I don't know if I've mentioned this before but I'm part of a university-based development team for a small action-RPG prototype.
As leader of the group I've assigned the members of my group to look at certain engines and report back on their findings.
I however, have been unable to show anything that I've done at home (basically both the tutorial packs on the Wiki). My problem being the executable files won't run by themselves - do I have to build in Release mode to make them self-sufficient?
If so, how do I change from Debug to release? And is there any way of keeping the project so it can run both debug and release at the same time?
I'm having problem showing off..
- monster
- OGRE Community Helper

- Posts: 1098
- Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:40 am
- Location: Melbourne, Australia
- Contact:
What do you mean by "self-sufficient"? If you mean "just one single executable" then that's not going to happen. If you want Ogre to run on another computer then you'll have to copy across the executable and all the DLLs it depends on. Plus the MSVC runtime stuff as well.
To change from debug to release you change the little drop-down box in the tool bar of MSVC from debug to release.
What do you mean by "run both debug and release at the same time"? By default Ogre is set up to so the debug and release directory structures are separate. All the debug DLLs and executables are in the Samples/Common/bin/Debug directory and the release stuff is in Samples/Common/bin/Release.
You can distribute either Debug or Release versions to different PCs, provided you include all the necessary DLLS, but the Debug version will be (much) bigger and slower though.
To change from debug to release you change the little drop-down box in the tool bar of MSVC from debug to release.
What do you mean by "run both debug and release at the same time"? By default Ogre is set up to so the debug and release directory structures are separate. All the debug DLLs and executables are in the Samples/Common/bin/Debug directory and the release stuff is in Samples/Common/bin/Release.
You can distribute either Debug or Release versions to different PCs, provided you include all the necessary DLLS, but the Debug version will be (much) bigger and slower though.
- Kojack
- OGRE Moderator

- Posts: 7157
- Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:35 am
- Location: Brisbane, Australia
- x 538
- haffax
- OGRE Retired Moderator

- Posts: 4823
- Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:40 pm
- Location: Berlin, Germany
- x 8
- Contact:
You even can present an actual proof, that an action rpg is possible with Ogre.
Trials of the Webbed Blade Source, Binary and DesignDocument are downloadable from this site and its CVS.
9th Life. Source downloadable from this Thread.
Both have been done in a very short amount of time: 3 month or less.
Trials of the Webbed Blade Source, Binary and DesignDocument are downloadable from this site and its CVS.
9th Life. Source downloadable from this Thread.
Both have been done in a very short amount of time: 3 month or less.