Video cards

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Slicky
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Video cards

Post by Slicky »

I just downloaded RenderMonkey and am realizing that I probably need to upgrade my video card (GF3 Ti500). All the DX9 examples give errors on pixel shaders etc.

Without creating a monster thread what cards are you guys happy with/recommend? Something good but doesn't need to be bleeding edge.
ruifig
Gnoblar

Post by ruifig »

ATI Radeon 9600 should be ok.
I have a 9600XT.
By now, you can get a 9600 quite cheap.

But wait for other oppinions. :)
haffax
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by haffax »

6600GT would be my recommendation. As it probably has the best power per money ratio (Given some minimum power ;) ).

You should give us some money cap btw.
team-pantheon programmer
creators of Rastullahs Lockenpracht
fog
Greenskin

Post by fog »

Yep, until two months ago my best video card was the horrible Radeon M6 of my work laptop. Needing a "fixed" computer at home I decided to go for a Shuttle (very nice) with NVIDIA 6600 GT on the AGP bus. Now I am *very* happy. Price is good (around 180 euro here) and I can run all the ogre demos I never seen before.. :)
temas
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by temas »

I'm about to fix up my system, and I too am going with the 6600GT, best price break point by far.
Slicky
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by Slicky »

Thanks guys. I think the 6600GT not 6600 might be a great pick as you mentioned. PS 3.0 support etc and nice speeds. Now I've got to score a good price.
smonijhay
Halfling

Post by smonijhay »

Gotta go with the crowd on this one. I just bought the 6600 GT a couple of months ago. I was able to see ALL the demos (finally). Got tired of my co-worker bragging about how cool the grass demo looked when I couldn't see it on my machine :lol:
innovati
Kobold

No clue about GFX cards

Post by innovati »

Heh, this looks like an opurtunity to ask a question that's been buggin me for a while.

I would like to get a new PC, to make my game on. I (until now) have been strictly a 2D artist (w00t GIMP) so all I ever needed was 2D. I have an nVidia GeForce4 MX 4000, but it doens't have the DX9 or the pixel-shaders.

I would really like to get a mac mini or else either build my own Linux mini-OTX or get a cheap PC this summer. The mac mini comes with "ATI Radeon 9200 with 32MB dedicated DDR SDRAM over an AGP 4x bus"

Will that do what I need it to? If not, is it easy to upgrade or even possible to on a mini?

If I go PC (remember I'm kinda on a budget) what card/setup should I need: I would be using Debian Linux, Blender, OGRE and ODE.

Thanks a lot guys!
Imperil

Post by Imperil »

Radeon 9200 is a DX8.1 class card and not DX9 and therefore does not give you access to VS and PS 2.0. I am not sure about the upgradability of the minis as I have not used one.
fog
Greenskin

Re: No clue about GFX cards

Post by fog »

innovati wrote:I would really like to get a mac mini or else either build my own Linux mini-OTX or get a cheap PC this summer. The mac mini comes with "ATI Radeon 9200 with 32MB dedicated DDR SDRAM over an AGP 4x bus"
I bought a "barebone" Shuttle (http://www.shuttle.com/, PIV, memory, 5.1 audio, lame integrated fgx board) and added an old HD and and NVIDIA 6600 GT. The final price was about €100 higher than the mac mini and system is a little bit larger but Shuttle cases are really cool and the hardware spec quite better than mac's.