Argh!

A place for Ogre users to discuss non-Ogre subjects with friends from the community.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Re: Argh!

Post by Kojack »

Memtest86 hasn't found any problems with the 32GB of ram.

I was running low of room and had to keep backing up steam games to other drives, so I guess that's the silver lining to this, I now have a valid reason to get a 1TB ssd. :)

Oh joy, I actually have two operating systems to install! I've got to put windows 7 back on my desktop, plus today I bought an asus vivopc (like a slightly larger intel nuc) for use as a ip security camera server.
I was going to install linux on it (makes sense for an always on server that's mostly headless), but the main security camera software for it, ZoneMinder, sounds like crap. It's very heavy on resources and saves everything as single images, not the incoming mjpeg stream. Sounds like the only good free security camera apps are on windows.
I need to sort out my licenses.

Argh, I bought an led tube light to replace the fluorescent light in my room, it said it was an easy replacement. Yeah, easy if you don't mind rewiring the socket to bypass the starter and ballast. Grrr.
Luckily I've done electronic engineering. I try to avoid 240v stuff, give me 5-12v any day, but it shouldn't be hard to do. Hopefully it's not illegal.

My father wired up my bedroom when I was a teenager. I wondered why I used to get tingles from computer if I was bare foot. Years later I finally decided to look into it, turns out he never connected the earth wire! All the power sockets in the room were unearthed and had a floating dc voltage on them. ****ing hell! He was a real danger, he once made an extension cable with a male plug on each end, that meant it had two live pins sticking out one end! (It was for some stupid second hand tool he got that wrongly had a female plug on it. Instead of fixing the tool's cable, he ruined an extension cord)
madmarx
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by madmarx »

Ahah, fathers are often a big danger, as soon as they do lots of stuff.
I remember when we almost burned the house at chritsmas. The whole christmas tree was gone in 30s, but we pushed it soon enough in the fireplace to avoid more damage. Good times :D !
Tutorials + Ogre searchable API + more for Ogre1.7 : http://sourceforge.net/projects/so3dtools/
Corresponding thread : http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 93&start=0
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

I've now got Windows 10 installed and I'm starting to repopulate my system.
Yay, my Dark Souls 1 progress was stored on a cloud somewhere! :)
However DS1 is running at 2fps in Win 10. :(

It's a shame that I have to turn off so many settings to stop Win 10 leaking info like a sieve. Even then, some settings can't be disabled. For example, when a program crashes win 10 will send info to MS. The lowest setting sends basic info, the highest setting (which is recommended) sends a snapshot of your ram! WTF? No off option.
The privacy statement for the full option states the snapshot may contain contents of other files such as documents that are in ram, but they promise they (and their partners, who also get it) will only use it for windows related purposes.
Yeah, sure.

I'm trying it out for now, but the degree of information leakage is pretty shocking, even for MS.

I probably would have avoided 10 (stuck with 7) if my ssd didn't die.

Hmm, I wonder where Witcher 3 kept it's saves? I hope I haven't lost all those hours!
al2950
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by al2950 »

ARGH!!!!!!

If you are doing some form of game development course, please please please learn more than just how to use Unity!

If you are teaching a game development course, for the love god please make sure your students understand the above statement. I cant face doing another interview!
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

al2950 wrote:ARGH!!!!!!

If you are doing some form of game development course, please please please learn more than just how to use Unity!

If you are teaching a game development course, for the love god please make sure your students understand the above statement. I cant face doing another interview!
i feel your pain!
sadly, i've seen "professional" developers tell students that learning c++ or any tech besides unity/unreal is a waste of their time. :(
al2950
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by al2950 »

Kojack wrote:
al2950 wrote:ARGH!!!!!!

i feel your pain!
sadly, i've seen "professional" developers tell students that learning c++ or any tech besides unity/unreal is a waste of their time. :(
Thats very sad to hear indeed. Lets just hope Unity and Unreal are here for evermore. Its a good thing they are tools in an industry that does not move or change very quickly, oh wait.... :P
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Christmas argh:
My mother made a giant christmas eve dinner for friends/relatives. Had home made trifle and/or pavlova for desert. Guest says "I don't like either of those", then tells other guests in a sad voice "I would have had desert, but they didn't make anything for me".

(How can anybody not like trifle?)
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

I just discovered that ImageShack (which I used to use for image hosting) has now blocked all free accounts from having hosted images shown on forums. Almost every image link I've posted on here since 2004 (until I switched to imgur) is now broken.
I either pay for a premium account or have to rehost everything (at least I can still get to the files on imageshack).

