3ds max exporter - multiple meshes

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
zx99
Gnoblar

3ds max exporter - multiple meshes

Post by zx99 »

Can i export multiple meshes that make up one model in 3dsmax using the ogre exporter.

If not, how do i join them all to create one single mesh?
psyclonist
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Re: 3ds max exporter - multiple meshes

Post by psyclonist »

zx99 wrote:Can i export multiple meshes that make up one model in 3dsmax using the ogre exporter.

If not, how do i join them all to create one single mesh?
What's your definition of a model?

You can create a single mesh by combining them in max prior to exporting.

-psy
batonrye
Halfling

Post by batonrye »

the exporter supports sub meshes, right?

if you convert each mesh to an editable mesh, then in the modifier options there will be a feature to combine the curent selected mesh to another mesh. just reapeat untill all become one.

Simply using groups will not achieve this.
zx99
Gnoblar

Post by zx99 »

Yeh, i know i should be combining them before i export, but i cant figure out how to do this.

I cant see anything in the modifier list that will do it
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

I find that confusing - and time-consuming as well. :?
What I do is convert all to editable meshes and connect them into one before exporting, but that means that my modifier stacks will collapse.
After export I undo the connect/collapse so that I can continue to edit my level.
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
Gf11speed
Goblin

Post by Gf11speed »

What about attach? I hit 'attach' to join models before exporting, so they all export as one mesh.

I think you can just select the models, right click, and hit 'attach'.
Coming soon...
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

'Attach' is what I meant. (Been awhile since I used max) :wink:
That works well. As long as you undo the whole thing afterwards.
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
zx99
Gnoblar

Post by zx99 »

batonrye
Halfling

Post by batonrye »

ah yeah, 'attach' - been a while for me too
DexterHolland
Halfling

Post by DexterHolland »

Sorry, i'm not really intro 3DS... I really identify myself as a coder, not a designer.

How can I get the attach button to work? After selecting all the meshes in the scene, all I can do is group or assemble, and neither of those options work for exporting the scene as a mesh composed of sub-meshes.
DexterHolland
Halfling

Post by DexterHolland »

And as sooner I posted, as sooner I'd find by myself... and accidentally while trying to learn about textures.

By what I saw, the attachment must be done mesh by mesh, one at a time, so that's the only way to get the attach button enabled.

Thanks anyway.
Lexx
Kobold

Post by Lexx »

it's two week late, but
"attach" method isn't only one way to get your idea worked.

you can use OgreMaxExporter (HEAD/ogrenew/tools/3dsmaxExport/OgreExport) to make your multimesh model in one .mesh file with submesh sections (and load it as like simple onemesh model). But this exporter doesn't support animation.

or you can use OgreMaxscriptExport(HEAD/ogrenew/tools/3dsmaxExport/MaxscriptExport) to make your multimesh model in separated .mesh files, but with one global .skeleton animation file (and load it to ogre as multimesh object with "shareSkeletonInstanceWith" technique). But you need to fix .mesh files, because they will be linked to separated .skeleton files. Just open .mesh.xml file, fix "skeletonlink name=" string (like skeletonlink name="global_skeleton.skeleton") and reconvert it back to .mesh file.

and my question:
is there some exporter, which allows to export all animation info (all bones config of skeleton) into one single .skeleton AND export multimesh object to one .mesh file? i'm too stupid for fixing OgreMaxExporter bone animation support... :(
Evak
Orc Shaman

Post by Evak »

sometimes you have to collapse the stack of the model your trying to start the attaching from. then you can use attach selected and pick from a list of meshes to combine them into one.

Another thing you can do inside your exporter (if your mesh is static) is to put the meshes in a static geometry group. Ogre will try and combine meshes that share the same static geometry group into a single batch, within the region sizes you set (the batches will be split on a per material basis internaly in ogre I believe.)

This way you don't need to attach your meshes in your exporter.

Thats the method I use with ofusion for static scenery anyway.
eumesmo4002
Gnoblar

Rigging a model

Post by eumesmo4002 »

Hi
I am doing a game for my final project of the way and have some models of characters.
The modellers left the project and do not know how to cheer them. Someone knows a good tutorial for rigging models in 3dMax?