Tutorial #4 error on compile [SOLVED]
-
Jeff
- Gnoblar
- Posts: 17
- Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:28 pm
Tutorial #4 error on compile [SOLVED]
Hi, I'm new to OGRE and have been working through the tutorials and have got as far as #4.
I'm using VC++ 6.0 (apparantly that's a bad thing) and when I come to my first compile I get the following error:
c:\stlport-4.6.2\stlport\stl\_string.h(416) : fatal error C1076: compiler limit : internal heap limit reached; use /Zm to specify a higher limit
Error executing cl.exe
Any help here? I've searced the forum but haven't found any solutions to this...
I'm using VC++ 6.0 (apparantly that's a bad thing) and when I come to my first compile I get the following error:
c:\stlport-4.6.2\stlport\stl\_string.h(416) : fatal error C1076: compiler limit : internal heap limit reached; use /Zm to specify a higher limit
Error executing cl.exe
Any help here? I've searced the forum but haven't found any solutions to this...
Last edited by Jeff on Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- haffax
- OGRE Retired Moderator

- Posts: 4823
- Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:40 pm
- Location: Berlin, Germany
- x 8
- Contact:
You searched the forum? With the search function I found this: http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... ight=c1076
The Build-FAQ has it too.
The Build-FAQ has it too.
-
Jeff
- Gnoblar
- Posts: 17
- Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:28 pm
CURSE YOU!!tanis wrote:You searched the forum? With the search function I found this: http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... ight=c1076
The Build-FAQ has it too.
Thanks, used the search function - I was just using the wrong criteria
I was reading through the Build-FAQ, am I right in thinking that if I download v1.0.0 that I'll be able to bypass the patch and the monotonous typing?
- haffax
- OGRE Retired Moderator

- Posts: 4823
- Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:40 pm
- Location: Berlin, Germany
- x 8
- Contact:
-
Jeff
- Gnoblar
- Posts: 17
- Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:28 pm
Installing azathoth hasn't remedied my problem, I'm starting to hate VC++ 6.0 - does that mean I'm "one of you" now?
Could someone explain to me in lamens terms how to install the patch, or which menus / tabs I need to use to access the command line options of my project (for the sake of argument, pretend I'm an idiot
)
EDIT: Found how to access the right bit, thanks for the overwhelming rush of people to help me on this one
Thanks to tanis for giving a damn
Could someone explain to me in lamens terms how to install the patch, or which menus / tabs I need to use to access the command line options of my project (for the sake of argument, pretend I'm an idiot
EDIT: Found how to access the right bit, thanks for the overwhelming rush of people to help me on this one
Thanks to tanis for giving a damn
-
smonijhay
- Halfling
- Posts: 90
- Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:03 pm
Hi Jeff,Jeff wrote:
EDIT: Found how to access the right bit, thanks for the overwhelming rush of people to help me on this one
Thanks to tanis for giving a damn
I'm also using VC++6 and none of the forum threads have helped me with my problem either. Can you explain what is was you did (or found) to fix your issue? I'm a bit lost on the whole patching thing myself.
-
goulash32
- Gnoblar
- Posts: 2
- Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:55 pm
smonijhay wrote:*bump*
really need a solution to this. I've set the /Zm setting in the proper place (I think) and I still can't get ogre to build. Anyone?
Go Project->settings
Click the "C/C++" tab, and under the "General" category, enter "/Zm1000" without the quotes into the "Project Options" box. Compile, and it should work beautifully.
-
smonijhay
- Halfling
- Posts: 90
- Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:03 pm
I'm willing to try this solution again. Although early last week (when I discovered this thread) I had gone so far as to set my /Zm settings to 20000 (just out of frustration
) needless to say... it didn't work.
Is there anything else that I can do with this to get it to run. I've tried to patch the vc++ 6 to service pack 6 to see if it would fix the bug in the software, but no luck there either.
EDIT: grrrr I tried to set it too 500 and 1000 and still no luck. Is there anything that I may be missing? I'm following the tutorial verbatim and I have the dependencies and stlport installed.
Is there anything else that I can do with this to get it to run. I've tried to patch the vc++ 6 to service pack 6 to see if it would fix the bug in the software, but no luck there either.
EDIT: grrrr I tried to set it too 500 and 1000 and still no luck. Is there anything that I may be missing? I'm following the tutorial verbatim and I have the dependencies and stlport installed.
- sinbad
- OGRE Retired Team Member

