Rendering terrain with a lot of different textures

A place for users of OGRE to discuss ideas and experiences of utilitising OGRE in their games / demos / applications.
Mr. Turner
Halfling

Rendering terrain with a lot of different textures

Post by Mr. Turner »

Hi,

I'm trying to create a basic game engine that draws a 3d map with many different textures like rocks, grass, grass-dirt, sand, deep water, shallow water,...
You can best compare it with an RTS game like Warcraft 3, Starcraft,...

Units, buildings, trees,... are added through a .scene afterwards.

Is this possible with landscape manager + texture splatting? Is this advisable? Any other ideas?

What do you think is the best way to render such scenes?

Mr. Turner
eugen
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by eugen »

just my opinion...

i think blizzard's games are tile based...for every 3dcube (of certain dimension) on the map they have a description that would tell them what kind of type is it (dirt, grass, ...) and also the height and the type of height they use...
(they are not using a real physical engine...)
it would be a good aproach if can use the landscape plugin or similar choice but in a restrictive way (letting the user change the map only to fixed heights, applying the texture yourself, regardin the type of cube he's applying) and memorize every tile in a structure...this would be easy to use in an editor and in the game too, since u'll need to know on what type of ground are u (for specific actions, ex:creep), and also the height or other information...
they use this tiled aproach to implement pathfinding too, i think...
as for rendering, as much as u can, group the static geometry in one mesh, the non static separate...
Mr. Turner
Halfling

Post by Mr. Turner »

So basically you mean this:
Pre:
* create the whole map as a big mesh using some editor

Engine:
* open the mesh and parse & store all tiles
* use the info of a home-made fileformat to apply textures to each tile
* use a .scene format to implent all dynamic game-specific data

This is exactly what I need. Any examples or docs on that tile parsing & tilebased texture applying?
eugen
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by eugen »

pls use search...i know there are some threads on this 'tile' subject...but i dont remember which one...
often, people design their own tile editor...as a game editor!
since u have other informations to add (buildings,...) u'll need one that will fit your game needs!