I made two versions:
- A pre-compiled binary version: which you can download here. I host this on my personal webspace so I'm not sure how long it will hold out. *fingers crossed*
If you want to see the map-editor in action without the hassle/problems to get the application compiled, this is exactly what you are looking for (+/- 15 mb).
- A source version: I included the necessary files to compile it out-of-the-box when using Visual Studio 7.1 and run a default Paging landscape map. You can find that version on the Ogre CVS. You can find more info on how to get the CVS here.
If you have questions that aren't covered in the readme file (or if I made a mistake) then this is the perfect place to ask your questions.
Of course I didn't release the source solely as a showcase for the editor. The main reason is that some people suggested to help me on the editor and I want to allow them (or other people) to work on features for the editor if they feel like it.
These are the current features on the TODO-list:
- Real-time terrain deformation via different brush-sizes and brush-strengths (already implemented)
- A modular GUI. Meaning: I tried to keep the GUI as flexible and "independent" as possible, so adding new functionality to the editor should be very easy. Different people can work on different parts of the map-editor independently and can simply "plug" their "module" into the main-GUI later when they are finished. (already implemented)
- Real-time texture-painting in the terrain via different brush-sizes and brush-formats
- Placing objects and items on the terrain via an easy to use drag-and-drop interface
- A fog editor (partially implemented)
- A water editor
- A skyplane/skybox/skydome editor
- Exporting the terrain as a .mesh object for easy importing in other Ogre applications
- Loading/saving maps
- Undo/redo functionality
- Dynamically add new pages to an existing terrain (so the final terrain size doesn't need to be known from the beginning) (Should already work, though I don't have a GUI for it though)
Thanks and enjoy!