Anyone else having bad luck with Ogre 3D so far?

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Ankh
Gnoblar

Anyone else having bad luck with Ogre 3D so far?

Post by Ankh »

I have been trying to run Ogre 3D for the past 4 days now. First I tried to compile Ogre 2.1 since I saw some people successfully using it and making games already. While I managed to compile it, I couldn't get it to work afterwards.

Same goes for Ogre 1.9, tried compiling it myself and even using the prebuild SDK, but no luck, different types of errors since it's an old version.

Has anyone else had this bad luck with it when you first came into contact with Ogre 3D? It seems I found out about this engine in a bad time, since they're transitioning to 2.1, with not that much stuff available for newbies.
hydexon
Gremlin

Re: Anyone else having bad luck with Ogre 3D so far?

Post by hydexon »

Even me, as newbie who managed to build OGRE 1.10 and 2.1 in Windows, Linux and Mac OS X with almost no problems, and built 2.1 using the 1.9/1.8 old build instructions.
The problem may be is you how you build OGRE's dependencies and OGRE itself.
  • You have an misconfigured compiler or messed up VC++ setups.
  • you build incorrectly OGRE dependencies by build type (building dependencies as Release, building OGRE as Debug and viceversa)
  • Forgot to install certain SDKs in Windows (DirectX SDK or Windows SDK)
  • You download as zip the entire OGRE repository and OgreDeps (i assume you get those dependencies from there), OgreDeps use mercurial submodules, you must use Mercurial
  • Some previous knowledge of CMake.
Some problems about building SDL2 for OGRE is an common issue, but instead of building from source SDL2 i use an already prebuilt SDL2 binaries from the official SDL2 site and setting up in OGRE's CMake configuration GUI, and it's done.
Ankh
Gnoblar

Post by Ankh »

Well, the thing is, I managed to build Ogre 2.1, however, my main problem is basically getting it to work, I followed the instructions on how to setup an application, but then there's no Tutorial Framework for 2.1, and the old ones give me errors on compile time.
hydexon
Gremlin

Post by hydexon »

Usually people recommends use CMake in your projects instead of IDE Project files, this problem is kinda common among Visual Studio users, if you set an OGRE_HOME environment variable in Windows or did sudo make install in Linux, this will make it easier to detect OGRE for CMake, and using the following files: FindOGRE.cmake, FindPkgMacros.cmake, PreprocessorUtils.cmake (the last two are dependencies of FindOGRE.cmake), i had worked OGRE with hardcoded Visual Studio solutions and CodeBlocks project files/workspaces and was an terrible nightmare experience, specially with users which doesn't understand too much about libraries, in CMake made the thing so much easier...
Ankh
Gnoblar

Post by Ankh »

Oh I see, so what you're saying is that I should just use the IDE for writing the code and whatnot, and then, instead of compiling from the IDE, I first generate a script with CMake, and then compile it, something like what it's done when you compile Ogre 2.1?
xrgo
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by xrgo »

I use QtCreator, everything is working great... if you like I can share a basic Ogre example with a .pro so you can build with Qt... windows?
Ankh
Gnoblar

Post by Ankh »

That would be great, I'm willing to try anything. :mrgreen:

And that would be a yes, I'm using Windows 10.
xrgo
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by xrgo »

Ok give me a couple of hours, I am away from the computer now. Meanwhile download QT open source with qtcreator, I am using QT 5.7
xrgo
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by xrgo »

Here you have!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rqzyg5drwmd5g ... e.zip?dl=0
as I mentioned I use QtCreator with Qt open source 5.7... this is the link: https://www.qt.io/download-open-source/
I use Visual Studio Community 2015, installed with C++ support, link: https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/community/
So you need to configure Ogre with cmake-gui using "Visual Studio 14 2015 Win64" generator... and I usually build Ogre as STATIC, also build gl3+ since the sample use that

After building Ogre open the .pro file with QtCreator and change the INCLUDEPATH and LIBS with the correct path of files (I have them in a "Dependencies" folder), you will also going to need some ogredeps libs (they are listed in the .pro)
All the Ogre/* paths in the INCLUDEPATH section are the ones that you downloaded/cloned, not the built ones..... except!! the file "OgreBuildSettings.h" that is generated inside an include folder in your build path (eg: build/include), I usually just copy it inside the "OgreMain/include"

Hope it helps! good luck!
xrgo
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by xrgo »

I would like to know if you had any luck with the files I uploaded =)
cheers!
Amaz1ng88
Gnoblar

Post by Amaz1ng88 »

Yes I'm pretty much having similar problems. All I get is runtime errors. Also I downloaded the 1.9 version from Transporters thread which supposedly has support for dx9 but the option is not in the launcher.
CodexHound216
Gnoblar

Post by CodexHound216 »

For me compiling Ogre by itself was easy. Compiling CEGUI for Ogre was the hard part because the boost libraries were causing a problem with debug releases. When compiling on windows it's probably a good idea to use visual studio 2012 to have the correct compiler. In my case I was able to get the 1.9 SDK to work with a compilation of CEGUI.
phallyka
Gnoblar

Post by phallyka »

The problem may be is you how you build OGRE's dependencies and OGRE itself.

ทางบ้าน