Ogre logo scalable vector graphics

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
:wumpus:
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Ogre logo scalable vector graphics

Post by :wumpus: »

I've been playing around a bit with inkscape lately, and had made some technical illustrations for my thesis using it. I got totally addicted with the program (the tutorials are fun and so cool being able to zoom in/out without pixelizing, and it has very cool gradient features). Then I saw an example of creating a tux, that immediatly made me think of the Ogre logo.

This might be useful for people that want to use the OGRE logo in print, because it means you can scale it to any resolution without losing display quality.

Even this big... Be Very Afraid :-)
Image\

The original svg file can be found here: http://members.home.nl/miathan/ogre/ogrehead.svg
jonnii
Halfling

Post by jonnii »

wow, that's some nice work wumpus :D
Mr.Bloodworth
Halfling

Post by Mr.Bloodworth »

SVG requires a viewer. (its a kin to XML i think)

I have been using illistrator for years. They are a very nice file type. Not many displayable formats sadley, most require a viewer of some sort. But for using it as a logo creation, scale has no place here, Its not a raster image so it not bound by "pixels" its just a bunch of points with some math inbetween.(unless it has been rasterised)

Infact most 3d modling apps allow you to bring vector native formats in and you can extrude from them.

you did a good job on that image, congrats and welcome to the world of vectors! (well, in a 2d sence that is lol)
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Mr.Bloodworth wrote:I have been using illistrator for years. They are a very nice file type. Not many displayable formats sadley, most require a viewer of some sort.
True, as openoffice still can't import them directly I usually end up converting them to huge pngs. But it's nice to be able to rasterize them at every resolution as the need arises.

Support is improving though, for example, some versions of mozilla can display (including animations!) natively: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/svg/ . This isn't in the default build though, which is bad.
But for using it as a logo creation, scale has no place here, Its not a raster image so it not bound by "pixels" its just a bunch of points with some math inbetween.(unless it has been rasterised)
Exactly, love the splines!
Infact most 3d modling apps allow you to bring vector native formats in and you can extrude from them.
Won't matter much for this head as it was a 3d image to begin with, but might be useful in some cases.
you did a good job on that image, congrats and welcome to the world of vectors! (well, in a 2d sence that is lol)
:)
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

@:wumpus: That rocks utterly :) It even improved the quality of the edges, which is perfect for what I need - I've been meaning to update the CafePress T-Shirts and now I can :)
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Yay!
Mr.Bloodworth
Halfling

Post by Mr.Bloodworth »

:wumpus: wrote: True, as openoffice still can't import them directly I usually end up converting them to huge pngs. But it's nice to be able to rasterize them at every resolution as the need arises.
Well, lol If im not mistaken SVG was created for Web display, but i never cought on, You can however get the viewer from adobie (i think it also comes with newer illistrators)
:wumpus: wrote: Support is improving though, for example, some versions of mozilla can display (including animations!) natively: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/svg/ . This isn't in the default build though, which is bad.
Like i said, The viewer (alot like flash) can be downloaded from adobe.
Viewing it with out the viewer gives you the text file with all the vecoters and the math between. Im no expert but other have compared it to XML. And this may be somthing you would want to think about for makeing GUI's with, with the ability to just make the SVG in alot of common vector programs, the acessability would be increased (mainley talking about the "skinning" of the GUI, as you know Size has nothing to do with vectors)
:wumpus: wrote: Won't matter much for this head as it was a 3d image to begin with, but might be useful in some cases.
Well, create a simple line (just one line open object) import it using an EPS importer.. aligin it on the Y, and lathe =)
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Yeah I know there are several viewers for SVG, gnome and KDE can even have icons in svg format. The whole vector thing is taking off, albeit slowly, now screen resolutions are rising and the diversity is very large.
sinbad wrote:@:wumpus: That rocks utterly :) It even improved the quality of the edges, which is perfect for what I need - I've been meaning to update the CafePress T-Shirts and now I can :)
By the way, will there be a black version this time?
Mr.Bloodworth
Halfling

Post by Mr.Bloodworth »

:wumpus: wrote:Yeah I know there are several viewers for SVG, gnome and KDE can even have icons in svg format. The whole vector thing is taking off, albeit slowly, now screen resolutions are rising and the diversity is very large.
sinbad wrote:@:wumpus: That rocks utterly :) It even improved the quality of the edges, which is perfect for what I need - I've been meaning to update the CafePress T-Shirts and now I can :)
By the way, will there be a black version this time?
Flash is a vector based program *wink* (you may have known that)

As far as i know cafie press dosnt do dark colors (i know as i use them also, major drawback of them)
Last edited by Mr.Bloodworth on Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kentamanos
Minaton

Post by Kentamanos »

Nicely done... Inkscape is a really cool program.

I wanted to throw my 2 cents in since the discussion drifted around a bit.

SVG is XML. It's a particular XML document type. It can do all sorts of stuff other than just purely drawing objects. It's pretty close to a Flash replacement. I think the depth of what it can do though has slowed its adoption, but I also think the fact that there's one browser out there that hasn't felt threatened is another reason (this seems to be changing).

