Few serious questions for Ogre-Next, moving Stunt Rally

Discussion area about developing with Ogre-Next (2.1, 2.2 and beyond)

Crystal Hammer
Gnome

Re: Few serious questions for Ogre-Next, moving Stunt Rally

Post by Crystal Hammer »

Okay, any chance for some answers or an update or hints? It's been 2 weeks, and it's weekend :wink:

Last edited by Crystal Hammer on Sun May 28, 2023 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

Crystal Hammer wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 10:03 am

More questions:

• Does Pbs not even use and pass vertex colors to shader? If not is it much to do to add? Or maybe would it be easier to use another UV set per vertex and new code in shader to use it to any purpose.

This has been answered in various posts: Everyone has their own notion of what vertex colours are meant to do in PBS (i.e. should they carry "colour" data? should it be a multiply? an addition? affect albedo? specular? something else?); thus PBS doesn't do anything with vertex colours.

You can however use custom shader pieces to define the in vec4 colour input (use inVs_colour macro in the code so it's compatible with all languages) and pass it from vertex to pixel shader.

- If I'm gonna need few extra parameters for car paint in my own datablock, and some other parameters for other use case, then should I create different datablocks and cpp code, or even other Hlms and register that? Or can I just use one own Pbs datablock and put all my parameters in it, regardless of use. Is this very wasteful?

HlmsPbsDatablock::mUserValue let's you register custom values (which you can set via setUserValue from C++).
From shader code you can access them via material.userValue[] defined in 500.Structs_piece_vs_piece_ps.any.

If you need more variables, then you'll have to fully override HlmsPbsDatablock (and HlmsPbs obviously, so that you can create your datablocks by overriding HlmsPbs::createDatablockImpl) and override HlmsPbsDatablock::uploadToConstBuffer which is where data is uploaded from C++ to GPU material shader buffers.

Crystal Hammer
Gnome

Post by Crystal Hammer »

Okay. I actually started with my own Datablock2 now, and I have my HlmsPbs2 (registered instead of HlmsPbs).

Can I create both HlmsPbsDatablock2 or HlmsPbsDatablock in HlmsPbs2::createDatablockImpl? Like so:

Code: Select all

HlmsDatablock* HlmsPbs2::createDatablockImpl(
	IdString name,
	const HlmsMacroblock *macro,
	const HlmsBlendblock *blend,
	const HlmsParamVec &params )
{
	String val;
	if( Hlms::findParamInVec( params, "paint", val ) )
	{
		//LogO("paint db2 new");
		//LogO(name.getFriendlyText());  // hash-
		//for (auto p : params)
		//	LogO(p.second);

return OGRE_NEW HlmsPbsDatablock2( name, this, macro, blend, params );
	}else
		return OGRE_NEW HlmsPbsDatablock( name, this, macro, blend, params );
}

And what do I put inside uploadToConstBuffer first, is this correct?

void HlmsPbsDatablock2::uploadToConstBuffer( char *dstPtr, uint8 dirtyFlags )
{
	char* orgPtr = dstPtr;
	Ogre::HlmsPbsDatablock::uploadToConstBuffer( dstPtr, dirtyFlags );
	dstPtr = orgPtr + Ogre::HlmsPbsDatablock::MaterialSizeInGpu;

Vector4 paintClr(1,0,1,0);
	float4 par4 = paintClr;
	memcpy( dstPtr, &par4, sizeof(par4) );
	dstPtr += sizeof(par4);
}

I almost have it working, seems that I just don't fill those extra paint float4 values in shader somehow.

dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

Looks almost right.

The only thing I just noticed is that HlmsPbs::HlmsPbs hardcodes the buffer size passed to ConstBufferPool which is a problem for customization. HlmsUnlit uses constructor overload to fix that problem by providing uint32 constBufferSize.

Although that's an OgreNext bug (HlmsPbs is missing a constructor overload) I suggest you just use mUserValue:

void HlmsPbsDatablock2::uploadToConstBuffer( char *dstPtr, uint8 dirtyFlags )
{
	mUserValue[0][0] = paintClr.x;
	mUserValue[0][1] = paintClr.y; //...
	Ogre::HlmsPbsDatablock::uploadToConstBuffer( dstPtr, dirtyFlags );
}

Since those values are there for your use.

