DirectX11 in 1.12 (or any 1.x release)?

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
SufferinPup
Greenskin

DirectX11 in 1.12 (or any 1.x release)?

Post by SufferinPup »

Ogre Version: : 1.12
Operating System: : Windows
Render System: : DirectX11

What is the status of the DirectX11 render system in the 1.x releases? I've downloaded and compiled 1.12, but when I try to run many of the samples with the DirectX11 renderer I get the error message "assembly shaders are unsupported". Bump Mapping, Shadows, Deferred Rendering, a few more (didn't go through them all).
paroj
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: DirectX11 in 1.12 (or any 1.x release)?

Post by paroj »

most things do work. However many Samples were not updated with the D3D11 specific quirks. Therefore you need to look into the specific sample to find out the cause. Also a failed sample can corrupt the global render state and cause successive samples to fail. Therefore you should restart the sample browser after hitting a failing sample.

Finally you can lower the "Information Queue Exception Level" in the graphics settings.
SufferinPup
Greenskin

Post by SufferinPup »

Ahah thanks for the update. What does that error, "assembly shaders are unsupported", mean?

I'm attempting to get DX11 working in my older 1.9-based engine, and getting that error when trying to load my custom cg shaders. Is it that cg isn't supported in DX11? Converting all our shaders to hlsl wouldn't be so bad, but that error is kind of vague so I'm not sure if there is more to it than that.

Thanks for the clarification.
paroj
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by paroj »

SufferinPup wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:28 pm Ahah thanks for the update. What does that error, "assembly shaders are unsupported", mean?

I'm attempting to get DX11 working in my older 1.9-based engine, and getting that error when trying to load my custom cg shaders. Is it that cg isn't supported in DX11? Converting all our shaders to hlsl wouldn't be so bad, but that error is kind of vague so I'm not sure if there is more to it than that.

Thanks for the clarification.
It means that your custom Cg shaders are not supported. What is happening is that the Cg plugins compiles the shaders into e.g. vs_2_0 assembly and tries to pass that to D3D11.

For most part you should be fine with just changing the program type from Cg to HLSL in the ogre material files as done here:
https://github.com/OGRECave/ogre/commit ... f4d89e2da4
SufferinPup
Greenskin

Post by SufferinPup »

Oh of course, that makes sense! Okay thanks for all the info, I'll just start converting my shaders to hlsl (which for many is just a file rename).
rpgplayerrobin
Gnoll

Post by rpgplayerrobin »

I have support for D3D11 in my game project, but the performance is way better when using D3D9, just in case you are wondering.