Ogre CVS HEAD, DotScene, and OgreODE

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
Post Reply
User avatar
IoN_PuLse
Goblin
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 5:54 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Ogre CVS HEAD, DotScene, and OgreODE

Post by IoN_PuLse »

I'm planning on starting a new project that may use dotscene, probably will use OgreODE, but it doesn't matter for me whether I use Hastur or the latest CVS HEAD.

My only dilemma so far is it seems that dotscene has been updated so it (only) works with CVS HEAD, which is fine, except OgreODE will not compile for Ogre CVS HEAD.

So I guess my questions are: if/when will OgreODE be updated for CVS HEAD, or is there a particular revision of dotscene in the CVS that I can download that will compile cleanly with Hastur?

Thanks!
User avatar
Robomaniac
Hobgoblin
Posts: 508
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:39 am

Post by Robomaniac »

YOU can always update OgreODE to head ;)
phear hingo

My Webpage
User avatar
IoN_PuLse
Goblin
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 5:54 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Post by IoN_PuLse »

Heh, yeah. I might unless it's in the process of being updated right now...
User avatar
IoN_PuLse
Goblin
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 5:54 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Post by IoN_PuLse »

Heh, I just updated to to work with the current CVS of Ogre. Wasn't that hard either =) (well, thanks to the great code of Ogre and OgreODE )

I'll post an updated version if anyone is interested, or if monster wants patches I could learn how to do that and make some :)
User avatar
Robomaniac
Hobgoblin
Posts: 508
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:39 am

Post by Robomaniac »

I'll take the updated version :)

I'm gonna make the switch sometime this week, hopefully all in an afternoon so i don't have too much downtime :P

Downtime == Lack of Motivation == Bad
phear hingo

My Webpage
User avatar
IoN_PuLse
Goblin
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 5:54 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Post by IoN_PuLse »

Alright, here it is.

It all seems to be working, the only issue remaining is the one described in this thread, which I am trying to figure out. Hopefully I'm looking in the right place, maybe you can see if you get the same behaviour?
User avatar
monster
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper
Posts: 1098
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:40 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Post by monster »

I don't do CVS HEAD's, so I'll update OgreOde when;
a) v1.0 of Ogre is released
b) I get out from under this pile of dirty nappies, produced by my new son

Don't know what the issue is with the error in that thread, does it only occur in the version of OgreOde that you've updated to work with CVS HEAD, or has it always happened? I've never noticed it.
User avatar
IoN_PuLse
Goblin
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 5:54 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Post by IoN_PuLse »

Well so far it seems easy enough to port stuff to 1.0 (for now) so that part is fine. The other issue seems to only have started up since I have OgreODE's latest cvs + CVS HEAD of Ogre. Previously I was only using 0.15.0 and the last release of OgreODE before it was in ogreaddons...the person who posted back in december would have been using a 0.15.x version of Ogre (I'm only guessing) since at that time Azathoth wasn't available, was it?

I'm sort of thinking it could be my ODE library, but I need to figure out what I did wrong in compiling it this time (as opposed to before when it worked)
User avatar
IoN_PuLse
Goblin
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 5:54 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Post by IoN_PuLse »

Update, it was actually ODE, not Ogre or OgreODE. I compiled with the single precision plus trimesh support and it works in release mode.

So, if anyone downloads that updated version I posted don't use the ODE I included, or configure it properly and build it.
RoundSparrow
Greenskin
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:36 am
Location: Arica, Chile

Post by RoundSparrow »

We are trying to set up our first from-scratch setup using latest csv and are running into OgreODE not being compatible...

If we get it working, shoudl we submit a patch or is someone already taking care of this so that it will be in sync in time for the 1.0 release?