Their service got progressively worse, I'm not giving them money.
EricB
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by EricB »

Kojack wrote:I just discovered that ImageShack (which I used to use for image hosting) has now blocked all free accounts from having hosted images shown on forums. Almost every image link I've posted on here since 2004 (until I switched to imgur) is now broken.
I either pay for a premium account or have to rehost everything (at least I can still get to the files on imageshack).

Their service got progressively worse, I'm not giving them money.
Hosting is so cheap these days, $15/yr can get you an IP, 128mb of ram, 12gb of ssd storage space, and 500gb/mnt bandwidth...
Slap freebsd on it, make a swap(incase you go over 128mb of ram...), install lighttpd, forget about a domain name just use the IP, and ta-da. Filehost that you control for less than a drink per month.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

I should do that, but free is also good and I'm lazy. :)
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

I've decided to update everything on my project. First thing is to download Visual Studio 2015 Express. I leave it running overnight.

Sure enough, next morning, it has hung. Just sitting there going nowhere. At least I think it's hung... who can tell? They give almost zero information except a couple of progress bars. I try to cancel, but that hangs too. So I shut down the computer.

Restart, and try running repair. Seems to hang as well... then suddenly springs to life. Looking good, progress bar is almost at the end. Then it stops. It's hung again... or has it? Again, who can tell?

I absolutely hate this kind of install. It's massive, involving large downloads, it's for technical people, yet they give ZERO FEEDBACK apart from a progress bar. It could tell me that it's downloading something and what the current download rate is, it could tell me a million things, so I'd know if it had hit a snag or was just in the middle of something else. I really hate this garbage.

Edit: I give up. Repair is going nowhere. How can a company that makes the operating system be unable to make a working installer with proper feedback? It boggles the mind...

OH MY GOD, EVEN THE UNINSTALLER DOESN'T WORK, AND THEY KNOW IT! Leaves a ton of crap you're expected to delete yourself. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3016536
"In theory there is no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is." - Psychology Textbook.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Yeah, VS is quite huge to install.
I had the install for VS2005 Update 1 trash my entire OS, had to reinstall windows.

Don't use Visual Studio 2015 Express though. 2015 Community is way better than Express (and still free).
(Although maybe the license situation is more nuanced for your situation)
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

I'm currently downloading the VS2013 Express iso. I figure it's modern enough to last me the next few years, plus an iso means less chance of horrible install problems. I hope.

I saw Community, but wasn't sure about it. The license seemed ok, but I prefer the devils I know. Plus, when Microsoft really tries to push something on me, like they did with Windows 10, I generally feel put off.
"In theory there is no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is." - Psychology Textbook.
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

VS2013 seems to installed without a hitch. Very good.

Used 7z to unpack the iso to a folder, ran the setup in the folder, and it all just completed no problemo. Also not a ridiculously large download either, 6 or so gig, so only took 3 hours. Why couldn't VS2015 be like that?

It looks trickier to get a VS2015 iso or offline download. For one thing, it says the Android component must be done via online downloading. I suspect it was the Android component that was messing everything up in the first place, so if I tried an offline VS2015 install it probably still wouldn't work.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

I always use the isos. :)
Yep, the android part is download only. It basically just downloads the android sdks from google.

The differences between express and community:
- Express has different downloads for different target platforms (windows app, desktop, web), community covers them all.
- Express has no plugin support, community does support them.
Community is basically the full VS Professional without team foundation server.

The license for Community (roughly speaking):
- individuals: free for commercial use
- organisations doing open source / academic research / classrooms: unlimited users
- organisations that aren't enterprise (250+ pcs or over $1million per year): 5 users
- organisations that are enterprise: not available
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Ok, found the VS2015 Community iso download. I'll try my luck one last time.

I'm doing this because I'm going to setup Ogre 1.10, upgrading from 1.8. I figure I may as well update Visual Studio as well, I'm on VS2008, which has served me well. But the intellisense and debugging on it has a habit of just randomly giving up forever on a project. Hopefully VS2013 or VS2015 will have fixed that.
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Nope, install of VS2015 Community ISO went almost exactly as badly as the online Express attempt. After rebooting from a hanging install (almost 0% cpu usage, no network activity, "cancel" also does nothing) and running repair, it claimed to have installed "Visual Studio Blend" or something. Huh? Couldn't find any option to create a basic C++ project. It didn't seem to work, tried to compile an old C++ project but it spat out a ridiculous number of errors, three thousand or so. I'm not even sure it is a C++ editor...

