Removed

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
timl132
Kobold

Removed

Post by timl132 »

Removed

Last edited by timl132 on Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xrgo
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Re: Next-gen 3D engine and pbr with ogre3D?

Post by xrgo »

Welcome!!

since you are comparing it to unrealEngine I am going to answer you based on Ogre 2.X (there are 2 version of ogre currently maintained 1.10 and 2.X, 2.X is most modern)

1) out of the box comes with a nice Pbr implementation that you can certainly extend to make it look close to unreal
2) yes, most of us do that
3) yes!
4) sort of.. unreal does a lot more things that Ogre don't have out the box, but with some work its definitely possible, look at my latest project: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=91758#p541093 its not super hyper photorealistic but good enough and runs in VR
5) Linux yes! mobile only Ogre 1.10, 2.X will at some point... but it does work on ios with Metal render system (I think!)
6) Its a rendered in steroids, it actually does a lot more than just render... it does math, load and save models is .mesh format, scene managment, transformations hierarchy, etc. Not included: physics, sound, input (samples uses sdl), network, etc.
7) see this post: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=84762

Saludos!
timl132
Kobold

Removed

Post by timl132 »

Removed

Last edited by timl132 on Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xrgo
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by xrgo »

timl132 wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:36 pm And what do you mean with scene managment?
You mean that it has an object creation and such?
yes, I think there is dotScene format support, and this new stuffs https://bitbucket.org/sinbad/ogre/src/8 ... t/?at=v2-1
I haven't tried them so I might be talking nonsense
timl132 wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:36 pm But do I have to use the .mesh format, or can I create my own loader?
timl132 wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:36 pm Is it possible to ignore that and create my own?
yes you can! I actually do that, I read blender files directly and use blender as my scene/mesh/physics/material/etc editor. I generate everything by code from what I read from the blend file, Ogre its pretty damn flexible, be aware that those are some advance topics ;)
timl132
Kobold

Removed

Post by timl132 »

Removed

Last edited by timl132 on Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
timl132
Kobold

Removed

Post by timl132 »

Removed

hedphelym
Gremlin

Post by hedphelym »

With the new features of Ogre 2.0 I'd say you can reach the same kind of graphics,
but you have to keep in mind that with unreal\unity you get a lot of things out of the box,
but for Ogre you have to do more work to enable the different features and get it all put together.

Also in the image you posted, a lot of that is just proper shader\texture work, it seems to be a lot of baked shadows and such as well,
looks like a typical 'substance' workflow, and there is no reason why you could not do the same with Ogre.
It supports PBS shading, so it's a matter of creating the proper texture maps \ shader setup to get it to look like in the screenshot,
but also obviously lighting, and Ogre supports HDRI\SMAA\GI \ dynamic reflection cubemapping and a lot of other things.

If you compile the latest source, including the sample projects - then you see what kind of features
you have available. It supports a lot of the new 'fancy' features that are popular today.

You just have to keep in mind that enabling the different features is not as easy as in unreal, it's not a checkbox that you tick off,
you have to add the code needed to enable it in your projects.

Dig around a bit and get the samples running, then you get a better impression about how things work with the latest Ogre.
timl132
Kobold

Removed

Post by timl132 »

Removed

hedphelym
Gremlin

Post by hedphelym »

What I mean is good textures, combined with Ogre's already existing PBR shader system.
There is a simple PBR sample (HDRI\SMAA) example project, this shows the 'metalness' feature and such,
keep in mind it's basic, but what I'd suggest is to start by looking at that one.

also there is a HLMS editor here, which can help you on your way:
https://github.com/spookyboo/HLMSEditor
It saves to the material .json format for Ogre, so it's easy to get things tested and ready with this editor.

Then get your own model loaded in there, with your own textures and such to get a feel for it.