Thanks.
User avatar
IoN_PuLse
Goblin
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 5:54 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Post by IoN_PuLse »

Did you even read this thread? I posted a download link to an archive that contains an updated version of OgreODE I updated to work with the current CVS HEAD, and AFAIK the eventual 1.0 release. (unless there are any additional interface-breaking changes about to be made)
User avatar
monster
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper
Posts: 1098
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:40 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Post by monster »

As I say, I don't use the CVS versions, otherwise I find I spend all my time updating stuff to work with the latest revisions rather than actually getting anything productive done.

Thanks IoN_PuLse for creating that updated version which will work with CVS and hopefully 1.0, I'm sure it will be useful to many people.

OgreOde will be "officially" updated to be compatible with 1.0 of Ogre as soon as possible after 1.0 is released. Unfortunately "as soon as possible" might not be as soon as you'd like since there are a number of updates that need to be finished, to the Vehicle and Ragdoll functionality specifically. Also note that the main bit of OgreOde (essentially the wrapper around ODE) is now a separate library to the additional functionality (the Vehicles, Ragdolls, etc) and they're called OgreOde_Core and OgreOde_Prefabs respectively. You can use the Core library separately since that's effectively just what's already there minus the Vehicle functionality.
User avatar
IoN_PuLse
Goblin
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 5:54 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Post by IoN_PuLse »

Any idea about the timeframe for the ragdoll completion? Or even beta, I'd love to try it out...
User avatar
IoN_PuLse
Goblin
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 5:54 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Post by IoN_PuLse »

Just an update to anyone using the version I updated to work with CVS HEAD, to get it to work with 1.0 you'll need to change:

In OgreOdePreReqs.h:

PLATFORM_WIN32

to

OGRE_PLATFORM_WIN32

:)
User avatar
monster
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper
Posts: 1098
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:40 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Post by monster »

Yeah, that stumped me for a while; "Why the f@#k aren't my import libraries being created?"
:twisted:

Timescale for the ragdoll stuff?
When it's ready!
:D
It was working beautifully, but only if the character was in it's base pose. I've just been ripping the class apart now to add support for creating a ragdoll from any state of the animation. And that seems to be taking a little longer than I'd anticipated!
User avatar
alia
Gnoblar
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:15 am
Contact:

VC6 Projects

Post by alia »

After a bit of mucking around ive got OgreOde to work with the current head (Ion's download was 99.999% of it, i just needed to convert the makefiles and fix the paths - oh and a few syntax problems) if it helps any here are the projects.

Thanks guys!

A.

[/url]
User avatar
IoN_PuLse
Goblin
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 5:54 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Post by IoN_PuLse »

Cool, yeah I'm using VC 2003 so good to see VC6 users won't be left out =)
Hackman
Gnoblar
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:36 pm

No OgreOde.lib...

Post by Hackman »

I can't get the compiler to create the lib file..

I use the stable Ogre V1.0.0 RC 1 release from the website, and the package ogreodeforcvsheadJan2k5.zip, which IoN_PuLse provided in this thread.

Well...if I build project OgreOde from the solution of the VC7.1\OgreOde.sln there is no problem at all. I build without errors, but afterwards it only created the OgreOde.dll and no OgreOde.lib. Do I miss something? Of course the demo projects won't work without that lib file.

I noticed that in the project settings at Linker->Advanced->Import Library it says : $(OutDir)/OgreOde.lib. So you should expect a lib near the dll, if for the dll the path is set with $(OutDir)/OgreOde.dll, right?

Ik hope someone can help me out.
User avatar
monster
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper
Posts: 1098
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:40 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Post by monster »

IoN_PuLse wrote:Just an update to anyone using the version I updated to work with CVS HEAD, to get it to work with 1.0 you'll need to change:

In OgreOdePreReqs.h:

PLATFORM_WIN32

to

OGRE_PLATFORM_WIN32

:)
monster wrote:Yeah, that stumped me for a while; "Why the f@#k aren't my import libraries being created?"
Hackman
Gnoblar
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:36 pm

import libs

Post by Hackman »

:D Tnx monster for the notice...
Post Reply