Trouble getting DX11 Render System to compile.

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
dirkmitt
Halfling

Trouble getting DX11 Render System to compile.

Post by dirkmitt »

Hello.

I have become quite practiced at compiling OGRE by now, even though I have not gotten to work just yet, writing any games or 3D applications with it. Thus, I have compiled various versions of OGRE on various platforms.

Right now I am interested in compiling OGRE 1.10 using Visual Studio 2015, on a Windows 7 machine, and have been running in to problems with the DX11 Rendering System. I have gotten most of v1.10 to compile on this very platform though.

I realize that Micro**** has been making changes to their SDK. For one thing, there is no longer a specific DirectX SDK, that having been included into their new Windows SDK. But, having seen that the latest OGRE 1.10 only asks the user to specify the path of the header file, not specific libraries anymore, within the CMake GUI, gave me hope that OGRE may be up-to-date to use the new Windows SDK.

Yet, because it seemed the right thing to do at the time, I decided to install the legacy DirectX SDK from June, 2010, since that should have reduced the level of error messages I was getting.

DX9 compiles fine now.

But when trying to compile the DirectX11 Rendering System, I am still getting the following compile errors:

Code: Select all

1>C:\Users\Dirk\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\ogre\RenderSystems\Direct3D11\src\OgreD3D11Driver.cpp(68): error C2065: 'DXGI_ADAPTER_FLAG_SOFTWARE': undeclared identifier
1>C:\Users\Dirk\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\ogre\RenderSystems\Direct3D11\src\OgreD3D11RenderWindow.cpp(954): error C2065: 'DXGI_SWAP_EFFECT_FLIP_SEQUENTIAL': undeclared identifier
1>C:\Users\Dirk\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\ogre\RenderSystems\Direct3D11\src\OgreD3D11RenderSystem.cpp(260): error C2065: 'D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_11_1': undeclared identifier
1>C:\Users\Dirk\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\ogre\RenderSystems\Direct3D11\src\OgreD3D11RenderSystem.cpp(575): error C2065: 'D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_11_1': undeclared identifier
1>C:\Users\Dirk\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\ogre\RenderSystems\Direct3D11\src\OgreD3D11RenderSystem.cpp(3863): error C2065: 'D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_11_1': undeclared identifier
Can somebody please tell me, what I can do to fix this?

Dirk
Last edited by dirkmitt on Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
dirkmitt
Halfling

Re: Trouble getting DX11 Render System to compile.

Post by dirkmitt »

I guess that the answer to my question is, that my Windows 7 machine is too old, to support full DirectX 11 System that OGRE offers.

Somewhere, the compiler inserts the assumption that I am using a Windows 8 machine, Plus that it is True, that I am compiling for a Phone! :lol: For which reason some of the macros above are switched-in to the source code. I can comment them out, and then set the maximum requested feature level to DirectX 11.0 instead of 11.1 . Then the result is, that the (Tangent-Space) Bump-Mapping Sample runs, but that the Geometry Shader Particles Sample crashes, both using DX11.

After I have taken care of the issue, that D3DCOMPILER_47.DLL is needed, but that under Windows 7, the highest available version of this library is _43 .

:D

Dirk
frostbyte
Orc Shaman

Re: Trouble getting DX11 Render System to compile.

Post by frostbyte »

i would dare say that msvc2015 natural inviroment is windows8.1/10
it seems MS are getting tired of backward-compatibility support, for compiling UWP applications( xbox, desktop, phone ) you'll need to "upgrade" to win10

i'm quite interested in using msvc2015 as a cross-platform compiler( desktop/xbox(UWP)/ios/android/osx ), but i don't think cmake/ogre script support that...
maybe you have some related info/experience to share on this topic?
thanks, cheers...
the woods are lovely dark and deep
but i have promises to keep
and miles to code before i sleep
and miles to code before i sleep..

coolest videos link( two minutes paper )...
https://www.youtube.com/user/keeroyz/videos