Machinima/Demo creation with OGRE?

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Buddy_DoQ
Gnoblar

Machinima/Demo creation with OGRE?

Post by Buddy_DoQ »

Hey guys, I've been doing a bit of research into real-time renderers and somehow managed to find OGRE through a Slashdot comment, and looking at the screenshots/features I'm very impressed.

I'm a machinima guy first (http://www.machinima.com) a traditional 3D artist/animator second and a programmer almost never, (Active Script/Lingo.) All I need is a 3D space that I can import scene info from Max and play it back in real time, where I'll then image dump and run with the footage from there.

Err, let me rephrase: I wish to create a virtual film stage for assets both static and animated created in Max. The lights, camera, and action all manipulated as quickly and as easily as possible. Is OGRE right for me? And if so, what can I look at to extrapolate the time effectiveness in using OGRE for my production(s). (i.e.: how much work it would be to get setup and going, and are there demos/examples I can look at along these lines?)

Right now I’m just wishing to ‘look-at’ my models and take screenshots with something like FRAPS, but at some point I wish to have full dynamic control over my lighting, 3D camera (with DOF?!) and my characters animations/placement/timing. And maybe one day much further down the line use the same art and technology as a base for a game.

Thanks for your time and input, and apologies if I've been redundant!
-Buddy of DoQ
Poseidon
Kobold

Post by Poseidon »

Hi !
I think it is not that easy to get Ogre running and customized in a decent way without C++ knowledge. Eventually, ogre is a library which you can use in your own code, not a ready-to-go game engine. Maybe it is possible you use an Ogre application someone else programmed, but if you want to customize it in any way, you will have to dig through C++ code.

But maybe you take a look at blender (www.blender.org) . First of all its a free modelling/rendering toolkit, but it also provides a real-time game engine which can be used without much coding needed.

greetz,
Poseidon
Clive Jackson
Greenskin

Post by Clive Jackson »

Hi Buddy_DoQ,

I seen a number of your posts on machinima.com. You may want to out check out what we are doing with a product called Blink 3D http://www.pelicancrossing.com which uses Ogre for the rendering engine and we are in Alpha with it right now. One of the target markets for Blink 3D is Machinima.
All I need is a 3D space that I can import scene info from Max and play it back in real time, where I'll then image dump and run with the footage from there.
Using JavaScript you should be able to do this quite easily with the product as it stands today. In future versions there will be a powerful point and click interface that allows you to use behaviors. The builder is already built we just need to port it over from the Atmosphere engine that it was using to the Blink 3D engine.

I would love to have some input from an experienced machinimaker like yourself when we start testing the builder. :)
Thanks
Clive
Buddy_DoQ
Gnoblar

Post by Buddy_DoQ »

Thanks for the feedback!

I finally got a chance to look at the demo and sample files last night when I got home from work, and did a bit more research and I now have a better grasp of what OGRE is and is not.

Poseidon: I have looked into blender before in the past, years ago, and I've toyed with a few demos from its real-time app, but I have not had the chance to experiment in creating my own yet. It's on my rather lengthy to-do list. My current production isn't slated to start until this fall when I can devote 110%, right now I'm just exploring my options and OGRE stood out. Funny thing is I thought it sounded familiar, and it turns out someone I know from another board is using it for his own game (Ogrian Carpet.)

Clive Jackson: I think what you’re working on is may just be what I’m looking for! I’m e-mailing my self the link right now so I can check it out tonight. Thanks for the heads up! 8)
-Buddy of DoQ