making dynamic irradiance environment maps

A place for users of OGRE to discuss ideas and experiences of utilitising OGRE in their games / demos / applications.
mogumbo
Gnoblar

making dynamic irradiance environment maps

Post by mogumbo »

I want to implement a dynamic irradiance environment cubemap and possibly its cousin, a specular environment map with varying roughnesses stored at the different mipmap levels. I prefer to do this in Ogre 1.9 because I want to make it work with Gazebo, but it's possible my team could switch to a newer version of Ogre if we had enough motivation.

There are plenty of articles and maybe even some sample code online that could help me implement this stuff. Is there any infrastructure already in Ogre3D that can help me out, such as code that blurs cubemaps or converts them to spherical harmonics? My searches haven't turned up anything yet.
paroj
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: making dynamic irradiance environment maps

Post by paroj »

mogumbo
Gnoblar

Post by mogumbo »

Thanks for the links, Paroj. I was looking for tools in Ogre3D that would help me create irradiance and specular cubemaps, but I still don't see any of that here. These are good resources, though, and your second link references IBLBaker which is a solid example of what I want to do in my project.
paroj
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by paroj »

as for generating that with Ogre there is only the dynamic cubemap demo:
https://github.com/OGRECave/ogre/blob/m ... eMapping.h

you would have to implement everything beyond that yourself.