- Posts: 19269
- Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:19 pm
- Location: Guernsey, Channel Islands
- x 67
- Contact:
It's always a good idea to get the latest SP, especially for something as badly bugged as VC6. Other than that, make sure you're setting it on the right build target, ie make sure it's not talking about release mode when you're changing the setting on debug. In my experience (and I just built Azathoth on VC6 today), /Zm1000 is plenty for all the targets.
-
smonijhay
- Halfling
- Posts: 90
- Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:03 pm
Thanks for the advicesinbad wrote:It's always a good idea to get the latest SP, especially for something as badly bugged as VC6. Other than that, make sure you're setting it on the right build target, ie make sure it's not talking about release mode when you're changing the setting on debug. In my experience (and I just built Azathoth on VC6 today), /Zm1000 is plenty for all the targets.
-
billB
- Gnoblar
- Posts: 3
- Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:54 pm
- Location: Melbourne Beach, Florida USA
I had the same problem with the STLPort until I did four things...
EXACTLY as shown...
1. Delete the lib folder in the STL port directory.
2. Open a command prompt and navigate to the STLPort directory\src.
3. VCVARS32.bat to setup the environment for VC++ 7.0.
4. nmake /f vc7.mak /x err.txt clean all install
I was getting all sorts of odd faults and errors with STLPort untill I did
these four things exactly as described. Nmake wasn't building or installing properly if I did these things piecemeal, i.e. build then install. Also, for whatever reason, if you don't throw in the /x filename.txt then there will also be problems... I just haven't had time to look and it works soooo...
(Lazy I know!)
Works now and Azathoth is playng nicely with the exception that the shadow demo runs at about 1/3 to 1/2 speed from Hastur 15.1.
Unclear about this at the moment...
Cheers...
EXACTLY as shown...
1. Delete the lib folder in the STL port directory.
2. Open a command prompt and navigate to the STLPort directory\src.
3. VCVARS32.bat to setup the environment for VC++ 7.0.
4. nmake /f vc7.mak /x err.txt clean all install
I was getting all sorts of odd faults and errors with STLPort untill I did
these four things exactly as described. Nmake wasn't building or installing properly if I did these things piecemeal, i.e. build then install. Also, for whatever reason, if you don't throw in the /x filename.txt then there will also be problems... I just haven't had time to look and it works soooo...
(Lazy I know!)
Works now and Azathoth is playng nicely with the exception that the shadow demo runs at about 1/3 to 1/2 speed from Hastur 15.1.
Unclear about this at the moment...
Cheers...
-
smonijhay
- Halfling
- Posts: 90
- Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:03 pm
Thanks everyone for the help!!
I think I got it to work (at least on to a new error
)
I did end up uninstalling VC++ 6, then reinstalling it. Then instead of rolling up from SP5 to SP 6 I installed straight to SP6. Then followed the tutorial verbatim again and got it to build. Now just have to figure out this OGREMain.lib error
thanks again!
EDIT: I should add that I did have to add the /Zm setting too after all that
I think I got it to work (at least on to a new error
I did end up uninstalling VC++ 6, then reinstalling it. Then instead of rolling up from SP5 to SP 6 I installed straight to SP6. Then followed the tutorial verbatim again and got it to build. Now just have to figure out this OGREMain.lib error
thanks again!
EDIT: I should add that I did have to add the /Zm setting too after all that
Last edited by smonijhay on Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
billB
- Gnoblar
- Posts: 3
- Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:54 pm
- Location: Melbourne Beach, Florida USA
After A LOT of searching through the STLport forums and trial and error I finally was able to make and install the stlport libraries and dlls (which go into the system32 dir) I have Azathoth compiling and building under VC++6 and VC++7.0 (.NET 2002). I use VC++6 for a lot of libraries which have not been rebuilt with VC++7.0. The name decorating in 7.0 and 6.0 is different because Microsoft decided to "fix" their compiler and make it conform to the ANSI C++ standard. This of course will cause your dlls compiled in VC++6.0 to be unaccessible in VC++ 7.0. Argh!
I did use the EXACT same process for VC++6.0 and 7.0 explicitily calling each VCVAR32.bat i.e. in the STLPort\src dir in a command prompt:
c:\progra~1\micros~1\vc98\bin\vcvars32.bat
or whatever your particular path may be.
Hope this helps.
Cheers.
I did use the EXACT same process for VC++6.0 and 7.0 explicitily calling each VCVAR32.bat i.e. in the STLPort\src dir in a command prompt:
c:\progra~1\micros~1\vc98\bin\vcvars32.bat
or whatever your particular path may be.
Hope this helps.
Cheers.