Terrain editor

A place for users of OGRE to discuss ideas and experiences of utilitising OGRE in their games / demos / applications.
spookyboo
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Terrain editor

Post by spookyboo »

After a long search for a good terrain editor I ended up with A.L.E. (advanced landscape editor). I was inspired by its simplicity and the WYSIWYG way of editting. The trouble was that I couldn't display its textures in Ogre correctly (only as one large texture). So, I decided to make may own editor (at least to create the splatting textures). The idea is to create an editor with a non-existent learning curve, for stupid people like me :wink:
Textures are applied on the position of the cursor (the long thing in the middle) using one of the brushes. When all is finished, the .material file and the 'alpha masks' can be saved and ready to be used in for instance, the terrain demo. It is still a bit buggy, the save, import and property functions are not implemented yet, but here is a first picture.

http://home.hetnet.nl/~spookyboo/screenshot_1_small.png
MadLion
Halfling

Post by MadLion »

Very nice, looks promising. ^^

Does it have deformation?
Lee04
Minaton

Cool

Post by Lee04 »

Looks realy cool.

Good work!
SpannerMan
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by SpannerMan »

This looks great Spookyboo, I can see the potential for this being a really useful tool.

Good Luck :)
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Hey, looking good :)
AssiDragon
Greenskin

Post by AssiDragon »

Looks neat =)
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
monster
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by monster »

Word.
Banania
Gremlin

Post by Banania »

Excellent !
Banania
psyclonist
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by psyclonist »

Agreed!

-psy
lgoss007
Halfling

Post by lgoss007 »

Very nice. Any chance of making this an add-on project? I was about to start making a similar one myself.
spookyboo
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by spookyboo »

It is still very premature and it was only intended to be a supplement to other tools (for example A.L.E. , so no deformation I'm afraid).
I can deliver a first cut version if all my initial requirements are implemented and the code is cleaned up a bit.

After that, I guess I´m ´forced´ to expand it to my own needs (vision an editor that creates terrain, water, sky, wheather, static geometry, fire, smoke and connect it to physics, audio, scripts, etc. etc., ... and of course a sceneloader to load it all). This may take quite some time...
Sputnick
Greenskin

Post by Sputnick »

Good, good, good.
Tools are building up.

- Sput
Psih***
Gnoblar

Post by Psih*** »

Looks great!!!
When can we download this thing???
I will be happy to use it! And our russian comunity too.
When will you finish it! Please mail me mega-coders@mail.ru ! I will wait !
Last edited by Psih*** on Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spookyboo
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by spookyboo »

It is far from ready. I have setup a schedule which leads me to june 2005 before I have something useful. It will include terrain texturing, water, sun, moon, wheather effects, misc. effects, static geometry, etc. At a later stage (second half 2005) I will hook it to the Yake platform for audio, physics and event integration. The editor will export to the .scene file format (that´s the plan at least).

Well, another picture then... I´ve used a simple fragment program to simulate the sun blind effect which you get when you look into the sun (call of duty, anyone). The ugly sun is just a placeholder btw.

http://home.hetnet.nl/~spookyboo/screenshot_1.png
http://home.hetnet.nl/~spookyboo/screenshot_2.png
http://home.hetnet.nl/~spookyboo/screenshot_3.png
lgoss007
Halfling

Post by lgoss007 »

Nice! I'm still interested in this and it's sort of what I envisioned making myself, even the parts that you call "expanding it" (I was even thinking a cegui editor, etc.). similar to the tools for Torque. I suggested an add-on project because then others could look at it and possibly help out. If the tool was made in a flexible way, then others could "expand it" as well giving the tool even more features.

Otherwise if only you code it then it may be missing some features that I want and then I have to program a whole scene manager myself. I just thought that this sounded like a good project that I could possibly contribute to... well either this or Yake.
spookyboo
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by spookyboo »

It was intended to satisfy my personal requirements, so it is rather specific and will indeed lack certain features. Terrain deformation for instance will not be implemented because I have other tools for that. For the time being I'll keep on developing it on my own (also for the learning experience).
currentloops
Gnoblar

Simple Planet Maker

Post by currentloops »

I like your style spookyboo.

Don't suppose you have used Terragen, but it has some nice features and tools for creating nice scenes.

For simple 3d planets, check out this little creation

http://www.3dplanetbuilder.com/

Not too complicated to do this stuff but again, I nice simple tool.
fork a daemon !
spookyboo
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by spookyboo »

@currentloops
I have tried the terragen demo and I own a (legal) copy of Bryce 5.
I don't intend to create some kind of clone. The editor is for creating realtime rendered terrains which can be exported and loaded into my to-be-developed game.

The 3d planetbuilder looks really nice btw.
Ingot
Gnoblar

Nice work

Post by Ingot »

Any chance I can get a copy of that ? :o
spookyboo
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by spookyboo »

You'll have to wait until June to get a first release I'm afraid. Development is progressing, but not as fast as I would like.
spookyboo
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by spookyboo »

A small update. Made this picture in 5 minutes. I can now add skyboxes, domes, planes, etc. with just a few clicks.

I'm not shure whether I will continue with it though. Several people are working on the same now. Maybe I will join them.
DWORD
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by DWORD »

Looks very impressive! :) There must be a lot of potential in joint forces.
Clay
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by Clay »

Seriously, that looks fantastic. You guys should look into merging projects. The other thread is here.
SpannerMan
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by SpannerMan »

@Spookyboo - Looking better and better mate, great work;)

I agree with the guys here, there's a few very promising terrain editors in production right now, and it seems absolute madness in this opensource environment not to get some collaboration going. You could all combine forces, share your ideas and existing code, and work on some uber terrain editor together!
spookyboo
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by spookyboo »

You are right. I will abandon this project and going to collaborate with someone else. Currently there are at least 3 other peope doing the same. I´ve already had contact with 2 of them. My opinion is that the editor of psyclonist looks the most promissing to me. That doesn´t mean that Lucky Luciano´s editor isn´t good, but it is dedicated to the PLSM2. If we want to have an uber editor I´m betting on a SceneManager independant editor with an open architecture. So I will:

- stitch the loose ends of my editor and drop it somewhere for downloading (the alpha masks it produces can be used)
- upgrade to VC7
- join psyclonist´s team (if he allows me to)