Crazy Eddie stepping down

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Slicky
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Crazy Eddie stepping down

Post by Slicky »

I didn't see it posted elsewhere but I see that CE is sadly going to step down from being the key CEGUI man.

Many thanks CE for all your hard work.
Goosey
Halfling

Post by Goosey »

Woah, what a surprise. How can we have Crazy Eddie's GUI without the Crazy Eddie. :O

Many thanks to Crazy Eddie for his amazing GUI system. I hope that the project will be picked up and continue being improved for a long time to dome.
I <3 the OGRE Wiki, and SO SHOULD YOU! :)
Goosey
Halfling

Post by Goosey »

Woah, what a surprise. How can we have Crazy Eddie's GUI without the Crazy Eddie. :O

Many thanks to Crazy Eddie for his amazing GUI system. I hope that the project will be picked up and continue being improved for a long time to come.
I <3 the OGRE Wiki, and SO SHOULD YOU! :)
nfz
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by nfz »

This must be an April fool's joke, I refuse to believe it.
spookyboo
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by spookyboo »

That's too bad, but if you need a substitue, I've looked into the FOX gui system. It's seems very sophisticated.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Please read this:

CrazyEddie Quits CEGUI

Just some words

It's sad, but understandable. :(

Thank you Crazy Eddie for the best GUI ever! :D

And I'm sure that this wonderful project will continue to rule the world.
There's a lot of happy users already. :)
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
monster
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by monster »

NEVERMIND THAT!

EDDIE'S NAME ISN'T REALLY EDDIE?

Next you'll be telling me he's not Crazy!
McSwan
Greenskin

Post by McSwan »

Hmm dam,

We only just started using cegui in our game, loosing a skilled programmer like Paul will be a blow. I thought he'd be riding on the success of his gui, certainly more and more people are adopting it. Thanks for your time Eddie!
CrazyEddie
Goblin

Post by CrazyEddie »

Hello there :)

Firstly, a thanks for all your support and help over the past 13 months or so. There almost certainly would not have been a Mk-2 CEGUI if it were not for you guys here.

Just to confirm ;) It's not some kind of elaborate April fools gag, I am stepping aside for the foreseeable future. Around six months ago I took a month off after coming very close to quitting; I decided at that stage that I'd give it six more months and look again at the situation. I have done this, and have now made my decision.

Most importantly, I think that CEGUI has reached a stage where it can survive without me. There is no reason at all that the project should die off; surely a project such as CEGUI is bigger than just one person?

Anyhow, I'm bound to look in on things from time to time, it's not like I'll be disappearing off the face of the planet ;) Having said that, I do not intend to personanly work on CEGUI code at any time in the near future; but would never rule out some further involvement at a later stage.

@monster: I can assure you that that I am indeed totally Crazy :lol:

CE.
:wumpus:
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by :wumpus: »

spookyboo wrote:That's too bad, but if you need a substitue, I've looked into the FOX gui system. It's seems very sophisticated.
http://www.fox-toolkit.org/? I've looked at it as well, and it seems nowhere as flexible and customizable as CEGUI. For one thing, in all screenshots it looks like windows/qt.

This is a major setback for CEGUI and OGRE, Irrlicht and whoever uses it :( Then again, you're not alone CE, developing software can be frustrating and I'm we all sometimes feel like quitting very bad. I hope you have fun with other things!
psyclonist
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by psyclonist »

wumpus: Let's compare apples with apples. FOX toolkit should be compared with GUI toolkits a la Qt or MFC ... Comparing it to an ingame renderer oriented GUI doesn't make a lot fo sense. That said, there's a FOX patch to make it skinnable.

-psy
:wumpus:
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by :wumpus: »

Spookyboo was the one comparing them, not me.
Sputnick
Greenskin

Post by Sputnick »

I still believe that both types of GUI are needed: one for fullscreen purposes and a MFC, VCL, Qt, TclTk like GUI for windowed applications.

As games are mostly running fullscreen, I guess CEGUI is exactly what is needed.

But I also think that the community will gain a lot by having a windowed specific GUI. Many world, level, material editors that are building up now, are requiring such GUI. I also think that the scientific community should now start to be interested by Ogre, typically for medical or robotics applications (that's my background in fact) and it will definitely prefer an MFC-like GUI.

Fox-toolkit looks good and as MFC being win32 only and Qt being commercial, it would be a good option. But it should definitely not replace CEGUI. I still planning to draw a few map as an alternative of TaharezLook. This should makes CEGUI more suitable with different types of applications.