I have 6GB ram, and I could compile Ogre (linux \ windows).
Not sure why that happens on your end, but sometimes VS is acting up a bit, so if it still fails - try a reboot and compile again,
or let it sit longer even though it uses all the ram (if it caches on disk it makes things unresponsive).
timl132
Kobold

Removed

Post by timl132 »

Removed

hedphelym
Gremlin

Post by hedphelym »

I had trouble with Dirext-x 11 samples if I set FSAA on the highest setting, so you might want to test that if you set it high (just lower it and start again).
timl132
Kobold

Removed

Post by timl132 »

Removed

hedphelym
Gremlin

Post by hedphelym »

Also, see these screenshots from a game made with Ogre:

https://twitter.com/howieeday/status/977639114487971840

timl132
Kobold

Removed

Post by timl132 »

Removed

Last edited by timl132 on Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frostbyte
Orc Shaman

Post by frostbyte »

timl132 wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:37 pm But ⅓ of the samples in the Sample Browser in DirextX mode crash or have something wrong. But the ones i've tried seem to work in opengl3 mode.
AFAIK sampleBrowser only works for ogre1.10 and has been deprecated with ogre2.1( i think it was only recently removed from the 2.1 branch ) so if you want to use PBR and an advanced rendering pipeline make sure you pulled 2.1 branch and not the 1.10 branch( aka "default branch" )
timl132 wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:37 pm I will probably choose ogre3d as my renderer, but there is one thing that bothers me: There don't seem to ve any showoff things like Archviz and such in unreal engine, which i find kinda disapointing. So I think I will start porting such a unreal scene to ogre3d and show some screenshits of it.
grt...ogre can really use that....cant wait to see :)
But the main thing I am wondering right now is, why do a lot of directx11 samples not work? Is it because I run them in Debug?
if i'm right and you're testing 1.10 samples then dx11 is not a preferable backend( still work at progress )
while ogre 1.10 has dx11/gl3+ backends with some level of stability( not sure what level ) ogre1.x wasn't really designed to take advantage of this api's and still has deep roots into the fixed function pipeline( aka dx8 )
ogre2.1 is a different story all-together

but anyways, i never used debug mode- beside the fact that i totally hate debuggers( i just use logs and try/catch ), it really cripples the rendering performance almost to being unbearable( funny word ) - takes out all the fun...
Do you think it is a good choise to directly build an editor with gui for later games.(Even though I don' t need it for my current game?)
no, pls don't, you'll end up writing an editor for the next 5 years( plenty of this in the ogre-graveyard ) just write your game , use a professional editor( e.g blender ) for assets/scene-creation and ogre for rendering your game
really, it's a common mistake, and the best way to make sure you'll never finish your game
anyhow if you do, you can use project magus(ogre 2.1 ) or ogitor( ogre 1.10 ) as a starting point
check with the search-bar for this ones, good luck...
the woods are lovely dark and deep
but i have promises to keep
and miles to code before i sleep
and miles to code before i sleep..

coolest videos link( two minutes paper )...
https://www.youtube.com/user/keeroyz/videos
paroj
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by paroj »

frostbyte wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:44 am AFAIK sampleBrowser only works for ogre1.10 and has been deprecated with ogre2.1( i think it was only recently removed from the 2.1 branch ) so if you want to use PBR and an advanced rendering pipeline make sure you pulled 2.1 branch and not the 1.10 branch( aka "default branch" )
while you have a much more advanced rendering pipeline in 2.1, you can have PBR with the default branch as well: ;)
https://www.ogre3d.org/2017/12/31/ogre- ... al-release

but you probably will have to customize the shaders to your needs manually.
frostbyte wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:44 am if i'm right and you're testing 1.10 samples then dx11 is not a preferable backend( still work at progress )
while ogre 1.10 has dx11/gl3+ backends with some level of stability( not sure what level )
the dx11 backend is actually pretty mature and is also used in production. Its just that nobody has stepped up to update the samples/ VTests.

The GL3+ backend on the other hand is pretty much on parity in the VTests with the fixed function pipline in GL:
https://ogrecave.github.io/ogre/gl_stat ... 3Plus.html

also there actually are some advantages of using GL3+ with 1.x:
viewtopic.php?t=93970