new to ogre, have some questions :)

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
the_cX
Halfling

new to ogre, have some questions :)

Post by the_cX »

alright, my first thread on the ogre forums!

so ive been watching ogre for a long time now. ever since their main site was still on sourceforge and even much longer before that. i always thought it was wonderful, the screenshots and what not, but i admittingly could never get even a simple 'hello world' to compile. back in the day, for me atleast, setting up the compiler and dependencies and all that was hell. i had tried it a few times over the years and couldnt get it to work, and i left it.

i must say, the simple idea of making an installable sdk with compilable demos, yesterday made me a believer. ogre is everything i could have ever wanted to a rendering engine and its been under my nose this whole time! i just want to tell the developers that this is an absolutely excellent piece of software.

now then, as a total beginner to ogre, i have some questions. mainly about artists tools.

is there a stable or wip terrain editor?

is there a stable or wip map editor?

is there a stable or wip particle effects editor?

i found a lot of threads on here about different things and different projects, i just want to know if there are 'big ones' that everyone is using and what not. any information or link posting would be appreciated.

thanks! :P
spookyboo
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by spookyboo »

is there a stable or wip terrain editor?
Depends on what you want. There are commercial and free editors to create heightmaps and lightmaps (a free (?) one is 'T2'). Lucky Luciano is working an a terrain editor for the Page Landscape Terrain Manager (PLSM2), that does geomorphing and texture splatting. This is still (early) WIP.
is there a stable or wip map editor?

There is a plugin for 3dsmax called Octopus, that exports scenes. I haven't used it, but a lot of other people have. There is also a sceneloader that loads the scenes. If you mean a tool which is comparible to Gtk Radiant, the answer is no, but people are working on that (can you wait another year? ;-))
is there a stable or wip particle effects editor?
Yes, search the forum for particle editor

If you are new, try to setup the envrionment. It isn´t too hard. Compile and run the demos and try to figure out what they do. Recommend are the Wiki tutorials.
charlie
Greenskin

Post by charlie »

the_cX
Halfling

Post by the_cX »

righteous.

thanks a lot guys. :)
Lucky_Luciano
Greenskin

Post by Lucky_Luciano »

Keep it up! The first steps are always hard :)
mmelo
Gnoblar

Re: new to ogre, have some questions :)

Post by mmelo »

the_cX wrote:alright, my first thread on the ogre forums!
Hey the_cX... I see you are now haunting here as I am! :D I too am losing interest somewhat in Cipher and am now looking at Ogre again.

Good to see known faces about!
the_cX
Halfling

Post by the_cX »

hey mmelo! :D