Depth Textures in Manual

Discussion area about developing with Ogre2 branches (2.1, 2.2 and beyond)
jwwalker
Greenskin

Depth Textures in Manual

Post by jwwalker »

The help text in Sample_Tutorial_ReconstructPosFromDepth says

See section '4.1.4.2 Depth Textures' of the manual for an explanation.

Where is this? I suppose it might refer to the Ogre 1 manual, but I don't see numbered sections in either place.

I'm trying to figure out how to set up a compositor pass that would use as input both the color and the depths from the window.

dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: Depth Textures in Manual

Post by dark_sylinc »

The manual used to be numbered.

This is the documentation it referred to but now that I see it it's a bit out of date since OgreNext 2.2

"Manual" depth textures no longer share depth pools, and to use them one needs to specify these depth textures in the rtv definition (or override).
I.e. this part:

Depth textures are a bit particular because they may not "own" the depth buffer. They're just a null render target with a "view" on an already existing depth buffer.

Isn't true anymore. Each depth texture owns its surface and won't be shared with other TextureGpu pointers.

The only thing that still applies is that you can't use the depth buffer and sample from it (unless the depth buffer is bound as read only but that's not something that OgreNext exposes directly as there hasn't been a need for it yet) and the part that sampling from a texture forces a decompression.

jwwalker
Greenskin

Re: Depth Textures in Manual

Post by jwwalker »

Now I see that there is a "4.1.4.2 Depth Textures" section in the "Ogre 2.0 Porting Manual DRAFT.odt" file, but it looks like it is the same text as in the manual under the API docs. Is there any useful information in the "Porting Manual" that is not duplicated elsewhere?