Crystal Hammer
Gnome

Post by Crystal Hammer »

Hmm, doesn't work, or I can't get it to work.
I barely fit into float [3][4], it's exactly 12 floats I need, but okay I tried and now it seems all are 0.0?
So in my previous commit I did it all the 1st way. And then in my next commit I did it with mUserValues.
Either way I don't seem to have any of those values in shader.
And now if I comment out this line 803 in Media/Hlms/Pbs/Any/Main/800.PixelShader_piece_ps.any:

if (material.userValue[0].w > _h( 0.0 ))  // all black

then I see mostly all black.
Same as with this test there

pixelData.diffuse.xyz = material.userValue[0].xyz;
pixelData.specular.xyz = material.userValue[1].xyz;

Do I need a custom piece? Because I just put my code inside Pbs/Any/Main/800.PixelShader_piece_ps.any etc.

dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

Stepping on a debugger in HlmsPbsDatablock::uploadToConstBuffer shows paintClr & paintMul have uninitialized variables. Don't do that.

Second, when you do:

db->paintClr[i] = Vector4(p.r, p.g, p.b, 1.f);

You're never calling scheduleConstBufferUpdate()

I just spotted that HlmsPbsDatablock::setUserValue never calls scheduleConstBufferUpdate(), that's a bug I'll fix.
Edit: Fixed.

Third, there is an assert triggering:

assert( (size_t)( passBufferPtr - startupPtr ) * 4u == mapSize );

It appears that assert triggers because you advance the pointer in HlmsPbsTerraShadows::preparePassBuffer but you forgot to update HlmsPbsTerraShadows::getPassBufferSize

I told you multiple times. Run in Debug mode.

dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

Do I need a custom piece? Because I just put my code inside Pbs/Any/Main/800.PixelShader_piece_ps.any etc.

You don't "need to" but it is recommended to eventually use pieces, because that makes upgrading less painful.

If you modify the source code directly, upgrading to a newer version of OgreNext means you have to transplant all your changes.

Crystal Hammer
Gnome

Post by Crystal Hammer »

db->paintClr[i] = Vector4(p.r, p.g, p.b, 1.f);

You're never calling scheduleConstBufferUpdate()

That's why I moved db->setFresnel(.. at end so it calls scheduleConstBufferUpdate().

Allright thanks. Fixed both. It almost worked. It works when I don't clone:

#if 1  // no clone
		db = pDb;
	#else
		db = static_cast<HlmsPbsDatablock2*>(
			pDb->clone( "CarBody" + sCarI + toStr(id) ) );
	#endif

So, I see that I probably should have in HlmsPbsDatablock2, a cloneImpl, what should I put in it?
It gets cloneImpl( HlmsDatablock *datablock ) not HlmsPbsDatablock2 as argument, I guess I should upcast?

Yeah true I forgot Debug, But it's easy to say debug. I got few issues with it:

• Seeing an assert doesn't really tell me what's wrong. Ok now I got some experience with couple asserts that you explained. But usually it's just annoying since I can't start and IDK why of sudden.
  • Callstack is usually from inside Ogre methods, so I don't really find any classes (and their names or debug values) that are related to the crash directly.
  • Every time I change configuration I'm waiting like 5 min to build 197 or 239 files over again. Maybe an issue with same build dir in CMake, IDK.
  • Works way slower with 16 Fps not 60 Fps.
  • Unrelated, but Vulkan for me needs 5 seconds more at start, while creating shaders.

But surely I need to debug more.
I'm not sure if this is stable yet, I saw few odd crashes, also some freezes at quit, weird, and again that freaking driver crash or something that I need to hard reset PC after.
Well, all that makes me say: coding with Ogre-Next (vs old Ogre) for me feels closer to coding a kernel driver, not just my game/editor. This part is really not a good surprise.

Crystal Hammer
Gnome

Post by Crystal Hammer »

Okay let me summarize my remaining issues since it's weekend :wink:

Problem 1: is with shadowed terrain in minimap RTT, when I create them as manual updated. And they're okay when auto-updated.
To test this:

• uncomment line 121 in src/editor/Render2tex.cpp

//#define MANUAL_RTT_UPD  // todo: terrain shadowed..?
  • start sr-editor
  • terrain minimap is now dark.
  • more info in older post viewtopic.php?p=554600#p554600
  • I'm guessing this could be some bad logic in RTT or shadows in Ogre, or of course something bad in my code or workspace setup, that I can't figure out.

