Solaris?

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
BoorishId
Kobold

Solaris?

Post by BoorishId »

I have been using linux for quite a while now i love it, die hard gentoo fan! Anyways i had to acually install windows for this game project with my team (since the game market is on windows) and buy vs.net, becuase vc6 wont link with dx9's april update and start remmbering how to code for windows again, what a pain in the ass ms is! Anyways when i formatted i left room for a gentoo partion on my drive and i was acually thinking about using it to test my copy of solaris 10 x86. I was wondering if you can acually get your 3d hardware working under solaris can you build orge with it? Has anyone tried this yet, im sure its just a few changes of the header libraries, maybe a lilttle more? I dont see why this would be a problem if you use a geforce and use nvidia binary driver (acually i dont know if there is any for solaris). Hmm the more i think about this idea the more it starts to seem like a dud. Well if anyone has done this let me know.
jonnii
Halfling

Post by jonnii »

solaris, more like slowlaris am i rite?
BoorishId
Kobold

Post by BoorishId »

im not sure... like i said ive had the cd's and want to test it but i also want to be able to devlop my *inx port of the game with it, if i cant ill just stick to gentoo.
ibrown
Gremlin

Post by ibrown »

Solaris 10 uses the xorg X11 server (it also has xsun - but xorg is enabled by default after install) ... so I guess the nvidia stuff should work. I host my solaris 10 in a Virtual PC 2004 session, so it only sees an S3 card.
I've not actually tried to compile Ogre on it ... but it comes with gcc 3.x etc as standard in the installer so it probably would work ok.

To be honest though, I would stick with gentoo for gamedev. Solaris is great for server apps (the new dtrace is great for performance profiling) ... but the drivers are still limited. Now, if only Gentoo would put Ogre 1.0.1 in portage (even in unstable). Currently it is still 0.15.1 :-(

Ian
:wumpus:
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by :wumpus: »

ibrown wrote: To be honest though, I would stick with gentoo for gamedev. Solaris is great for server apps (the new dtrace is great for performance profiling) ... but the drivers are still limited. Now, if only Gentoo would put Ogre 1.0.1 in portage (even in unstable). Currently it is still 0.15.1 :-(
Any idea who's the Gentoo maintainer for the Ogre package?

As to Solaris, our stance towards that is the same as towards OpenBSD, FreeBSD, SGI, and the various other unices. It's very nice if you get it to work, and we will accept portability patches (within limits of course, you shouldn't have to rip apart the entire GL rendersystem for example :) ) but there is no way we can officially support them.
ibrown
Gremlin

Post by ibrown »

wumpus, from the changelog, it looks like mr_bones_@gentoo.org

http://www.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.c ... /ChangeLog

There is a bugzilla incident for adding 1.0.0, but they are reporting problems with SDL which I think is blocking it. Maybe someone from the Ogre dev team could poke their nose in :wink:

http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=83306

Ian
LordMyth
Gremlin

Post by LordMyth »

There is absolutely no 3D support from NVidia for solaris, so I would give that up right now you know...
Have a kiss from me!
Gentoo Linux on AMD64 3200+
NForce4 Chipset
Dual Channel DDR 2x512MB
PCX 16 GeForce 6600 256MB