CVS Client recommendations...

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
tillerstarr
Gnoblar

CVS Client recommendations...

Post by tillerstarr »

I typically use either SourceSafe or Vault sourcegear at work...so I haven't used CVS. What do you all suggest as a good CVS Client?
Tyler Edwards
President
Hachisoft Corporation
www.hachisoft.com
haffax
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by haffax »

Definitly TortoiseCVS. It is more like an extension to the windows explorer. You don't have to open up another application in order to manage your working copies (like with WinCVS) but can use the explorer instead. It uses Icon Overlays to represent the state of each file (like conflicted, clean, changed etc.). And it provides virtually the complete CVS feature set.
team-pantheon programmer
creators of Rastullahs Lockenpracht
temas
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by temas »

Seconded for Tortoise
Attis SH
Kobold

Post by Attis SH »

Normally I use TortoiseCVS, but the "flat" view in WinCVS is very useful to find all the modified files in your working copy.

I haven't yet found a method to show all the files using TortoiseCVS(or TortoiseSVN) in a directory hierarcy.

So I use TortoiseCVS for regular use but I use WinCVS when I want to commit lots of files.
haffax
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by haffax »

Attis SH, I know the problem. You can make TortoiseCVS mark folders that contain changed files, or folders with changed files as changed too. It is not the same, I know, but it eases things a bit. I especially hate it to hunt down conflicted files all over my directory structure. Good advise with WinCVS. :)
team-pantheon programmer
Robomaniac
Hobgoblin

Post by Robomaniac »

Turtoise
phear hingo

My Webpage
qsilver
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by qsilver »

Call me a contrarian, but I vastly prefer SmartCVS with WinMerge set up as an external file comparison tool ;)
DWORD
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by DWORD »

I just use the command-line version of CVS. :oops: Guess it's just because I don't use it for anything other than checking out Ogre once in a while. For doing that it suits my needs fine.
haffax
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by haffax »

I use the command line cvs too. But only to make a diff, because this somehow doesn'T work with TortoiseCVS for me.
team-pantheon programmer
CombatWombat
Greenskin

Post by CombatWombat »

My personal fave is plain ol' cvs under cygwin. Bash, vi, sed, what more could a unix geek want? :-)

http://www.cygwin.com/

Actually, a replacement for the DOS window that bash runs in would be something a unix geek might want, can't get the cygwin xterm displaying on a local (non-cygwin) X server... So anyone with some non-X command window programs they'd like to suggest? Copy & Paste sucks badly under the DOS window!
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Attis SH wrote:Normally I use TortoiseCVS, but the "flat" view in WinCVS is very useful to find all the modified files in your working copy.
Yep, this is the only flaw in Tortoise (that and having no 'Apply Patch' option). You can find modified files by doing a 'commit' though (just don't click ok!). A bit of a hack, I don't know why they don't have this as a feature.
joshcryer
Gnome

Post by joshcryer »

Just FYI, I had problems with TortoiseCVS and its conversion to DOS text on MSYS, no idea if this problem still exists, but you might want to check "UNIX" text formatting in there if you plan to use it with MSYS.

CombatWombat, you might try stealing MSYS's shell, it's much nicer than Cygwins, not sure of the name, rxv-something.

But yeah, TortoiseCVS is amazing. Very simple, very intuitive. Right click -> Update, right in Explorer, makes things very easy, you almost don't even notice the cludge that is CVS there.
CombatWombat
Greenskin

Post by CombatWombat »

Ah thanks for that josh - there's a version of rxvt that is installed as part of cygwin, I just hadn't found it! It can display under an X server running locally (works with a commercial X server ok for me, unlike the other cygwin X stuff) but can also run directly as a windows app.

Yay, a real copy and paste now :D
Slicky
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by Slicky »

My cvsroot file used by Tortoise looks like this:
:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/ogre
It kinda works but I get lots of move away messages like I had modified the files or something.

Should my root file look different for Tortoise to work well?
wwoelbel
Halfling

Post by wwoelbel »

Sinbad mentions that TortoiseCVS has no "apply patch" capability. I have been searching for quite some time now with only tantalizing failures for the tech to apply a patch file. I have installed TortoiseCVS and was wondering if someone could point me to a utility that might apply a patch file? Will WinMerge (mentioned above) do the trick?

Bill
haffax
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by haffax »

Install cygwin and use the command line patch tool of it. cygwin is useful as a whole anyway. :)
team-pantheon programmer
DWORD
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by DWORD »

Yup. Cygwin, see this thread for detailed instructions.
wwoelbel
Halfling

Post by wwoelbel »

Sorry. I swear I searched the forum and the wiki multiple times and ways before asking the question.

:oops:

I do appreciate the help (and for not pointing out that I am blind as a bat)

Thanks!

Bill
Gf11speed
Goblin

Post by Gf11speed »

DWORD wrote:I just use the command-line version of CVS. :oops: Guess it's just because I don't use it for anything other than checking out Ogre once in a while. For doing that it suits my needs fine.
I'm getting frustrated with the CVS! How do I get a command line to download the latest versions from the Ogre CVS? What program can I use to access a command line? Sorry, just getting frustrated with it. Thanks.
Coming soon...
DWORD
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by DWORD »

@Gf11speed: Grab Cygwin, and make sure you install CVS (under 'Devel' in the installer). For how to checkout Ogre see the Developers page.
monster
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by monster »

If you get something like TortoiseCVS or WinCVS I think they come with the command line versions of CVS. It's just that they provide a nice wrapper on top of them to save your poor hands from typing stuff.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Yes, they do come with a cvs - try and open up a command window and type "cvs" :wink:
So, you don't need to install cygwin, etc. (If you don't want to).
What do you need that command-line for?
It's much easier using TortoiseCVS menus.
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.