GLES2 on Linux

Discussion area about developing with Ogre-Next (2.1, 2.2 and beyond)

Jolting
Gnoblar

GLES2 on Linux

Post by Jolting »

Has anyone got Ogre work with GLES2/EGL/X11 on Linux?

I was hoping to port an app for an arm processor that only supports OpenGL ES 2, but it turned out to be a little more involved than simply switching render systems.

I have no idea how Wayland is going to support all the legacy apps that use full OpenGL(non ES) features. Even the Ogre GLES2 rendering system doesn't support everything the GL rendering system does.
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: GLES2 on Linux

Post by dark_sylinc »

So many confusing statements.

Are you referring to Ogre 2.0 or 2.1?
Because in 2.1 GLES2 is currently not compiling. Support is planned but limited (i.e. high performance is not main target) due to the huge Android market share.
In Ogre 2.0 GLES2 does work, although I don't know about Linux desktop. I once tried and it worked, but it was so long ago I don't remember. And could've broken.
I have no idea how Wayland is going to support all the legacy apps that use full OpenGL(non ES) features.
Wayland is great in idea, but if it plans to stay GLES only, it's doomed. Frankly, GLES is a piece of s##t. It seems they must be aware of that because their long term is to eventually support it. Even though they don't want it, a WaylandGL binding API is probably the best choice.

That, or they wait for Vulkan, and provide a GLtoVulkan emulation wrapper that can be initialized via EGL (or XGL emulation for apps already compiled for X11's GL binding) and hence doesn't have to point to a libGL implementation that pulls in all X dependencies.
Ogre GLES2 rendering system doesn't support everything the GL rendering system does.
That's not a problem with Ogre, but rather with GLES.
Herb
Orc

Post by Herb »

In Ogre 2.0 or less, the GLES2 system is dependent on X11. You'll see the render system grabs a X window in the code, so that's a dependency. The big issue is the MESA drivers are not accelerated on ARM as far as I can tell. I got Ogre3D running on a i.MX53 QSB dev kit (ARM Cortex A-8) but the framerate was just terrible. You'll see similar issues in the following posts.

http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=80710
http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=70576
http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=77364
Jolting
Gnoblar

Post by Jolting »

dark_sylinc wrote:their long term is to eventually support it
With Wayland eventually may be a really long time.
Herb
Orc

Post by Herb »

Yeah, and with Ubuntu supporting their own windowing system Mir, it's not going to help. It feels like X11 replacement is getting slowed by not everyone jumping on the same bandwagon for a single library replacement to X.