I don't think it really installed properly at all. The ISO was only 3 gig, and it didn't download anything. A real mess. Uninstalling now. VS2013 will have to do.
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

That feeling when you're printing out data or drawing images to try and find some bug which just makes absolutely no sense, and you've spent an hour trying to understand it and it just defies all logic, and then you realize the error is actually in the debugging code you've added to find the bug, and there is no error.
hyyou
Gremlin

Post by hyyou »

mkultra333 wrote:That feeling when you're printing out data or drawing images to try and find some bug which just makes absolutely no sense, and you've spent an hour trying to understand it and it just defies all logic, and then you realize the error is actually in the debugging code you've added to find the bug, and there is no error.
Thank for sharing.
It also happened to me once every 1-2 years, take 3-4 hours to fix, and cost about 50-90% of mental strength for the day.

Thank about comment on VS2015 too .... glad it is not only me.
I fixed it by do a system restore in safe mode, then reinstall it again.
shadowfeign
Goblin

Post by shadowfeign »

I kinda hate Adobe right now. I've had to deal with this issue in the past a few times too. Frustrating as hell every time. I have a script that points to a file with a relative path. The problem is, Adobe has no *(&(*&ing consistent way to say what a relative path is. If I open After Effects from the start menu and say File->Open Project, it has a different location than if I double click the project file directly from windows(assuming you didn't already have a project open, then it uses whatever path that file had). And when I want to render from Media Encoder, it gets to be even more convoluted. Took me three hours last night just to get it to load the correct way. Toward the end it was even loading from the correct relative path...on half of the project!!! how does a program even manage that?
N0vember
Gremlin

Post by N0vember »

mkultra333 wrote:I've decided to update everything on my project. First thing is to download Visual Studio 2015 Express. I leave it running overnight.

Sure enough, next morning, it has hung. Just sitting there going nowhere. At least I think it's hung... who can tell? They give almost zero information except a couple of progress bars. I try to cancel, but that hangs too. So I shut down the computer.

Restart, and try running repair. Seems to hang as well... then suddenly springs to life. Looking good, progress bar is almost at the end. Then it stops. It's hung again... or has it? Again, who can tell?

I absolutely hate this kind of install. It's massive, involving large downloads, it's for technical people, yet they give ZERO FEEDBACK apart from a progress bar. It could tell me that it's downloading something and what the current download rate is, it could tell me a million things, so I'd know if it had hit a snag or was just in the middle of something else. I really hate this garbage.

Edit: I give up. Repair is going nowhere. How can a company that makes the operating system be unable to make a working installer with proper feedback? It boggles the mind...

OH MY GOD, EVEN THE UNINSTALLER DOESN'T WORK, AND THEY KNOW IT! Leaves a ton of crap you're expected to delete yourself. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3016536
This is funny.
I also updated my project and decided to use VS2015.

Took me ONE DAY. And by that one FULL working day. (And by working day I mean it was sunday, cause it's a personal project).
One day to install a fucking C++ text editor and a compiler...
My problem, although similar in fashion as yours, is that somehow the "web" installer automatically decides which language you need. Instead of you know.... asking you.
Language automatically chosen which happens to be.... the 'locale' of your operating system... which means, the language you type in, and NOT the one you use for display.
Which for me happened to be.... French.
Of course, my whole operating system displays English, but I use a French keyboard layout, so why not change all the display of what I install to French while we're at randomly simpifying stuff for people because we think they are moronicly stupid ?
But worse than what you could imagine, not only was the whole UI in French, which is already bad enough (even though it's my mother tongue).
It installed the COMPILER in french.
You cannot imagine the horror of having all the compiler messages in another language than the vehicular language.

Even worse, it didn't install the english locale of the compiler. So I couldn't even switch it. It installed ONLY the French one !

The solution, as it says on internet, should be to just download the English language pack, right ? Modularity and customization rules ! Yay !
Wait... First, when you install a language pack, it basically takes as long to install as the original install.
Second.... It happens to change the language of the whole software.... Except the compiler of course !

Fast forward a few hours, useless repairs of the install, uninstalls, reinstalls.

I just downloaded the ENU ISO which happened to work.

In my quest, I also stumbled on this mind-blowingly satisfying piece of customer feedback (or should I say globalized outrage) :
https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/foru ... stomizable
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

I'm argh!ing over the latest series of Macross: Macross Delta.
I tried watching 3 episodes last night. It's just gone crazy.