As far as UI's being vector based etc., it's coming. In fact, some UI's on the horizon will be vector based and use XML as their format as well. Take a look at what Microsoft is doing with XAML (and in the process making SVG people upset). MS isn't the only group doing vector based UI's.
Mr.Bloodworth
Halfling

Post by Mr.Bloodworth »

Kentamanos wrote:Nicely done... Inkscape is a really cool program.

I wanted to throw my 2 cents in since the discussion drifted around a bit.

SVG is XML. It's a particular XML document type. It can do all sorts of stuff other than just purely drawing objects. It's pretty close to a Flash replacement. I think the depth of what it can do though has slowed its adoption, but I also think the fact that there's one browser out there that hasn't felt threatened is another reason (this seems to be changing).

As far as UI's being vector based etc., it's coming. In fact, some UI's on the horizon will be vector based and use XML as their format as well. Take a look at what Microsoft is doing with XAML (and in the process making SVG people upset). MS isn't the only group doing vector based UI's.
Very cool, my GUI comment was from the creation side, just open illistrator and make the "widgit thingys". (i hope lol)

There are extencive tools for it in illistrator, you may wish to give it a look.

Side note, dosnt Eq and EQ2 use XML for there UI?

This little baby was created 100% vector based (by me) untill its display format.(raster)
Last edited by Mr.Bloodworth on Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
haffax
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by haffax »

:wumpus: wrote:By the way, will there be a black version this time?
I really hope so. I won't by a non-black one. :D
team-pantheon programmer
creators of Rastullahs Lockenpracht
regress
Halfling

Post by regress »

Just a curious questions which I come around to every now and then . . .

Would there be any advantage if Ogre were able to render SVG? Perhaps as a GUI overlay (in CEGUI or somesort), or even as a texture. Probably the performance hit would be fairly large since you're rendering an svg to a texture every now and then, but wouldn't this provide a very sharp texture, regardless of distance at which it's viewed?

Our art team would be particularly excited about using it for GUI's inside of OGRE and whatnot, but I may be wishing for something completely impossible and/or unecessary.

Regards
regards
Mr.Bloodworth
Halfling

Post by Mr.Bloodworth »

Clay
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by Clay »

regress wrote:Just a curious questions which I come around to every now and then . . .

Would there be any advantage if Ogre were able to render SVG? Perhaps as a GUI overlay (in CEGUI or somesort), or even as a texture. Probably the performance hit would be fairly large since you're rendering an svg to a texture every now and then, but wouldn't this provide a very sharp texture, regardless of distance at which it's viewed?
It has been discussed before.
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

It would indeed be Very Nice, but I gave it up because at the time no SVG library with decent support for dynamic SVG (which you would really need for a game GUI, along with a scripting language thata can access the DOM) was available. Heck, even the static ones only implemented kind of half of the spec.

I'd still like to do it though. The mozilla svg library seems the best of the open source SVG renderers but also the most complicated to integrate (might depend on a lot of mozilla fluff). So yeah..
rmmt
Gnoblar

Post by rmmt »

this might be of interest..

http://www.schleef.org/swfdec/
Ramon Miguel M. Tayag
alphageek
Gnome

Post by alphageek »

Great work on the SVG logo wumpus! It looks very nice: I will use this in my next credits screen. :)

I am also very excited about the possibilities of vector-based UI. I can't remember whether I posted on the forums or not, but I got Cairo going in Ogre a while ago. I did the obvious thing: render to a texture, then display.

Some time in the future I'll probably spend some time and get something dynamic and scriptable going using Cairo. Unfortunately I can't justify the time this would take right now.
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

Don't know about Cairo, but I guess the dynamic texture possibilities Ogre offers now would be a better solution than RTT (in my opinion... :?)

@:wumpus: : Very nice image. I'll use it everywhere :)
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

The RTT method could be slightly better, as it allows for hardware based composition. Using dynamic textures all work (like line and primitive drawing and alpha composition) has to be done on the CPU.
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

Thanks for the appointment :D
Cyberdigitus
Halfling

Post by Cyberdigitus »

This might be of interest, hardware support is on the way. i wonder what took them so long...

OpenVG

while we wait for that... RTT's are one way to get vectors in the 3d scene, but wouldn't it also be possible to convert the vectors to splines and tesselate them, so you have them as flat 3d objects? maybe something could be done with shaders too to fill them.
. . .
celic
Gnome

Post by celic »

Great work!!

I'll print it on a T-shirt surely :D
sgrgc
Greenskin

Post by sgrgc »

autotrace is a program to create svg from imagesand supports color http://sourceforge.n ... autotrace/
potrace another one for b&w images http://potrace.sourceforge.net/
Last edited by sgrgc on Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BenO
Goblin

Post by BenO »

we can't compare autotrace and potrace.

Potrace produces only black and white results.
Autotrace can do color too.

For B&W , potrace is far better than Autotrace.
Potrace is one of the best vectoriszation algorithm in the world ^^

Autotrace is pretty shit , at this time , for color vectorization :
it is really hard to produce vector-images without holes :o

Autotrace is one of the most promising solution ( particularly for "gradient reproduction" ) ,
it only lack a little algorithm about "hole fitting" / "surface jonction" :D

here's a little non formal comparison ( about size ) between "all" color
vectorization software :

http://remote.daisk.fr/public/comparatif.jpg ( /!\ ~ 1mo size)
(vectory is mine)
Benjamin RIGAUD
Software Engineer