Problem 2: after continuous road editing Fps drops, seems it is leaking something.
I'm almost sure I destroy it properly and create again, in this case every frame.
So first destroy: SceneNode, then Item, and Meshes last, code is around line 420 in SplineRoad::DestroySeg in src/road/Road_Mesh.cpp
To test this:

• start sr-editor, load any track with road, e.g. Sav3-Loops
  • go to Options - Settings - Minimap, set Road update skip to 0. Now editing road will update instantly, each frame.
  • move camera so road is visible and not too far
  • toggle edit mode with Tab, enter road editing mode, with key R.
  • move over a road point sphere and pick a road point with space
  • now use arrow keys or left mouse button to move road point around for at least 20 sec (this time for me works)
  • now I see Fps is unstable (varying much) around 55 Fps, not 60 as before (with VSync)

Problem 3: I noticed that GPU RAM use value gets big after longer time when window is inactive.
So e.g. I:

• start editor or game (windowed, not full screen)
  • load any track
  • then just leave it and alt-Tab to other window
  • after e.g. 30 min it will be big e.g. 3000MB, but it's noticeable even after 1min or so, e.g. 1000MB, where initially it was 500MB or so. I have even seen unreal values here, I surely don't have 10GB GPU RAM. My code for this was a copy from Ogre, it's in float AppGui::GetGPUmem() in src/common/AppGui_Fps.cpp
Crystal Hammer
Gnome

Post by Crystal Hammer »

Why on earth can't I set new values in .material when I override something that was set in base material?
If I do this

hlms wall_base pbs
{
	diffuse 1 0 1
}
hlms red_wall pbs : wall_base
{
	diffuse 1 0 0
}

now the red_wall won't be red because it can't set new value to that diffuse from wall_base :evil:

This way I can't set any default values and change them later when I inherit if needed. So if I had 1 base material and 20 from it, then I need to specify all values in those 20 materials, not e.g. 5 which changed it. Or have to create a new base materials etc.
It's an annoying bug for me, was this on purpose?

dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

Try abstract hlms wall_base pbs; which causes the inheritance to be offloaded to the script parser (since HlmsPbsDatablock doesn't implement the base stuff functionality; although maybe it's possible to implement it now that HlmsDatablock has been supporting the clone() routine for a few years now).

Crystal Hammer
Gnome

Post by Crystal Hammer »

Nope, doesn't work.

dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

I took a look at that problem. Fixed.

Since it's not a very popular feature (as most people have moved to JSON materials), this bug went under for a long time.

Cheers

Crystal Hammer
Gnome

Post by Crystal Hammer »

Great, thanks, it works.
Any chance for my 3 bigger issues from here?

Crystal Hammer
Gnome

Post by Crystal Hammer »

Something is wrong in Terra, for my case when I don't have roughness nor metalness maps, only values. But setting these as values doesn't do anything.
From Samples/Media/Hlms/Terra/Any/800.PixelShader_piece_ps.any

@undefpiece( SampleRoughnessMap )
@piece( SampleRoughnessMap )
	/// ROUGHNESS MAP
	@foreach( 4, n )
		@property( roughness_map@n )
			midf roughness@n = SampleRoughness@n@property( detail_triplanar_roughness )Triplanar@end ( textureMaps@value( roughness_map@n_idx ),
		@else
			midf roughness@n = _h( 0 );   //  <- 1.0 here is better
		@end
	@end

pixelData.perceptualRoughness =	(roughness0 * detailWeights.x * midf_c( material.roughness.x ) +
								 roughness1 * detailWeights.y * midf_c( material.roughness.y )) +

So in my case I don't SampleRoughness and it goes into midf roughness@n = _h( 0 );
which then sets roughness0..3 to 0 and later material.roughness doesn't matter, roughness will be 0 anyway.
I fixed this with midf roughness@n = _h( 1.0 );

But for metalness it doesn't exactly work, Same case midf metalness@n = _h( 0 ); does same issue. But if I change it to 1.0 I also get weird dark spots. It's that last line I think.
What is this supposed to do?

pixelData.F0 = lerp( midf3_c( 0.03f, 0.03f, 0.03f ),  // ?
						pixelData.diffuse.xyz * _h( 3.14159f ), metalness );
	pixelData.diffuse.xyz = pixelData.diffuse.xyz - pixelData.diffuse.xyz * metalness;

And why is specular always full white? And not e.g. set from datablock specular color?
pixelData.specular.xyz = midf3_c( 1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f );

Also why does terrain even have fresnel / reflection? Most natural terrains are rough and don't reflect anything, unless wet right? Sure, we do have now metal tarrains in SR3 Space tracks, that look better so, but that's an exception.

Kind of reminds me of that issue I have with setDetailTriplanarNormalEnabled(true); which I guess everybody forgot by now. Maybe it's also due to my Terra setup IDK.
Ah and I use tdb->setBrdf(TerraBrdf::BlinnPhongLegacyMath); because every other looks just worse, not to mention new ones had this fresnel reflection horror.

Anyways, it'd be great if you could just tell me: if you will look into my previous issues someday eventually? I seriously don't like hoping for things to happen here. I'd rather know you won't do something and so I'd have to take care of those myself sooner or later. But some hints would be nice though.

Crystal Hammer
Gnome

Post by Crystal Hammer »

I create meshes like so, from /Samples/2.0/ApiUsage/DynamicGeometry/DynamicGeometryGameState.cpp
which does lots of creating and doing new, I'm filtering it:

// From: createScene01(
        mStaticMesh = createStaticMesh( false );
// From: createStaticMesh(
	{
	        Ogre::MeshPtr mesh = Ogre::MeshManager::getSingleton().createManual(
	        Ogre::SubMesh *subMesh = mesh->createSubMesh();
	        CubeVertices *cubeVertices = reinterpret_cast<CubeVertices *>(
        	    OGRE_MALLOC_SIMD( sizeof( CubeVertices ) * 8, Ogre::MEMCATEGORY_GEOMETRY ) );
                vertexBuffer = vaoManager->createVertexBuffer(
                    vertexElements, 8, Ogre::BT_DEFAULT_SHARED, cubeVertices,
// From: createIndexBuffer(
		{
		        Ogre::uint16 *cubeIndices = reinterpret_cast<Ogre::uint16 *>(
        		    OGRE_MALLOC_SIMD( sizeof( Ogre::uint16 ) * 3 * 2 * 6, Ogre::MEMCATEGORY_GEOMETRY ) );
	                indexBuffer = vaoManager->createIndexBuffer( Ogre::IndexBufferPacked::IT_16BIT, 3 * 2 * 6,
		}
// Back to: createStaticMesh(
        	Ogre::VertexArrayObject *vao =
	            vaoManager->createVertexArrayObject( vertexBuffers, indexBuffer, Ogre::OT_TRIANGLE_LIST );
	        subMesh->mVao[Ogre::VpNormal].push_back( vao );
	}
// Back to: createScene01(
        Ogre::Item *item = sceneManager->createItem( mStaticMesh, Ogre::SCENE_DYNAMIC );
        Ogre::SceneNode *sceneNode = sceneManager->getRootSceneNode( Ogre::SCENE_DYNAMIC )
                                         ->createChildSceneNode( Ogre::SCENE_DYNAMIC );
	node->attachObject(item);

What is now the proper way to destroy it all? :shock:

So that I can create it again and again (after edit, every frame, thousands of times) and not leak memory and drop Fps?
Only thing I see in that Sample in void DynamicGeometryGameState::destroyScene() is

mStaticMesh.reset();

Surely this can't be enough? Why is nothing destroyed or deleted in this Sample, will it all be done automatically on quit?

Do I need to (when recreating this, every frame on edit, rebuild, or on track unload):

sceneManager->destroySceneNode(sceneNode)
sceneManager->destroyItem(item)
MeshManager::getSingleton().remove(mesh)

OGRE_FREE_SIMD cubeVertices and cubeIndices ?
vaoManager->destroyVertexBuffer(vertexBuffer) ?
vaoManager->destroyIndexBuffer(indexBuffer) ?
vaoManager->destroyVertexArrayObject(vao) ?

And in this order (or reversed as from create) or otherwise?

dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

Hi!

OGRE_FREE_SIMD cubeVertices and cubeIndices ?

See the documentation of createVertexBuffer (which points to BufferPacked's constructor):

If keepAsShadow is false, caller is responsible for freeing the data

If keepAsShadow is true, we're responsible for freeing the pointer. We will free the pointer using OGRE_FREE_SIMD( MEMCATEGORY_GEOMETRY ), in which case the pointer must* have been allocated using OGRE_MALLOC_SIMD( MEMCATEGORY_GEOMETRY )

The same goes for index buffers.

MeshManager::getSingleton().remove(mesh)

You need to obviously call MeshManager::getSingleton().remove(mesh).

Because you handed the buffers and VertexArrayObject to a mesh, when the mesh is destroyed, it will automatically destroy:

• The vertexBuffers (you don't have to call vaoManager->destroyVertexBuffer(vertexBuffer))

• The indexBuffer (you don't have to call vaoManager->destroyIndexBuffer(indexBuffer))

• The Vao (you don't have to call vaoManager->destroyVertexArrayObject(vao))

Please note that:

• Mesh is a smart_ptr. Thus if you have any reference hanging around, it won't be destroyed until all references are unset

• Destroy all Items referencing the Mesh before trying to destroy the Mesh (otherwise the nature of smart_ptrs means the Mesh won't be actually destroyed until you do).

Crystal Hammer
Gnome

Post by Crystal Hammer »

Okay thanks for explanation. So it is actually how I did it.
One question though, there was at start this:

Ogre::MeshPtr mesh = Ogre::MeshManager::getSingleton().createManual(

Does it mean I should keep this mesh variable and later do mesh.reset();?
So destroying the above stuff like this?

sceneManager->destroySceneNode(sceneNode);
sceneManager->destroyItem(item);

MeshManager::getSingleton().remove(mesh);
mesh.reset();  // or before ^ ?
Crystal Hammer
Gnome

Post by Crystal Hammer »

Allright I tracked it down, here is how I create:

MeshPtr mesh = MeshManager::getSingleton().createManual(sMesh, "General");
	//  tangents  v2 to v1 to v2 meh-
#ifdef V1tangents
	String s1 = sMesh+"v1", s2 = sMesh+"v2";

sd.mesh1 = v1::MeshManager::getSingleton().create(s1, "General");
	sd.mesh1->setVertexBufferPolicy( v1::HardwareBuffer::HBU_STATIC, false );  // true may decrease loading time..
	sd.mesh1->setIndexBufferPolicy( v1::HardwareBuffer::HBU_STATIC, false );

sd.mesh1->importV2(mesh.get());
	MeshManager::getSingleton().remove(mesh);  // not needed
	mesh.reset();

sd.mesh1->buildTangentVectors();  // todo: slow in ed, 24,30 Fps  vs 60 Fps v2 only
	sd.mesh = MeshManager::getSingleton().createByImportingV1(
		s2, "General", sd.mesh1.get(), false,false,false);
#else
	sd.mesh = mesh;
#endif

I destroy it like so:

auto mgr = mSceneMgr;
auto& ms = MeshManager::getSingleton();
auto& m1 = v1::MeshManager::getSingleton();

mgr->destroySceneNode(node);
mgr->destroyItem(item);

if (rd.mesh)  ms.remove(rd.mesh);
rd.mesh.reset();
if (rd.mesh1)  m1.remove(rd.mesh1);
rd.mesh1.reset();

And it doesn't leak with V1tangents not defined (only V2 mesh is created).
It does leak GPU RAM for a mesh, when I define V1tangents.

So, am I doing something bad in this block above for V1tangents, that leaks a mesh? Or is there a leak inside buildTangentVectors or createByImportingV1?

dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

Oh I see what's going on!

createByImportingV1() does this on purpose.