I grew up on Robotech (the massive hacked together american retelling of Macross, Super Dimensional Cavalry Southern Cross and Genesis Climber Mospeada).
Macross has always had music as a central element, but it's been getting crazier as it goes.
Macross: humans use music to brainwash enemy alien warrior race that has never experienced entertainment.
Macross 2: new alien race uses their own singers to rally their troups.
Macross Plus: two test pilots compete with each other in prototype ships, then an ai singer atempts to go skynet.
Macross 7: main guy flies his transforming aircraft using a guitar, shoots non lethal speaker pods at enemy ships and can turn love songs into some energy beam attack.
Macross Zero: prequel series showing the start of transforming aircraft combat. Singing causes antigravity.
Macross Frontier: alien monsters attack huge colony ship, main guy is in love triangle with two competing singers, one with magic powers. A valkyrie flies around with speakers and disco lights on it's wing while a girl sings in the back seat to stop alien mutiny.
Macross Delta: humans turn into homicidal mutants at random, a group of girls use love songs to calm them down, generate force fields, etc. It's got magic girl transformations (those glowing scenes where girls change their outfits by magic) and during the songs the supporting Valkyrie fighter squadron does choreographed dancing (yes, giant robots dance in the background). The first episodes are mainly about a talent show to find new girls with trans dimensional singing that can open fold space.

I like the technology. The Macross mech design is probably my favourite in anime (besides Dix Neuf in Die Buster). I like the serious action and drama from Macross and Macross Plus (as well as Zero when they aren't levitating rocks by singing or talking about bird people). But now it's just crazy. A military idol group that does frontline singing with dancing robot backers, and the main guy does break dancing martial arts in his robot (he doesn't like guns).

Start of Macross Zero: main guy uses a crashed Valkyrie to save a girl who can do magic by singing. He gets transfered to the Valkyrie squad.
Start of Macross Frontier: main guy uses a crashed Valkyrie to save a girl who can do magic by singing. He gets transfered to the Valkyrie squad.
Start of Macross Delta: main guy uses a crashed Valkyrie to save a girl who can do magic by singing. He gets transfered to the Valkyrie squad.
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Every time in the past I've tried to learn using a versioning system, it's gone badly. Mainly with Git. Within an hour everything would be a mess and I'd go back to just keeping lots of zipped backups. But I finally forced myself to use Mercurial via TortoiseHG the last 3 months, and it's been great. A real productivity booster, and a lot easier and intuitive than Git, at least for simple stuff.

Then today, for no reason, I get this:

"TortoiseHG error. index 00changelog.i is corrupted." and a lot of blah, blah, blah. The repository seems to have suddenly died. :/

Fortunately, my old paranoid habits kicked in last week and I made a full zip copy of the entire project. Going back to that, the Mercurial repository works again. So hopefully I can just copy in my new changes over the last week (there's a lot) and get everything back on track again.
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Tried to fix it by going back to the old one and adding the new changes. Seemed to work at first, but then it refuses to commit the latest changes, again with corruption problems. Not only that, but it no longer shows the little icon on files for any projects under version control that shows they are being tracked. Tried uninstalling and re-installing TortoiseHG but that didn't help.

This is why I hate version control systems. They're just fragile houses of cards, they're great while they work, but the moment anything gets messed up they turn into a useless pile of wreckage. TortoiseHG has no meaningful repair functions that I can find. The online docs tell me to use the command line to try various things, but seem to be aimed at linux or something, commands aren't recognized on windows. The philosophy seems to be "Oh, some hash or something is garbled, may as well burn down the entire thing."

Edit: Managed to -sort of- fix it using -convert to create a new rep that ignores errors. It's started a new head/whatever but I still have the old versions too. If I learn how to do a merge I might be able to fix it completely.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Yep, repos still need some form of backup if you aren't working in a team where everybody might have a local copy as redundancy.

I've had some Arghs going on with phones.
I got a Galaxy Note 7 (already have a Galaxy S and Galaxy Note 2). Ordered it weeks ago, was delivered last friday. It had 30+ dead pixels on the screen.
A week later and I'm still no closer to getting a replacement. I've been talking to 9 Samsung employees across 5 services:
- samsung twitter
- samsung live help
- samsung service centre (in person)
- samsung email support
- samsung online support

The service centre agreed that I should get a new replacement, but couldn't give me one (no stock) and couldn't tell the rest of Samsung to do it (but did enter a document into the system that says their findings). Online support turn out to be the actual ones in charge, but they don't trust the word of the service centre and say they need a different service centre to check it again, then might send me a new one or just the old one back if they don't think there's a problem.
So next week I need to organise with Toll Ipec courier to collect the phone and return it to Samsung. Then they'll examine it and decide if I get a new one shipped out.

The battery lasts pretty well when there's no sim card in it or apps installed. I charged it a week ago and it's still running... in it's box. :) :(

Another argh: had a package due for delivery on thursday. Two people at home, a sign on the front door saying something alone the lines of "Australia Post: We are home, please wait for us to reach the door". Australia Post still didn't try to deliver, just left a note. GRRRRRR!