Problem Compiling Ogre in Visual Studio 2015

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
ProfesorX
Halfling

Problem Compiling Ogre in Visual Studio 2015

Post by ProfesorX »

Ogre Version: v13.6.4 (repository)
Operating System: Windows 10 [Version 10.0.19045.2251]
Render System: DirectX 11

Hello, I have returned after a long absence, and I want to resume my learning of ogre from where I left off before.

Before, I was able to compile Ogre from source with no problem, but now that I'm back, things have changed a lot.

I tried to follow the guide to compile ogre, but I must be doing something wrong, because it doesn't work correctly.

I will start leaving the steps that I have followed, and the errors that I have obtained to see if someone can help me and tell me what part I am doing wrong, and how I can correct it

1. I have downloaded ogre from the repository with git clone
    git clone https://github.com/OGRECave/ogre

2. The source code is in the following folder: H:\OneDrive\SVN\ogre

3. I have created a folder called H:\OneDrive\SVN\ogre_build

4. I use the following command to generate the solution files for Visual Studio 2015

cmake -G "Visual Studio 14 2015" -A x64 --fresh -S H:\OneDrive\SVN\ogre -B H:\OneDrive\SVN\ogre_build

Here I have noticed that it downloads the following files, I suppose from the internet, (I thought that it did not download source code, I don't know if this is normal):

3.24.tar.gz (seems to be bullet)
freetype-2.12.1.tar.gz
imgui.tar.gz
pugixml-1.12.tar.gz
SDL2-2.24.1.tar.gz
v5.2.5.tar.gz
zlib-1.2.13.tar.gz

cmake create several folders inside ogre_build.

1. I open the OGRE.sln file generated by CMake to compile the project in visual studio

2. I select Debug and ALL_BUILD and build

3. This is where I get stuck, link errors appear when compiling the OgreBullet, OgreXMLConverter and Plugin_DotScene projects, a total of 99, the same error in various symbols, I don't put them all, just the first one, but the others are similar:

Error LNK2038 mismatch detected for '_ITERATOR_DEBUG_LEVEL': value '0' doesn't match value '2' in OgreBullet.obj OgreBullet H:\OneDrive\SVN\ogre_build\Components\Bullet\BulletDynamics.lib(btDiscreteDynamicsWorld.obj)

1. I go to the folder, H:\OneDrive\SVN\ogre_build\bin\debug and yes several files were generated, but indeed, OgreBullet, OgreXMLConverter and Plugin_DotScene are missing.

2. I try to run the sample file SampleBrowser_d.exe, I have to remove the Plugin_DotScene plugin from the plugins.cfg file for it to load, and it does load, but with error:

Assertion failed
Program H:\OneDive\SVN\ogre_build\bin\debug\OgreBytes_d.dll
File: h:\onedrive\svn\ogre\ogremain\include\OgreMath.h line:695
Expression minval <= maxval && "invalid clamp range"
For information on how your program can cause an assertion failure, see Visual C++ documentation on assertions
(Press Retry to debug the application, -JIT must be enabled)

I give ignore and I get the following:

The requested sample plugins where missing, corrupted or invalid
.\DefaultSamples

and the list of examples appears empty

rpgplayerrobin
Gnoll

Re: Problem Compiling Ogre in Visual Studio 2015

Post by rpgplayerrobin »

It may be that Visual Studio 2015 is not supported anymore?
However, I could not find any information about which Visual Studio version is the lowest required, but I know that 2017 works since that is what I use (for 1.12.13 though).

This is how I build it:
viewtopic.php?p=554037#p554037

ghoulsblade
Halfling

Re: Problem Compiling Ogre in Visual Studio 2015

Post by ghoulsblade »

try my notes for visual studio 2022
viewtopic.php?t=97013
use RelWithDebInfo instead of Debug.
I got errors during debug for compiling ogre itself too, but my project runs fine even in debug compile with the RelWithDebInfo dlls after i set
C/C++ : Code Generation : Runtime Library : set this to "Multi-threaded DLL (/MD)"
in my project.