in.out.side

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
nfz
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

in.out.side

Post by nfz »

While doing some research on how to implement ambient occlusion in real time, I came across this site: http://www.nesnausk.org/inoutside/.

There is a very cool demo available for download on the site that should be checked out by anyone who has a graphics card that supports ps2.0 and above. Its only for windows platform and needs DX9c so the linux guys will have to watch the video along with those that don't have the gfx hardware. The video is good too but the real time demo is much better.

The demo makes good use of normal maps and the ambient occlusion technique and lots of shaders. ODE and Lua are used but no Ogre, its their own rendering engine.

Oh, and the story is good too :).
DWORD
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by DWORD »

Holy crap! :shock: That's the beautiest real-time graphics I've ever seen. Really polished. :D
BenO
Goblin

Post by BenO »

downloading ^^

arg :/ no ps 2.0

geforce 4600 sux :o
Benjamin RIGAUD
Software Engineer
spookyboo
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by spookyboo »

Aren't these the same guys that made 'The Fly' demo?
celic
Gnome

Post by celic »

yes, they are.
muppet
Halfling

Post by muppet »

wow!!! VERY nice!
monster
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by monster »

Very nice indeed.

Makes my venerable old (!?) FX5600 sweat a bit! Ho-hum. Off I trot to the computer shop to get another new graphics card.
Krulspeld
Kobold

Post by Krulspeld »

With regard to realtime ambient occlusion look don't miss these:

http://download.nvidia.com/developer/GP ... 2_ch14.pdf
http://www.tml.hut.fi/~janne/aofields/

I am settling for precomputed ambient occlusion for now.
regress
Halfling

Post by regress »

amazing :shock:

That's great that they give the full source to their engine, I wonder what license it's under, and whether they also give their artwork. It sounds like some of their tools are quite amazing too . . . maybe we can talk to them to get them to share it :D
regards
max621
Gnoblar

Post by max621 »

More fine work from my mother country :)
nfz
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by nfz »

Krulspeld: ya, I've settled for precomputed AO also. I am using ATI's Normal Mapper tool to do the precalc and I'm pretty sure the people that did the demo used the same tool.
Krulspeld
Kobold

Post by Krulspeld »

NFZ: I believe for the ATI normal mapper you already need to have an unwrapped mesh. I used FSRad for unwrapping, but I guess you could also use Max of UVUnwrap. I calculate the AO with a custom tool. What tools are you using besides ATI normal mapper?
NeARAZ
Gnoblar

Post by NeARAZ »

Gee, thanks for the positive comments! Some answers:

What license of our engine? MIT.

I just put up a minimalistic website of the engine: http://dingus.berlios.de (more content will follow).

Why not Ogre? I don't know. I'm doing "my own" stuff because a) it's fun, b) I've started it long ago, Ogre was also relatively new back then.

What AO tool - I've used normalmapper for the final AO computations; and a quickly hacked tool (using GPU) for "preview" AO computations (it didn't produce quality results, but on the other hand it was ~10 seconds vs. 3-4hrs). I plan to improve the tool and release it soon. It would compute UV unwrapping of the hires model and compute AO of than on the GPU; then feed that to modified NormalMapper and it recasts AO map onto low-poly model. Nothing rocket science; the GPU AO tool would abuse D3DX and the rest is modified normalmapper.
Vectrex
Ogre Magi

Post by Vectrex »

awesome, just proves the art style is as important as the tech, which is also awesome :)
These art assets would be an ideal test to see how Ogre handles so many new gfx card features at once. Of course if we're allowed to use them :) But everythings in wackyland format so probably not ;)
I wish someone would make a game that had an interesting concept like this demo... just that one character alone has more interesting potential than every single game description I've heard for the last few years (except Spore of course :)
B_Lizzard
Kobold

Post by B_Lizzard »

I had seen that a while ago and was considering telling you but I was afraid you would start nagging about the superiority of OGRE! :P

All I have to say is wow.That and OpenSceneGraph's Waters take the "Biggest Wowness Today" Prize.Last time was when I saw the freshnel demo.But really now, are normal maps good enough for games?Since in.out.side has a tops of 60 fps I couldn't really tell the diference between normal maps and no normal maps.Or is the performance hit too big? :?

Anyways, It seems that wilst modeling & Animation has been done in 3dsmax they say that Blender's UV (Maps?) were really helpful.I still bet Blender could have done better than 3dsmax though :wink: