Adding new skybox

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
Post Reply
User avatar
spookyboo
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor
Posts: 1141
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:57 am
x 151
Contact:

Adding new skybox

Post by spookyboo »

Does anybody know how I can add a new skybox to the scene without clearing the scene first and without blending the two skyboxes. I´ve tried it with scene_blend one zero (texture*1 + scene_pixel*0 = texture, but this still blends the 2 skyboxes).
User avatar
spookyboo
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor
Posts: 1141
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:57 am
x 151
Contact:

Post by spookyboo »

Nevermind, I've got it already
User avatar
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 4011
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:28 pm
Location: Burgos, Spain
x 2
Contact:

Post by Kencho »

Now that I read about skyboxes, I've noticed that a SkyRenderable/Movable would be a neater solution than the actual "only one" sky. I'll explain. That way, you could have as many skyboxes, skydomes, skyplanes you want, allowing you to combine, for instance, a skydome with two layers of clouds (skyplanes), and even an "horizon" (like low detailed 3D buildings you actually see moving as you move). What about this change?
Image
User avatar
Attis SH
Kobold
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun May 18, 2003 9:42 am
Location: Budapest, Hungary

Post by Attis SH »

Good idea, but isn't that already possible? You could have a scene node under which you keep all your sky/horizon stuff, and you move it together with the camera.

Another solution would be to attach the camera node under this sky/horizon scene node, and apply position changes to the top scene node, and rotation to the camera node...

So I think it's already possible with Ogre.
User avatar
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator
Posts: 4011
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:28 pm
Location: Burgos, Spain
x 2
Contact:

Post by Kencho »

It's already possible indeed, but not in the official Ogre, which I think would be a better place for that... :?
Image
User avatar
spookyboo
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor
Posts: 1141
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:57 am
x 151
Contact:

Post by spookyboo »

A quote from Sinbad found somewhere in this forum
It's remarkably trivial to create your own sky geometry to do more advanced effects - I've done this myself. A prebuilt list of skyboxes / skydomes with a priority list might be supported in a future version of Ogre, but you can do it yourself, just use the facilities already provided in SimpleRenderable, add your sky geometry to the RENDER_QUEUE_SKIES_EARLY/LATE, and use the 'priority' parameter at the end to sub-sort them.
I guess this is not on the top of his list, but it would be nice.
B.t.w. to create 2 layers of clouds: Doesn't a skyplane with a material file with 2 textures (perhaps with different scroll values) do the trick? Haven't tried it yet.
User avatar
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member
Posts: 19269
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:19 pm
Location: Guernsey, Channel Islands
x 67
Contact:

Post by sinbad »

spookyboo wrote: B.t.w. to create 2 layers of clouds: Doesn't a skyplane with a material file with 2 textures (perhaps with different scroll values) do the trick? Haven't tried it yet.
This is what Quake3 does (e.g. q3dm3.bsp) except that it uses a sky dome. It works remarkably well.
Post Reply