Here's the thing:

1. On D3D11 and Vulkan, it is possible to have DEVICE_LOST (that can happen for a lot of reasons, but valid scenarios are laptops that switch from NV to Intel graphics or vice versa when they get plugged/unplugged).
  2. createByImportingV1 imports a v1 mesh into v2, and makes sure to keep a copy of the v1 version forever in case the device is lost, which means the v2 mesh needs to be recreated from its v1 original (assuming the v1 original was created from disk or has the loading listeners; which isn't your case)
  3. createByImportingV1 currently has no way to "unreference" those v1 meshes you won't ever use again.

Given that you generate the meshes yourself (and you could run that again on device_lost, but you'd have to write more code to handle it), I think the sensible solution here is to replace createByImportingV1 with:

sd.mesh = MeshManager::getSingleton().createManual( name, groupName, nullptr );
sd.mesh->importV1( sd.mesh1, params.halfPos, params.halfTexCoords, params.qTangents, params.halfPose );
Crystal Hammer
Gnome

Post by Crystal Hammer »

I see, interesting. I changed it to:

sd.mesh = MeshManager::getSingleton().createManual(s2, "General", 0);
sd.mesh->importV1(sd.mesh1.get(), false,false,false);

but it has the same issue :(

Well this makes this logic unusable for any project that loads levels, destroys parts, edits etc (using v1 still, or needs v1 tangents from code) am I right?
Even this doesn't unload those v1 forever copies?

MeshManager::getSingleton().destroyAllResourcePools();
	v1::MeshManager::getSingleton().destroyAllResourcePools();

I know it'd be best not to use this V1tangents and specify proper tangents myself in code, but IDK yet which values for them will be right.

dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

Mmm... maybe my assumption that the problem was in createByImportingV1 is wrong.

I'll check it out tomorrow.

dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

Problem 2: after continuous road editing Fps drops, seems it is leaking something.

I can reproduce a very small gradual FPS loss over time; but it doesn't seem like a huge RAM leak, but rather a small one. This is going to take time.

So in the meantime I'll report the other issues I found:

Make Debug fast

I noticed in System Monitor that Release was using +20% CPU while Debug was only using 4% (I have 24 threads; 4% CPU is 100% of a full thread). That's when I thought "AHA!".

I get a massive FPS speed up by making Debug use multithreading. Simply find this:

void GraphicsSystem::chooseSceneManager()
{
#if OGRE_DEBUG_MODE >= OGRE_DEBUG_HIGH
	//Debugging multithreaded code is a PITA, disable it.
	const size_t numThreads = 1;
#else
	//getNumLogicalCores() may return 0 if couldn't detect
	const size_t numThreads = std::max<size_t>( 1, PlatformInformation::getNumLogicalCores() );
#endif

And change numThreads to have the same value as Release.
Even though Debug still doesn't reach 60 fps, it now went from unbearable 7fps to a much more decent 40-45fps.

Problems when the window is hidden

This is likely this (I didn't double check):

Problem 3: I noticed that GPU RAM use value gets big after longer time when window is inactive.

In debug mode minimizing or fully occluding the window triggers the following exception:

An exception has occured: OGRE EXCEPTION(1:InvalidStateException): Mapping the buffer twice within the same frame detected! This is not allowed. in BufferPacked::map at ../../OgreMain/src/Vao/OgreBufferPacked.cpp (line 180)

Just walking up the stack when the exception happens makes the problem obvious:

Stack.jpg
Stack.jpg (101.35 KiB) Viewed 30275 times

OgreNext is complaining that buffers are being mapped twice in the same frame (because somewhere inside BaseSystem::update you are issuing rendering commands) but when the window is hidden, renderOneFrame doesn't get called; which means no new frames are generated (thus everything you do is in the "same frame"):

if( mRenderWindow->isVisible() )
	mQuit |= !mRoot->renderOneFrame();

Simply getting rid of if( mRenderWindow->isVisible() ) fixes the problem. Of course this means a hidden window will be wasting GPU cycles; but this bug happens because you're doing GPU stuff while the window is visible.

However this shouldn't be much of a problem because MainEntryPoints::mainAppSingleThreaded already does the following:

if( !renderWindow->isVisible() )
{
	// Don't burn CPU cycles unnecessary when we're minimized.
	Ogre::Threads::Sleep( 500 );
}

Thus commenting out if( mRenderWindow->isVisible() ) is a quick fix to many of your problems while minimized.
Ideally you should avoid doing GPU stuff while minimized.

