How to use TrayManager? Topic is solved

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
Zemtriz
Gnoblar

How to use TrayManager?

Post by Zemtriz »

Ogre Version: 1.11.1
Operating System: Linux marek-pc 4.16.18-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jun 26 15:27:59 UTC 2018 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Render System: OpenGL 3+ Render Subsystem

Hello there,

I've got troubles implementing TrayManager. Followed tutorials on: https://ogrecave.github.io/ogre/api/latest/trays.html
But I can't figure out what exactly to write in place of mWindow or how to use rendersystem.
Trying to modify bootstrap.cpp and add there only traymanager.
I have added only this line into code:
OgreBites::TrayManager* mTrayMgr = new OgreBites::TrayManager("InterfaceName", mWindow, this);
and also included ogretrays.h
but how to modify Window?

Error during compiling:

Code: Select all

[marek@marek-pc build]$ make
[ 33%] Built target 2_CamerasAndShadows
[ 50%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/0_Bootstrap.dir/Bootstrap.cpp.o
/run/media/marek/cd998326-6c5a-4cd3-b3ff-d425a0c06ae4/OgreSDK/Tutorials/Bootstrap.cpp: In member function ‘virtual void MyTestApp::setup()’:
/run/media/marek/cd998326-6c5a-4cd3-b3ff-d425a0c06ae4/OgreSDK/Tutorials/Bootstrap.cpp:72:84: error: ‘mWindow’ was not declared in this scope
     OgreBites::TrayManager* mTrayMgr = new OgreBites::TrayManager("InterfaceName", mWindow, this);
                                                                                    ^~~~~~~
/run/media/marek/cd998326-6c5a-4cd3-b3ff-d425a0c06ae4/OgreSDK/Tutorials/Bootstrap.cpp:72:84: note: suggested alternative: ‘mWindows’
                                                                                    ^~~~~~~
                                                                                    mWindows
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/0_Bootstrap.dir/build.make:63: CMakeFiles/0_Bootstrap.dir/Bootstrap.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:105: CMakeFiles/0_Bootstrap.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:84: all] Error 2
[marek@marek-pc build]$ 
Thank you for any suggestions
paroj
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: How to use TrayManager?

Post by paroj »

you can take a look at the python sample which uses the tray manager:
https://github.com/OGRECave/ogre/blob/v ... _sample.py
Zemtriz
Gnoblar

Post by Zemtriz »

paroj wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:03 am you can take a look at the python sample which uses the tray manager:
Thanks for a reply, but still doesn't work :(

Updated it to the following:

OgreBites::TrayManager* mTrayMgr = new OgreBites::TrayManager("InterfaceName", OgreBites::ApplicationContext::getRenderWindow(), this);
palsofchaos
Gnoblar

Post by palsofchaos »

Did you initialise your mWindow under your Root node? Just a shot in the dark here.

(Edit) My mistake this suggestion is for an older version of Ogre.
Last edited by palsofchaos on Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paroj
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by paroj »

Zemtriz wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:31 pm
paroj wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:03 am you can take a look at the python sample which uses the tray manager:
Thanks for a reply, but still doesn't work :(

Updated it to the following:

OgreBites::TrayManager* mTrayMgr = new OgreBites::TrayManager("InterfaceName", OgreBites::ApplicationContext::getRenderWindow(), this);
how did you arrive there, given that the sample says this:

self.trays = OgreBites.TrayManager("Interface", self.getRenderWindow())
Zemtriz
Gnoblar

Post by Zemtriz »

Ok guys, I have figured out what I was doing wrong.
This is how it works:

OgreBites::TrayManager* mTrayMgr = new OgreBites::TrayManager("InterfaceName", getRenderWindow());
As I am new into Ogre, I want to be careful and do everything step by step.
I wanted to initialize trayManager without input listener. Just show something on the screen. And previously I used after getRenderWindow or mWindow ",this)". I had three attributes and the last one "this" was for tray listener that I didn't use and that's why I had errors while compiling.
Zemtriz
Gnoblar

Post by Zemtriz »

Hello again,

I'm sorry, but my button is not visible and would like to ask for your help till this topic is not closed as solved.

I'm using bootstrap.cpp in samples/tutorials and still want to implement trays.
What I've got so far, is:
+added "#include <OgreTrays.h>" at the top
+added "public OgreBites::TrayListener" into MyTestApp class
+added

OgreBites::TrayManager* mTrayMgr = new OgreBites::TrayManager("InterfaceName", getRenderWindow(), this);
    OgreBites::Button* b = mTrayMgr->OgreBites::TrayManager::createButton(OgreBites::TrayLocation::TL_TOPLEFT, "MyButton", "Click Me!");
at the bottom of setup function

If I use "OgreBites::TrayLocation::TL_TOPLEFT" or "OgreBites::TL_TOPLEFT" none shows error during compilation but still I do not see a button.

EDIT:
If I use this:

//OgreBites::Button* b = mTrayMgr->OgreBites::TrayManager::createButton(OgreBites::TrayLocation::TL_TOPLEFT, "MyButton", "Click Me!");
    OgreBites::TextBox* t = mTrayMgr->OgreBites::TrayManager::createTextBox(OgreBites::TrayLocation::TL_LEFT, "MyTextBox", "TextBox", 120, 100);
or this:

//OgreBites::Button* b = mTrayMgr->OgreBites::TrayManager::createButton(OgreBites::TrayLocation::TL_TOPLEFT, "MyButton", "Click Me!");
    OgreBites::TextBox* t = mTrayMgr->createTextBox(OgreBites::TL_LEFT, "MyTextBox", "TextBox", 120, 100);
both I can compile without errors but doesn't show anything
Fighter19
Gnoblar

Post by Fighter19 »

Today I stumbled upon the same problem.
After 4 hours of trial and error I found the culprit.
You need to add the Overlay System to the render queue at some point.

Calling this:

scnMgr->addRenderQueueListener(mOverlaySystem);
After the scene manager has been created, made my button appear.