[2.1] The 1st and 3rd party plugins/components that haven’t been ported yet

Discussion area about developing with Ogre-Next (2.1, 2.2 and beyond)


Post Reply
123iamking
Gremlin
Posts: 152
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:16 pm
x 4

[2.1] The 1st and 3rd party plugins/components that haven’t been ported yet

Post by 123iamking »

When I choose Ogre 2.1, I notice in this article that
What version to choose? wrote:You don’t need the 1st and 3rd party plugins/components that haven’t been ported yet (like CEGUI, ParticleUniverse, Terrain Component, Volume Component, etc). Check the 2.0+ Forum as some of these plugins e.g. ParticleUniverse have been ported by community members.
Actually, I do need these plugins/components :p But I need the huge performance boost even more :)
What version to choose? wrote:You want the huge performance boost. Your main target is Windows and/or Linux for now.
So I just want to ask you guys about how did you deal with this problem (1st and 3rd party plugins/components) when you use Ogre 2.1, I hope to learn from what you did. (for example: you really don't need these cause you re-write them yourself :D)
This topic is focus on (including but not limited to): CEGUI, ParticleUniverse, Terrain Component, Volume Component, just like 'What version to choose?' mentioned.

Thanks for reading :)
123iamking
Gremlin
Posts: 152
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:16 pm
x 4

Re: [2.1] The 1st and 3rd party plugins/components that haven’t been ported yet

Post by 123iamking »

So... about the CEGUI
According to this post
Kulik wrote:I think using the macro is fine. We never supported Ogre 2.1 anyway so if we "break" ABI for Ogre 2.1 it's not really a break.
And it's been 2 years (2015-2017) since CEGUI successfully port to Ogre 2.1 (still build error, need to tweak), CEGUI still not officially support Ogre 2.1. So the reason because CEGUI only support the official Ogre version or CEGUI may never support Ogre 2.1 (for break ABI API reason). And if it's the break ABI API reason, Is it safe that I manually tweak it to eliminate build error and use it (I mean even the creator of CEGUI afraid of it...). I don't mean to underestimate anyone's effort, I just ask this out of curiosity.
So if I don't use CEGUI, I think about just try to use OgreOverlay, but OgreOverlay is currently in v1 namespace. So this OgreOverlay is not perfect for Ogre 2.1, is it?
dermont
Bugbear
Posts: 812
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:51 am
x 42

Re: [2.1] The 1st and 3rd party plugins/components that haven’t been ported yet

Post by dermont »

123iamking wrote:So... about the CEGUI
According to this post
Kulik wrote:I think using the macro is fine. We never supported Ogre 2.1 anyway so if we "break" ABI for Ogre 2.1 it's not really a break.
And it's been 2 years (2015-2017) since CEGUI successfully port to Ogre 2.1 (still build error, need to tweak), CEGUI still not officially support Ogre 2.1. So the reason because CEGUI only support the official Ogre version or CEGUI may never support Ogre 2.1 (for break ABI API reason). And if it's the break ABI API reason, Is it safe that I manually tweak it to eliminate build error and use it (I mean even the creator of CEGUI afraid of it...). I don't mean to underestimate anyone's effort, I just ask this out of curiosity.
So if I don't use CEGUI, I think about just try to use OgreOverlay, but OgreOverlay is currently in v1 namespace. So this OgreOverlay is not perfect for Ogre 2.1, is it?
I think you are being a bit unfair here. Kulik refers to the initial changes for 2.1 which worked fine for 0.8.7. Some months back there were updates to Ogre (HlmsPso) which meant CEGUI no longer worked with Ogre, hence the fixes on the thread that you were on. Looking at bitbucket someone has implemented a fix for the default branch.

https://bitbucket.org/cegui/cegui/commits/all

If you want clarification on the status or have other questions your probably best asking on the CEGUI forums:
http://cegui.org.uk/forum/index.php
123iamking
Gremlin
Posts: 152
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:16 pm
x 4

Re: [2.1] The 1st and 3rd party plugins/components that haven’t been ported yet

Post by 123iamking »

dermont wrote: I think you are being a bit unfair here. Kulik refers to the initial changes for 2.1 which worked fine for 0.8.7. Some months back there were updates to Ogre (HlmsPso) which meant CEGUI no longer worked with Ogre, hence the fixes on the thread that you were on. Looking at bitbucket someone has implemented a fix for the default branch.

https://bitbucket.org/cegui/cegui/commits/all

If you want clarification on the status or have other questions your probably best asking on the CEGUI forums:
http://cegui.org.uk/forum/index.php
Ops :oops: Sorry, I forgot that Ogre 2.1 has changed a lot since last successful port (which mean the port at that time work perfectly fine :D). But I'm really curious about if CEGUI intent to support Ogre 2.1 in the future - maybe I should ask this in CEGUI forums. Thank dermont :D
User avatar
Kohedlo
Orc
Posts: 435
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:34 pm
Location: Ukraine, Sumy
x 32
Contact:

Re: [2.1] The 1st and 3rd party plugins/components that haven’t been ported yet

Post by Kohedlo »

CEGUI port for Ogre 2.1 DirectX12 PSO is coming. :D

http://forums.ogre3d.org/viewtopic.php? ... 13#p539413
c++ game developer.
current project: Imperial Game Engine 2.5
Image
Post Reply