MSVS 6 + SP5 + Proc Pack + STLport 4.6.2 = Problem

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
Post Reply
User avatar
apuhjee
Gnoblar
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:46 am
Location: Avila Beach, CA
Contact:

MSVS 6 + SP5 + Proc Pack + STLport 4.6.2 = Problem

Post by apuhjee »

Code: Select all

--------------------Configuration: OgreMain - Win32 Release--------------------
Compiling...
OgreMeshSerializerImpl.cpp
C:\v12\ogre\ogrenew\OgreMain\src\OgreMeshSerializerImpl.cpp(1551) : fatal error C1001: INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR
  (compiler file 'E:\9044\vc98\p2\src\P2\main.c', line 181)
 Please choose the Technical Support command on the Visual C++
 Help menu, or open the Technical Support help file for more information
Error executing cl.exe.

OgreMain.dll - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
A few folks on #ogre3d mentioned that SP6 would solve the problem, however, a seperate project of mine requires the processor pack (which only works with SP5...) There are some days when I really dislike Microsoft!

I did discover that downgrading to STLport 4.5.3 eliminated the error... could the ReadMe included with 1.0 (which recommends 4.6.2) benefit from some additional information?

Any suggestions or similar experiences?

Cheers ~ jp
User avatar
monster
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper
Posts: 1098
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:40 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Post by monster »

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but you really can't blame Microsoft for you using such an outdated compiler. If it's at all possible for you to use a more recent version of MSVC? One that's actually still supported.

Here's a thread that talks about what looks like a similar problem;
http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... iler+error
User avatar
apuhjee
Gnoblar
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:46 am
Location: Avila Beach, CA
Contact:

Post by apuhjee »

Actually - I don't mind hearing it, as I've been ready to upgrade for quite some time... just waiting for most public projects I'm involved with to make the switch as well!

Thanks for the link. I'll try the suggested fix mentioned there.

Out of curiosity, what would one use as search criteria to discover that post? I searched the forum for almost an hour looking for related issues, with zero luck. Even now, when I use "INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR" as my terms, your linked post (titled "INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR"!!!) is not returned as a result! I've had the same luck with other searches.

Thanks for the help ~ jp
User avatar
monster
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper
Posts: 1098
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:40 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Post by monster »

I just used "internal compiler error" as the search term, but make sure "Search for all terms" is checked!

HTH
:)
Tenttu
Halfling
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:56 pm

Post by Tenttu »

I also had that error and SP6 fixed it. You can go around it by commenting out the line, but then shadows won't work. Also note that in Debug build that line compiles just fine.
Post Reply