Ogreode static objects
- charlie
- Greenskin
- Posts: 146
- Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:43 pm
- Location: Austria
- Contact:
Ogreode static objects
I want to create a static object in my world but it has not the shape of a sphere, box, ... Because until now when I wanted to create a static ogreode object i always used MeshInformer::createStaticBox(..) . Now my Object half rounded, but not a sphere, well hard to descripe. What is the easiest way to get a physical representation of this mesh in the ogreode world?
- monster
- OGRE Community Helper

- Posts: 1098
- Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:40 am
- Location: Melbourne, Australia
- Contact:
- charlie
- Greenskin
- Posts: 146
- Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:43 pm
- Location: Austria
- Contact:
I tried the createTriangleMesh(..) . This didn't work very well, since the buggy (the mesh should be a jump) got stuck in it. My object should be a simple round jump. (well, I'm new to modelling, too)
I already looked through the helicopter example, but I don't think that method can be applied here.
Here's a picture that shows the problem:

I already looked through the helicopter example, but I don't think that method can be applied here.
Here's a picture that shows the problem:
- monster
- OGRE Community Helper

- Posts: 1098
- Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:40 am
- Location: Melbourne, Australia
- Contact:
Err, OK. The Triangle mesh stuff should work, does it work in the main test demo thing, the one that looks like a little chunk of landscape?
I'm assuming that the white box around your jump is Ogre's bounding box, can you turn on the debugging geometry to see what OgreOde's building for your jump geometry? Just call setShowDebugObjects(true) on your world.
And actually, you could use multiple transformed geometries for your jump, just use a load of long thin boxes, 5 or so judging by your picture, translated and rotated so that the top faces of them coincide with the surfaces on your jump. It'd be a PITA to work out the transformations though!

I'm assuming that the white box around your jump is Ogre's bounding box, can you turn on the debugging geometry to see what OgreOde's building for your jump geometry? Just call setShowDebugObjects(true) on your world.
And actually, you could use multiple transformed geometries for your jump, just use a load of long thin boxes, 5 or so judging by your picture, translated and rotated so that the top faces of them coincide with the surfaces on your jump. It'd be a PITA to work out the transformations though!
- charlie
- Greenskin
- Posts: 146
- Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:43 pm
- Location: Austria
- Contact:
yes, works fineThe Triangle mesh stuff should work, does it work in the main test demo thing, the one that looks like a little chunk of landscape?
yepthe white box around your jump is Ogre's bounding box
Here's the new picture:Just call setShowDebugObjects(true) on your world.
I also had this idea (and that's also what I did) but I thought that there might be a nicer way, since I have this problem not only once...you could use multiple transformed geometries for your jump, just use a load of long thin boxes, 5 or so judging by your picture, translated and rotated so that the top faces of them coincide with the surfaces on your jump.
Although the new picture looks quit good, with the blue triangles. But, the car still get's stuck...
- monster
- OGRE Community Helper

- Posts: 1098
- Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:40 am
- Location: Melbourne, Australia
- Contact:
A wild stab in the dark, but do you have culling switched off on that ramp mesh? It only seems to be one polygon thick and I can see the "back" of the ramp, even though I'm looking at it's back-face.
If you turn culling on then you might find that the mesh disappears, because you've got the normals pointing the wrong way. This will mess up the tri-collider because it thinks you're driving on the inside of the mesh. So flip your normals in your modeler before you export it.
The triangle mesh collider definitely works, because I'm using it extensively in the new GranTurismOgre demo.
If you turn culling on then you might find that the mesh disappears, because you've got the normals pointing the wrong way. This will mess up the tri-collider because it thinks you're driving on the inside of the mesh. So flip your normals in your modeler before you export it.
The triangle mesh collider definitely works, because I'm using it extensively in the new GranTurismOgre demo.
- charlie
- Greenskin
- Posts: 146
- Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:43 pm
- Location: Austria
- Contact:
That's right. I simply took an elipse and used the "extrude" in ac3dIt only seems to be one polygon thick
Since I now know what culling is (thanks wikipediaIf you turn culling on
But the api has so many hits on culling that I'm not sure how to switch it on. Could you give me a hint because this seems to be really helpful for debugging things like this?
Thanks for you help...
But I'm not only new to ogre (and 3d programming) but also to modelling. (but I suppose that got clear because of my questions
- monster
- OGRE Community Helper

- Posts: 1098
- Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:40 am
- Location: Melbourne, Australia
- Contact:
- charlie
- Greenskin
- Posts: 146
- Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:43 pm
- Location: Austria
- Contact: