Skeleton animation ?

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Joeker
Gnoblar

Skeleton animation ?

Post by Joeker »

Hi,

I'm new to this engine and I just have a few questions before I decide if I should move on with it.

For my project I need to have access to a complete skeleton/bones model of a character from for example Milkshape.
That means, I should be able to call methods like

Code: Select all

Joint joint = getJoint("elbow")
joint.rotate(0.2)
And the characters (elbow) bone and mesh would rotate.
It's absolutely crucial for my project and really the only demand, everything else is just a bonus but not a neccesity. Playing predefined animations comes in handy but its not enough for my project.

I looked in the docs but I'm not sure if I can understand enough of it to draw any conclusions.

Thanks,

Joeker
haffax
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by haffax »

That is perfectly possible to do. Look at the API docs especially the classes Ogre::Bone, Ogre::Skeleton and Ogre::SkeletonManager for details.

Everything that is possible with predefined animations is possible to create on runtime too.
team-pantheon programmer
creators of Rastullahs Lockenpracht
Joeker
Gnoblar

Post by Joeker »

haffax wrote:That is perfectly possible to do. Look at the API docs especially the classes Ogre::Bone, Ogre::Skeleton and Ogre::SkeletonManager for details.

Everything that is possible with predefined animations is possible to create on runtime too.
Maybe I'm missing something but I didnt see any methods on either of these classes that you mentioned that directly deal with manipulation of the skeleton-joints.

Does that mean that the methods inherited from Node that deals with rotation/scaling/translation have the desired effect instead ?
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

The Ogre API Docs wrote:void Ogre::Bone::setManuallyControlled ( bool manuallyControlled )

Sets whether or not this bone is manually controlled.

Remarks:
Manually controlled bones can be altered by the application at runtime, and their positions will not be reset by the animation routines. Note that you should also make sure that there are no AnimationTrack objects referencing this bone, or if there are, you should disable them using pAnimation->destroyTrack(pBone->getHandle());
Bones are derived from Ogre::Node - so you use the methods inherited for positioning, rotation, etc.
Last edited by jacmoe on Tue May 31, 2005 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/Ma ... llingBones

Your problem could have been solved easily with a simple search ;)
Joeker
Gnoblar

Post by Joeker »

OK thanks everybody. Now comes the hard part, migrating from Java to C++.. :( Well you live and you learn..
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by xavier »

Unless I am mistaken, there is a fairly useful C# binding to Ogre available somewhere...and migrating from Java to C# is rather simple, I would think. ;)
Kentamanos
Minaton

Post by Kentamanos »

xavier wrote:Unless I am mistaken, there is a fairly useful C# binding to Ogre available somewhere...and migrating from Java to C# is rather simple, I would think. ;)
It was Axiom, but the lead developer is sort of MIA at the moment. A group working on an engine called "Realm Forge" has effectively started to fork the Axiom work and make fixes where necessary.
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

@Joeker, good luck migrating from Java to C++... If you manage to get it done, you'll notice it's a rewarding thing... :)