I didn't try seeing what happens if I changed it to:

if( mRenderWindow->isVisible() )
{
	BaseSystem::update( timeSinceLast );
	mQuit |= !mRoot->renderOneFrame();
}

Or any similar variation.

mCachedTransformOutOfDate

Relevant Documentation section.

You have various of these, which were so annoying I had to comment them out from OgreNext to shut them up.

I noticed one of them happens here:

texCamera->setOrientation( light->getParentNode()->_getDerivedOrientation() );

This means that you likely modified a light's position or direction after SceneManager::updateAllTransforms (e.g. in a listener)

• If you can hunt down the code that changes the light and move it so that it happens before SceneManager::updateAllTransforms, then awesome. Note: Data Breakpoints are awesome for hunting changes to variables.

• If you can't move it before updateAllTransforms, then issue a light->getParentNode()->_getFullTransformUpdated right after you've modified the light. Note that if you keep moving lights around inside listeners, you might cause incorrect rendering (because OgreNext thought the light was somewhere, but you moved somewhere else, then again, then again). These bugs are rare though.

Bad dealloc

This code is wrong:

try
{
	indexBuffer = vaoManager->createIndexBuffer(
		IndexBufferPacked::IT_16BIT, idxCnt, BT_IMMUTABLE, indices, true );
}
catch (Exception &e)
{
	// When keepAsShadow = true, the memory will be freed when the index buffer is destroyed.
	// However if for some weird reason there is an exception raised, the memory will
	// not be freed, so it is up to us to do so.
	OGRE_FREE_SIMD( indexBuffer, MEMCATEGORY_GEOMETRY );
	indexBuffer = 0;
	throw e;
}

It should be:

try
{
	indexBuffer = vaoManager->createIndexBuffer(
		IndexBufferPacked::IT_16BIT, idxCnt, BT_IMMUTABLE, indices, true );
}
catch (Exception &e)
{
	// When keepAsShadow = true, the memory will be freed when the index buffer is destroyed.
	// However if for some weird reason there is an exception raised, the memory will
	// not be freed, so it is up to us to do so.
	OGRE_FREE_SIMD( indices, MEMCATEGORY_GEOMETRY );
	indices = 0;
	throw e;
}

Alternatively you could use FreeOnDestructor which is more user friendly.

The same happens with vertex buffer creation:

VertexBufferPacked *vertexBuffer = 0;
	try
	{
		vertexBuffer = vaoManager->createVertexBuffer(
			vertexElements, vertCnt, partialMesh ? BT_DEFAULT : BT_IMMUTABLE, &v[0], true );
	}
	catch (Exception &e)
	{
		// we passed keepAsShadow = true to createVertexBuffer, thus Ogre will free the pointer
		// if keepAsShadow = false, YOU need to free the pointer
		// OGRE_FREE_SIMD( vertexBuffer, MEMCATEGORY_GEOMETRY );
		// vertexBuffer = 0;
		OGRE_FREE_SIMD( v, MEMCATEGORY_GEOMETRY );
		v = 0;
		throw e;
	}

Ok that's what I have for now.

Crystal Hammer
Gnome

Post by Crystal Hammer »

Okay thank you for help with there. I'll address them later.

I made a video with a faster way to leak v1 meshes GPU RAM.
So, as on video:

• load a track with pipes e.g. that jungle Jng5-Pipes one
  • go to road detail, set high subdivision counts (steps and multipliers) (but not too high, it overflows 16bit index buffers), and lowest length dimension.
  • press B to rebuild road and F4 to save track (just check on Settings - Settings on bottom, to allow saving originals), so you won't need to do previous step any more.
  • now select a pipe road point in middle (its close 4 segments have a lot of vertices now).
  • shift left right for a couple seconds for me already show GPU RAM increasing (last value bottom right on Fps bar). And it won't go down on track reload or otherwise.
Last edited by Crystal Hammer on Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

By the way, you can use:

size_t bytesPerVertex = VaoManager::calculateVertexSize( vertexElements );

instead of manually tracking the size in vertSize (which is error-prone):

vertexElements.push_back( VertexElement2( VET_FLOAT3, VES_POSITION ) );  vertSize += 3;
vertSize *= sizeof( float );