Important Step Missed in WIKI?

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Drew_Benton
Halfling

Important Step Missed in WIKI?

Post by Drew_Benton »

hey guys, I've been messing around with OGRE and I noticed a step was skipped in the WIKI. On Tutorial 8 it says:
Now we need to make some changes to TutorialFrameListener. There are a number of ways the FrameListener could have been setup. We created it as a separate class. We could of instead, also had the TutorialApplication inherit from ExampleFrameListener, and that would of saved us from having to pass the scene nodes. But, no, I did not do it the simple way. This time at least. Go to our method TutorialApplication::createFrameListener(), we need to add the two new scene node in the following way, so go ahead and make the changes:

mFrameListener = new TutorialFrameListener(
mWindow, mCamera, mControlNode, mShipNode, mCameraNode );

That does it for working in TutorialApplication.cpp and TutorialApplication.h.
However, after doing this my FrameListener never worked. I took a look at this page on OGRE How-to's and it says that:
You must also register your FrameListener to the Root. This can be done in the createFrameListener()-function of the class that is derived from ExampleApplication. You can register as many FrameListeners to the root as you want. It will look something like this:

void createFrameListener(void)
{
MyFrameListener listener = new MyFrameListener(mWindow, mCamera);
mRoot->addFrameListener(listener);
}
So the part of the

Code: Select all

mRoot->addFrameListener(listener);
was left out in the WIKI I believe. Just pointing this out, if I am wrong, feel free to tell me, I am new to OGRE :D
DWORD
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by DWORD »

You are right. Feel free to edit the text; it's a wiki just for that. :)
Drew_Benton
Halfling

Post by Drew_Benton »

Ok cool. I went back and started reading some more, and I noticed it was done around tutorial 5, but for someone such as myself that likes to jump around, I think that was an essential step that was worth being shown again :) I didn't know working with wiki's was so easy either.
Clay
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by Clay »

For the most part you can skip around in the tutorials, but any tutorial that's marked "Part x of y" you should read in order. =)