Ogre Benchmarks or A Ton of Ninjas (Sweet!)

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Telamon
Kobold

Ogre Benchmarks or A Ton of Ninjas (Sweet!)

Post by Telamon »

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone has done some comparitive benchmarks of ogre running on different hardware. I'm developing with Ogre on a three year old Dell Inspiron with a crappy Geforce440Go and 1.9 Ghz Pentium 4M, but I hope to upgrade soon. 3d programming with Ogre would be one of the main reasons for this upgrade, so I was wondering what kind of hardware would give me what kind of performance.

With my gear I can display about 50 skeletally animated ninjas on the screen before my FPS drops into the realm of the unplayable. Is it possible to greatly increase this number with new hardware? I guess I'm wondering if the bottleneck is the GPU or the CPU. CPUs haven't gotten that much faster in 3 years (very sad), but GPUs have made huge strides.

Here's a neat screenshot of a stress test I did on my compy

This army of deadly ninjas brought my computer to it's knees (there are 400)
Last edited by Telamon on Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Imperil

Post by Imperil »

1.) Skeletal animation of 400 models will eat performance like no tomorrow.
2.) The ninja is only software skinned and not hardware, the robot is hardware skinned.
3.) I am guessing you did not add any LOD/progressive meshing.
Telamon
Kobold

Post by Telamon »

No I was just trying to get a feel for how my my hardware could handle. Obviously if I were planning a game that required so many ninjas I would have to do some serious LOD.

What is the difference between hardware and software skinned and why is it an attribute of the model and not of how you choose to render it?
RoundSparrow
Greenskin

Post by RoundSparrow »

Has anyone tried a native C++ DirectX app vs. Ogre to get relatie overhead? Not a trivial comparison, but I think a useful one... is there some common DirectX benchmark that is opensource?
Looking to hire people working out of their home to do C++ Ogre programming. Blender artists also wanted. Looking for long-term relationships. PM on forums or contact via AIM or email Art@Arica3D.com
Imperil

Post by Imperil »

Telamon wrote: What is the difference between hardware and software skinned and why is it an attribute of the model and not of how you choose to render it?
Actually it is per the model's material. The robot model's material specifies hardware skinning using shaders whereas the ninja is done on the cpu without using shaders. Each model has a material such as texture, gpu programs, etc that are specific to that asset.

Using hardware skinning can speed up rendering drastically in some cases.