2D Opening Splash screen

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
darkmaster
Halfling

2D Opening Splash screen

Post by darkmaster »

Hello all,

I'm making a 3D racing game for my project at school using OGRE. I have some questions about a 2D opening screen. I want to display the logo of our Ogre and Ogre in the opening like the way comercial games does, but I'm not really sure which method I should use to display those screen. Is it using OverLay, GUI, or maybe RTT ?

And I would like to get some suggestions on how to implement fade in or fade out as transition between screen (I guess it can be done with light, but if there is more simpler solution... :o ).

Can I change the Ogre logo on the Root config? which Imagefile I should change in the media directory (or maybe other directory) ?

I hope that you guys can help me here since we got just 10 weeks to realize this racing project. also, I intend to give this game to Ogre3D as material for study to help student like me. Thankss alll

Regards,

DARK
Engineers aren't boring people, but they got excited over boring things and they make it fun.
www.freewebs.com/gpkfontys
walaber
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by walaber »

a simple way would be to use a full-screen CEGUI::StaticImage, and just use the setAlpha() method to fade it in/out gradually, over a black background.

as for the config-dialog image, I think it's compiled into the .dll, so you'll probably need to replace the image in the project (and re-compile the win32 manager), or possibly use a program like ResHack to replace the .bmp itself in the existing dll...
Go Go Gadget OGRE!!
Goosey
Halfling

Post by Goosey »

walaber wrote:as for the config-dialog image, I think it's compiled into the .dll, so you'll probably need to replace the image in the project (and re-compile the win32 manager), or possibly use a program like ResHack to replace the .bmp itself in the existing dll...
Suggestion #1 is much cleaner, although if your out for bonus points you could replace the built in config-dialog. Fun times.
I <3 the OGRE Wiki, and SO SHOULD YOU! :)
darkmaster
Halfling

Post by darkmaster »

yesss, I use reshack already. For anyone who see this thread and want to know which dll you have to open, its OgrePlatform.dll . I open OgreMain.dll at first and nuthin happen (what's wrong what's wrong!!!**panicked a bit***) . If I want to make the scene of the game changed from splash screen -> User Interface -> the game, I wonder how should I do it? Should I just use frameStarted method and put some timer between each game state? or maybe anyone have more better suggestion for the transition between screen? I don't think using this frameStarted and place a lot of if things is really georgeous heh heh heh :wink:

DARK
Engineers aren't boring people, but they got excited over boring things and they make it fun.
www.freewebs.com/gpkfontys
Goosey
Halfling

Post by Goosey »

darkmaster that job sounds best suited for a state manager, I suggest you check out this wiki article: http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/Ma ... _with_OGRE
I <3 the OGRE Wiki, and SO SHOULD YOU! :)
Willi >.>
Gnoblar

Post by Willi >.> »

walaber wrote:a simple way would be to use a full-screen CEGUI::StaticImage, and just use the setAlpha() method to fade it in/out gradually, over a black background.
Sorry for bumping the topic.. but is there a way to do this without using CEGUI? (yes, I'm only starting out OGRE) And does the image have to be n^2 size?
What to do, what to do, what to do....
haffax
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by haffax »

Yes it is easily done. Instead of CEGUI::StaticImage you can use Ogre::PanelOverlay and define the image as a texture in the panel's material.
team-pantheon programmer
creators of Rastullahs Lockenpracht
Willi >.>
Gnoblar

Post by Willi >.> »

Ahh, thanks a lot!
What to do, what to do, what to do....