Visual C++ 5.0 and stuff

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
TobascoSpam
Halfling

Visual C++ 5.0 and stuff

Post by TobascoSpam »

Hey, I just finished finals for this semester and I actually have free time now. I've taken several college programing classes and was thiking about doing some Ogre stuff, but I have Visual C++ 5.0. I'd like to try some stuff with Ogre in VC 5 but do you all think I should just buy the newest version, 7.0 isn't it? Anyone know if Ogre works with 5.0? I guess what I really want to know is what is different between the two versions? Is it really worth the upgrade? I'm more worried about buying the newer version (spending $100) and then not being able to figure out how to work it and so on. Maybe you all also have some recomendations on books that I might buy to go along with the new dev environment?

Also can anyone recomend some books (or websites) for a few other things I wish to learn? I'd like to learn how to write server side scripts that interact with webpages, database stuff, etc. I want to learn how to write programs that interact with windows and other programs like opening the web browser to a certain website, getting windows media player to play movies within my programs (like an embedded video clip in a browser). I'd also like to learn how to write programs that do networking, patches, and basic install and uninstall abilities. I know its alot of stuff, I don't expect to learn it all in the blink of an eye, but I'd like to try and learn a few things over summer.
:wumpus:
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by :wumpus: »

We support VC6.0 as minimum in the current version (1.0.x), in the next major version we will drop support for that and 7.0 will be the minimum.
VC6.0 has an abysmal C++ standards compliance and STL implementation. This must be even worse for VC5.0. Just the thought of it *shudders*

I can recommend the code::blocks IDE as a free alternative, at least until you buy a recent MSVC.
http://www.codeblocks.org/

You can find exact build instructions in the Absolute Newbies article in the wiki.
TobascoSpam
Halfling

Post by TobascoSpam »

Thanks for the quick reply, is 7.0 the newest? I'd like to buy whatever is current.
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

7.1 (2003) is the newest. But there is a beta of VisualStudio .NET 2005 express (a.k.a: 8.0)
BoorishId
Kobold

Post by BoorishId »

In order to compile the acuall engine with the newest Dx9 support you need at least .net 2000 might as well buy .net 2003 7.1 you can pick up the standard edition for a 100 bucks or vs pro at your college book store for 100 with a student id (just no commerical releases if you do it that way). Micrsoft has kindely stoped supporting Dx9 and vc6 in there april update, bunch of jackasses.
TobascoSpam
Halfling

Post by TobascoSpam »

You think its worth waiting for 8.0? I could use codeblocks until then I guess.
:wumpus:
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by :wumpus: »

The standard edition of 7.1 (aka MSVC++ 2003) is only $90, this is the normal version without any licensing or student restrictions.

But yeah, it might be best to wait for 8.0 now it's almost there.
TobascoSpam
Halfling

Post by TobascoSpam »

Yeah I think Ill wait for 8.0 and use codeblocks till then. Is anyone using OGRE with codeblocks? Does it work? Im no expert, I just want to mess around with it some. Any ideas on books or websites about learning the other items I have listed?
Clay
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by Clay »

No clue on the other questions, but here's how to use Code::Blocks with Ogre: http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/Th ... Blocks_IDE
TobascoSpam
Halfling

Post by TobascoSpam »

Great! I was looking through the tutorial yesterday but didn't finish reading it and most of what I saw was for VC 7.
TobascoSpam
Halfling

Post by TobascoSpam »

Seems great, but I'm missing "ogrelogo.bmp" when I try and compile everything.

-edit Wait I missed a step, trying that now

-edit Nope didn't work
Last edited by TobascoSpam on Fri May 06, 2005 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TobascoSpam
Halfling

Post by TobascoSpam »

I guess I know alot less than I thought, I can't get any of the demos to run in Code Blocks. I set (as an example) the Demo_grass project as the active project, and then tell it to Run the Release (after I compiled everything and all) and it wont run. It can't find ogremain.dll. It's been a while since I've programmed anything C++ (2-3 years now) so I guess I've forgotten some stuff.
emperorsnewmusic
Kobold

Post by emperorsnewmusic »

By default, all the executables for the demo projects are copied to samples\common\bin\release, along with the binaries for the engine, such as ogremain.dll. The executable needs to be in the same directory as the other binaries, alternatively I think you could put the dlls into windows\system32 or something, but that may introduce more problems later, keeping track of which build you are using and so on.

Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong.
TobascoSpam
Halfling

Post by TobascoSpam »

Yeah I see those in there as well and I can run the demos from those exes in the samples\common\bin\release folder, but I wonder why I can't get CodeBlocks to run it though. I mean in my horribly dated VC 5.0 I could just go to Build > Run Whatever.exe and that was it (so long as everything compiled ok), so I'm guessing I don't have something set up correctly?

