Should I consider using Ogre with my current computer?

A place for users of OGRE to discuss ideas and experiences of utilitising OGRE in their games / demos / applications.
ManiacalPretzel
Gnoblar

Should I consider using Ogre with my current computer?

Post by ManiacalPretzel »

So, I am considering using Ogre for my projects, as I am a novice student in C++, and wish to be capable of developing graphical programs such as games, for practice or otherwise. However, I do not know if my computer is suitable to use its features without experiencing severe performance issues. I own a Windows 10 laptop, and these are my specs, taken directly from "About your PC":

Model: Dell XPS 13 9360
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7560U CPU @ 2.40 GHz 2.40GHz
Installed RAM: 16.0 GB
System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

My apologies if I'm mistaken on the purpose of Ogre, as I am currently a student in this field. Any advice for optimization of my system or alternative engines would be appreciated.
Hrenli
Halfling

Re: Should I consider using Ogre with my current computer?

Post by Hrenli »

Ogre is a rendering engine without too much of an overhead. So your question in the end boils down to what exactly are you going to use it for.

You did not specify the graphics card and for rendering it's the most important piece of the PC. I suspect it's Intel HD 620 which sucks. Doesn't mean you can't develop anything on this machine (on the contrary, you quite can). But you'll have to limit the level of fidelity of your graphics and might be limited in usage of some of the modern graphics API features.
ManiacalPretzel
Gnoblar

Post by ManiacalPretzel »

Hrenli wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:06 am Ogre is a rendering engine without too much of an overhead. So your question in the end boils down to what exactly are you going to use it for.

You did not specify the graphics card and for rendering it's the most important piece of the PC. I suspect it's Intel HD 620 which sucks. Doesn't mean you can't develop anything on this machine (on the contrary, you quite can). But you'll have to limit the level of fidelity of your graphics and might be limited in usage of some of the modern graphics API features.
I'm planning on making 3D games, but heard that Unity and Unreal engine require a massive amount of GPU, which I clearly do not possess. My graphics card is apparently Intel(R) Iris(TM) Plus Graphics 640, which has approximately 8183 MB of total memory. Is there any game engine I should consider using instead of Ogre until I get a better computer? Also, is there any way to upgrade my graphics card? Thanks again for responding.
xrgo
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by xrgo »

Ogre is just a rendering engine, not a game engine, you use it to create your own engine, you have to integrate sound/physics/input/etc from other libraries (eg. openAL/bullet/sdl/etc) in other words you need to code a lot before even thinking about a game. Creating a game engine is very educational and probably as(or more!) fun as creating a game, so, using ogre or not might depend on your goals
You can use it with you gpu but (just like any 3D engine) you wont be hable to get much fps on complex scenes... I used to work with a Nvidia 540M (which seems to be worst than yours) and still get things done. You can't upgrade a laptop gpu =(
I recommend you to look Godot, is a complete open source game engine, but you'll face the same limitations with that GPU
sercero
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by sercero »

ManiacalPretzel wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:52 pm So, I am considering using Ogre for my projects, as I am a novice student in C++, and wish to be capable of developing graphical programs such as games, for practice or otherwise. However, I do not know if my computer is suitable to use its features without experiencing severe performance issues. I own a Windows 10 laptop, and these are my specs, taken directly from "About your PC":

Model: Dell XPS 13 9360
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7560U CPU @ 2.40 GHz 2.40GHz
Installed RAM: 16.0 GB
System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

My apologies if I'm mistaken on the purpose of Ogre, as I am currently a student in this field. Any advice for optimization of my system or alternative engines would be appreciated.
@ManiacalPretzel that computer might not have a great GPU but otherwise it is very powerful.

I don't think you would have problems running Unity, perhaps Unreal from what I have heard.

If your goal is to learn C++ along the process then with Ogre you are going to learn a lot :), just remember that Ogre is a rendering engine.
You should have to use other libraries for sound, physics, networking, etc.

As for your initial question, I think that your computer is more than capable of creating a game with Ogre and running it.

Perhaps down the line when your codebase is big and your game starts being more graphically demanding you should consider an upgrade, but for now you are good (IMHO).
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

I agree as well for now it's fine. When you start wanting to do more advanced things you will get blocked with any game engine/rendering engine with the same reason GPU.

But think on this another way what games can you play on the laptop fine? no reason why you can't make something similar. ;)
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...