Using OGRE as rendering engine.

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
nanophoto
Gnoblar

Using OGRE as rendering engine.

Post by nanophoto »

I am an software engineer, and was writing a rendering with Direct3D or OpenGL.
I am new in ogre.
I'm looking for a rendering engine (not game engine) that will improve development efficiency, and I'm considering using OGRE.

I have a few questions to ask.

1.Is this choise is good? Is there any better open source rendering engine choise? (I think it depends on the application.)
2.When using OGRE, which should I use, OGRE or OGRE-next? I want to focus on performance, so OGRE-next seems to be better, but I feel that it is difficult to develop due to the lack of documentation.

hyyou
Gremlin

Re: Using OGRE as rendering engine.

Post by hyyou »

(1) To answer whether Ogre is worth, it depends on how much of your progress in Direct3D or OpenGL?

• If you are really satisfied with your own developed graphic library, for you, it is so hard that Ogre will beat your own thing.
    Even so, it is nice to see and study Ogre's code. There are some cool techniques - like Forward 3D, and buffer preparation.

• If you almost starts from zero, Ogre is one of the good picks.
    Ogre is generally fast enough.

• While Ogre supports most cases, Ogre doesn't provide full control (It never should).
    What do you want from Ogre? Mobile game? PC game? just GUI? What is the scene you want to draw?

(2) https://www.ogre3d.org/about/what-version-to-choose

nanophoto
Gnoblar

Post by nanophoto »

Thank you hyyou. Your opinion will be very helpful.
(1)
My program starts from almost zero, so I find it more efficient to use Ogre now. At least, there's a lot of code to help. The scene is a relatively simple GUI (although there are many requests to create it from scratch), and I think it can be done with Ogre.

(2)
I haven't understood enough Ogre-next yet, so I will continue to study.

Thank you.

hyyou
Gremlin

Post by hyyou »

Resource is limited. Just ignore such request. Developing a software with GUI from scratch is very time consuming.

One of my first advise is to rush to check whether the default HLMS is enough for you.

• If it works, it is a green flag.

• If you want more fancy thing, prepare to enter hard mode.

Edit : Omg, dark_sylinc likes my post. I am going to the heaven.