitor/ogitor/downloads/test.zip
  PATCH_COMMAND ${CMAKE_COMMAND} -E copy
      "${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}/src/TestScene/test.ofs" "${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}/RunPath/bin/test.ofs"
  CONFIGURE_COMMAND ""
  BUILD_COMMAND ""
  INSTALL_COMMAND ""
)
set_target_properties(TestScene PROPERTIES FOLDER Assets) 
That means that our source tree is not cluttered by third-party code. Everything gets pulled down and built in our build directory. :)
External Projects FTW.

Big kudos to Transporter for submitting pull requests on a regular basis - really helped keep those addon projects alive.

We might not use all of those dependencies, but I am probably going to put them up there anyway.
And then we can see if it takes off, or not.
c6burns
Beholder

Post by c6burns »

Oh that is absolutely perfect! Having those super useful Ogitor addons (many of which I use, and do have changes I held back :oops:) in their own repo and building as external projects is optimal. Hydrax has at least 3 places it "kinda" lives on the interwebz and I'm sure the others are in a similar boat.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

I transferred two of my projects to the OgreAddons team, to get it started. :)

https://bitbucket.org/ogreaddons

I will probably add Spacegaier and Stealth977 (the rest of the Ogitor team :P ) to OgreAddons, but it is not a closed team, so if you want to join, ask.
frostbyte
Orc Shaman

Post by frostbyte »

Why can't it just be enough to organize the addons for easy contributions and blow some dust off a few gems?
thats all i ever wanted...
There's a weird pageant mom mentality for some users surrounding OGRE in relation to the big middleware frameworks.
long live "pageant mom mentality"....and don't forget to say thanks for that mentality bringing you here...
sorry if the word "competition" is buzziing your ears...
i did'nt mean compete in terms of winning over...its just how technology moves...
was ogre 2.0 created to better than ogre 1.x...( hint: no: it was created to match current technology and users expectations... )
to be uncompetitive in todays market is not to be at all or to become a hobby project...( not the case for OGRE )

lucky for you coming from "gaming industy" you don't have this concerns, each game is a world apart, thats the beauty of "gaming industy" which i've recently learned to appriciate, you can just do your thing and not give a damn about what others are doing...
but when dealing with hardcore tech performance and usabilty, you have to maintain some balance with the market....
Last edited by frostbyte on Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

frostbyte
Orc Shaman

Post by frostbyte »

I transferred two of my projects to the OgreAddons team, to get it started. :)
pure magic...better late than later.... :D
ahhh...it keeps growing as i watch it.... :lol:
jackmoe...you're the greatest...( it's like when gandalf comes back...) :wink:

jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Now they are all there.
Some of them will be actively used by Ogitor, the rest is up to you :)

Repository transfers always accepted...
frostbyte
Orc Shaman

Post by frostbyte »

Repository transfers always accepted...
how can one do that?

jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Repository - Settings - Transfer repository (IIRC).
frostbyte
Orc Shaman

Post by frostbyte »

thanks jacmoe...
to whomever wish to contribute: https://confluence.atlassian.com/displa ... +ownership
Last edited by frostbyte on Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

I have stickied the topic.

Current list:
  • ogreappwizards
  • SkyX
  • MeshMagick
  • PagedGeometry
  • HYDRAX
  • Caelum
  • twogregui
  • ogreassimp
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository. ;)
c6burns
Beholder

Post by c6burns »

frostbyte wrote:long live "pageant mom mentality"....and don't forget to say thanks for that mentality bringing you here...
I'm here for more pragmatic reasons, but I guess I get what you are saying ... the dream of matching commercial software as an OSS project is what pulls some people in and some of those people end up being contributors and then I end up here using the code they contributed. OK fine you can win this one :P
frostbyte
Orc Shaman

Post by frostbyte »

I'm here for more pragmatic reasons,
haha...i meant here as in c6burn=baby->transformToAdult->using ogre.... i guess here can mean lots of places...
but thanks for winning this round for me, actualy you make some good points... :lol:
really don't care to win or lose debates...win/win is the best!!!
thanks jackmoe for materializing this... :D

now, this repository needs to gain attention in order for it to grow and get more contibuters/users...
i afraid this single post might be uneffective and get lost( but maybe thats just the my pregment mom side speaking... )
mmm...news?
Last edited by frostbyte on Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Let's give it some time. :)
I made the topic sticky so it should be visible for all but the blindest Ogre users.
I will ask Spacegaier to write it into the Ogre News if it takes off.
al2950
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by al2950 »

Awesome, why didnt we think of this earlier!

Its will be really helpful having these things on bitbucket, it makes it so easy to contribute. Further to that its great to have all the libs on one place, and on that note would it make sense to put things like Procedural Geometry in there as well, (although in my opinion it should go into the core :)) ? Or would that cause issues with regards to write permissions on the repo
frostbyte
Orc Shaman

Post by frostbyte »

would it make sense to put things like Procedural Geometry in there as well
jackmoe, claims that this repo is for code without maintainers( not the case for procedural... )
but i think we should implore repo-maintainers to move their business here :D

jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

I added Ogre Debug Drawing Utility just to prove that sometimes an OgreAddons project can be a clone.
The maintainers last push was in 2011 so I am not holding my breath.
But the code is far too useful to not use, IMO. Or even add to.

Are there any projects from the original ogreaddons repository that we ought to add?
frostbyte
Orc Shaman

Post by frostbyte »

Are there any projects from the original ogreaddons repository that we ought to add?
so much useless technology :lol:
problem is some might consider them useful some not...
unless you are going to do a survey, i'd say go for the popular...you know...opcode, bullet and friends...
blender stuff seems to be quite important...sketchupexporter borderline useful....worldminion looks like an interesting experiment...
would it make sense to put things like Procedural Geometry in there as well, (although in my opinion it should go into the core :)) ? Or would that cause issues with regards to write permissions on the repo
mmm...some useful projects "sort of have" maintainers like the ccs plugin that got 2 small commits in the last 3 years
i think we'll be doing this projects a favour - bringing them back to spotlight...
for some projects perhaps its better to just let them RIP( rot in peace )
on others its hard to decide: like this one....https://code.google.com/p/mudbath/

one strategy is just to add all barely and unmaintained codes without filtering and let nature take its course...
another strategy is just to transfer the repos and count on jacmoe to filter....
i prefer unfiltered( unless its actively maintained ) since i don't think we have the right to choose for others what is important and whats not...

on reltated notes:
i think it may be useful to add a repo containing just links to actively maintained addons and projects
this way anyone looking on what ogre eco-codes has to offer can just start his journey from here...
centralizing is the keyword( and a rather long one... )