Congrats Crazy Eddie for the job done. See you soon on other projects of the 3D community. :wink:

- Sput
spookyboo
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by spookyboo »

I didn't want raise a discussion about this :shock: . Both types are needed.
Kai-Peter
Greenskin

Post by Kai-Peter »

Thank you Paul for all the great work you have done on CEGUI! :D

Heaps of luck and good fortune on all your future projects.
Kai Backman, programmer (Blog)
ShortHike - Space Station Game
psyclonist
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by psyclonist »

wumpus: OK... you did compare flexibility and customizability. ;)
spookyboo wrote:I didn't want raise a discussion about this :shock: . Both types are needed.
Of course! I just wanted to make sure that we compare the right things. Both libraries have slightly different aims, IMHO. While it's great for a ingame GUI to be easily skinnable, it's often of no real use to windowed applications as people expect them to adhere to common GUI standards and a common, often OS specific look and feel.

In case anyone is interested, for an editor I'm working on I've created a OGRE rendering widget for the FOX toolkit. On Win32 it uses D3D9, on Linux... it does nothing right now. I can remove the dependency on Yake and upload it if it's useful to anyone. Maybe the Wiki would be the right spot for it.

Sorry for taking this a bit OT.

-psy
Sputnick
Greenskin

Post by Sputnick »

@psyclonist (sorry for being OT)
I'm definitely interested by your Ogre Fox-toolkit widget.

-Sput
Xinc
Halfling

Post by Xinc »

I too thought this to be an april fools joke prior to CE confirming otherwise himself. Its sad to see this happen, but good luck with your future endeavors CE :)

Now I'm a complete n00b when it comes to things like this, so don't mind me asking a few questions as to the fate of CEGUI.

What road will CEGUI take now? I hate to bring this up again, but are there new priorities? Or is the road map staying as is?

<me puts up a flame shield>
- Xinc
_mental_
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by _mental_ »

I'll be posting a more formal goodbye and the future announcement on the CEGUI website later today, but in brief:

CEGUI isn't going to die out, there has been way to much work done on it for us to let that happen. I think its a little early to think about migrating away.

For anyone who is interested in keeping this project going, I'll be setting up a thread on the CEGUI website to discuss the future later today.

As for my role, I have accepted the admin role and though I won't be as active in coding as CE (due to another project that I work on ;)) I am going to take an active role in its direction and design.

Paul/CE, thanks for all your hard work in getting this project to the position it is in now. If it wasn't for you temas and I would have been majorly distracted in writing our own GUI toolkit :). We'll keep your baby up and running :)
Lucky_Luciano
Greenskin

Post by Lucky_Luciano »

That's truly sad to hear.
A big thank you for the work you did on CEGUI is the least I can do :) Without it my current Ogre project wouldn't even be possible...

Good luck on your future endeavours!
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Big thanks to CE for such a useful library, I'm sure it will live on. Even if CEGui didn't progress any further than today (and that's not likely to happen), it's still a much better embedded GUI than any others I've seen, and it's design principles are a perfect match with Ogre. Migrating to another embedded GUI is unthinkable.

I've volunteered as a 'grunt' to help with any Win32 work that needs doing, since I've submitted patches / enhancements in the past. I advise any other experienced users to spare their time if they can to help keep it going.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

I don't think it is sad to hear! :) Not at all - to the contrary.
What was sad, though, was observing an increasingly frustrated project admin during the last couple months ...
I respect the decision of mr CE - it was probably not an easy one to make.
And the world will be a happier place now.

I feel confident that CEGUI will continue to be the very best ingame GUI to grace this planet!

And it feels good to know that the project is in good hands now. :wink:
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
Robomaniac
Hobgoblin

Post by Robomaniac »

I leave for two days and look what happens :'(

Thanks for a great GUI system crazy!
phear hingo

My Webpage
haffax
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by haffax »

Right, it's all your fault Robomaniac. ;)

Anyway. Thank your very much CrazyEddie for all the efforts you put into the lib. There are many projects that wouldn't have been started without a decent GUI system to use. :) Good luck with whatever you plan to do next (house, child, tree, whatever)
team-pantheon programmer
creators of Rastullahs Lockenpracht
Mawen
Halfling

Post by Mawen »

I'm sorry to see CE step down. I hope CEGUI keeps getting better and better and the legend of CrazyEddie lives on.

Some might recall I did some research on in-game GUI possibilities, and found that GTK+/gtkmm was written in such a way that it might not be too far away from being another possible in-game renderer. (GTK is skinnable. And FOX, while having a nice API, was one of the worst nightmares that I've ever seen for internal rendering methods, totally opposite to GTK/GDK.)
I haven't worked on it for ages (back before there was a CEGUI release for OGRE), but I may at some point continue this. I think some CEGUI code for rendering, and maybe even some sheeting were some things that could help. I will not be working on this for at least 2-7 months, assuming I will at all, but I'd be happy to share the source I have so far with anyone interested.