Edit- I guess what I need is something a little closer to the description layed out in http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/Humble_Beginnings where they tell you how to setup the files and all for a new Ogre project in VC 7. I know that the ultimate newbie's guide has some stuff on how to setup the workspace in Code::Blocks, but I don't know how to setup a new project for the first program section of the guide. None of my classes really went over projects and workspaces, so maybe I don't even have enough background knowledge? That's slightly sad if so.
TobascoSpam
Halfling

Post by TobascoSpam »

Hey I actually got something to work, I'm so proud of myself :lol:. I've sort of taught myself how all of the projects and workspace stuff interacts today. It's now one in the morining here, but I'll sleep good knowing I got something to work. The only thing I don't know about (and perhaps I should be posting a new thread in the "Back to Basics") is that I have to copy the .exe from my own project's folder within the samples folder to the common\bin\Release folder whereas the other sample programs all do this automatically. How do I get mine to do that as well? I guess its not a big deal, but I want to know. Oh also, I made some User Defined templates to make new projects with, but I don't see how to delete them if I no longer want them (I have several that are no good and were just initial attempts). Anyone know how to get rid of them?
mandrav
Halfling

Post by mandrav »

The only thing I don't know about (and perhaps I should be posting a new thread in the "Back to Basics") is that I have to copy the .exe from my own project's folder within the samples folder to the common\bin\Release folder whereas the other sample programs all do this automatically. How do I get mine to do that as well?
Hint: See the post-build steps in the samples (Project->Βuild options->Release->Commands->Post-build steps).
Oh also, I made some User Defined templates to make new projects with, but I don't see how to delete them
This is a recently introduced feature and it still lacks some functionality, like what you 're describing. But they 're just folders on your disk so you can delete them manually. Look for them in "C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\.CodeBlocks". All folders in there, are the user-templates you created. Delete them at will ;)

Yiannis.
TobascoSpam
Halfling

Post by TobascoSpam »

Ok cool but now that I've setup the post-build step I get an error

Switching to target: Release
Compiling: main.cpp
Linking console executable: ..\bin\release\template.exe
Info: resolving Ogre::Vector3::ZERO by linking to __imp___ZN4Ogre7Vector34ZEROE (auto-import)
Info: resolving Ogre::Math::fDeg2Rad by linking to __imp___ZN4Ogre4Math8fDeg2RadE (auto-import)
Running post-build step: Release
Command execution failed...
Project : Ogre_Template
Compiler : GNU GCC Compiler (called directly)
Directory : F:\Programming\Ogre\ogrenew\Samples\Template\

Here's what I've typed in for the post-build (release):

..\..\..\Dependencies\bin\cp.exe ..\bin\Release\Template.exe ..\..\Common\Bin\Release
strip ..\..\Common\Bin\Release\Template.exe

Any ideas on that? From the message I thought the error might be from what I had written, but perhaps not?
mandrav
Halfling

Post by mandrav »

Code: Select all

..\..\..\Dependencies\bin\cp.exe ..\bin\Release\Template.exe ..\..\Common\Bin\Release
strip ..\..\Common\Bin\Release\Template.exe
You probably don't have cp.exe and/or strip.exe.
Create a batch file, let's say update.bat, in you project dir and put in there the following command:

copy /y <path_to_your_executable> <path_to_ogre>\samples\common\bin\release\
and put in your post-build steps just this:

update.bat
To verify that it's working, run update.bat manually and verify that your executable is in fact being copied to the ogre samples bin folder...

Yiannis.
Deamon
Gremlin

Post by Deamon »

Are there any major disadvantages to use CodeBlocks instead of MS 7.1 ?

Deamon
IMPERIAL U-FLOTILLA 1914-1918
http://www.dreadnoughtproject.org/heinrich/main.htm
Current stage: 2 - pre alpha
TobascoSpam
Halfling

Post by TobascoSpam »

Success!!!! I've been busy for a while and hadn't had time to get back to this problem. I got my relative paths all messed up was what had happened. I fixed it and all is good now. Thanks for the help. BTW I don't really see any disadvantage to using Code::Blocks, seems quite nice to me, just takes a bit of getting used to. It actually has some features that I like better than Microsoft's product (though I haven't tried the newest). I can definately say it has the advantage of not costing $100 :D.
Deamon
Gremlin

Post by Deamon »

Thanks. Already downloaded. :)

Deamon
Deamon
Gremlin

Post by Deamon »

BTW: Can it compile for multi platforms ? And can i compile in DX with it ?