Pick Forums Carefully

News, announcements and important global threads from the Ogre3D Team.
temas
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Pick Forums Carefully

Post by temas »

I'm seeing a lot of posts that do not belong in the forums they are posted in. So, everyone, please be a bit more judicious in your forum choice before you hit the new post button. Keeping the posts together based on our set topics really helps with the reading. Here are some helpful reminders of where to post:
  • Help is for all your questions that deal with OGRE.
  • Back to Basics is for general programming questions, mentioning OGRE as an example of a concept is OK, but if the question is directly about OGRE use, put it in Help.
  • General Discussion is not Help, Showcase, Using OGRE in Practice or Back to Basics. It's for whatever random mish mash is left over after you've exhausted all the other options. Yes, you can post anything there, even off topic stuff, as long as it doesn't belong in another forum.
If you feel there needs to be some more clarity, please ask or suggest more helpful reminders. Thanks.
joshcryer
Gnome

Post by joshcryer »

Might I suggest when moving forums you uncheck the "show moved forum" thingy? It's hard to explain, and I don't know if PHPbb has that feature or not, but it would decrease the clutter. That's what we do on another forum I semi-run (but it's IkonBoard).
haffax
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by haffax »

Most people who post in the wrong subforum are beginners often not only in Ogre, but with phpBB too. If we don't mark posts as moved, they might not find them when they look for it and consider it deleted. The "view your posts" link in the top right corner is often harder to find than one thinks it is.
team-pantheon programmer
creators of Rastullahs Lockenpracht
zander76
Halfling

Post by zander76 »

Ha, don't i feel sheepish.. :) I never niced a button called find your own posts. I usually just remember were I put it. It does help to find it if you first think about were it should go.

Ben
Dating a women is like driving in a foreign country. You don't know what side of the road your on, you can't understand the signs and you certainly don't want to ask for directions but it usually worth the ride. :)
:wumpus:
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by :wumpus: »

joshcryer wrote:Might I suggest when moving forums you uncheck the "show moved forum" thingy? It's hard to explain, and I don't know if PHPbb has that feature or not, but it would decrease the clutter. That's what we do on another forum I semi-run (but it's IkonBoard).
IMO the "show moved" is a very handy feature, the redirection does expire after a while right? It's a very good way to show people that their topic was moved, so they can learn from that.
Aklix
Goblin

Post by Aklix »

I don't know about recent versions, but I had to hack a "Moved Message" timed remover into version 2.0.11.
haffax
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by haffax »

It doesn't expire, but it trickles down the list, as it won't be shown on top, when a new post is added to the thread. Expiration time isn't needed imho.
team-pantheon programmer
eternalrequiem
Gnoblar

Post by eternalrequiem »

I posted that I'm looking for someone to work on a game in the recruitment forum and it got moved here though..

isnt the recruitment forum where you look for people?
or did someone just want to help me get noticed?
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Looks like it's still in Recruitment to me.
haffax
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by haffax »

I moved it out of it. Someone else moved it in again. I should have attached a note, with the reason. This post doesn't meet the requirements for being in the recruitment forums. It does not present the work already done. But it is clearly stated in the forum description, that it has to. I didn't move it out again, to prevent further confusion.

I still don't think it belongs there. No info, no homepage, no nothing.
team-pantheon programmer
nfz
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by nfz »

:oops: I moved it back after reading his post and seeing it in general. Yes, he doesn't state what work has been done but it is a recruitment post.

In temas's sticky about "What is this place?", where does it say you have to state what work has already been done?
eternalrequiem
Gnoblar

Post by eternalrequiem »

I posted my email address, to contact me for further info. Isn't that enough?
SuprChikn
Bugbear

Post by SuprChikn »

Forum description wrote:Recruitment
A place for employers, project leaders etc to post if they are looking for people to assist with an Ogre-based project. Please only post in this area if you have a _serious_ project proposition for which you already have something to show for.
I guess the last part of this is what is being discussed here.
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

Yup.

The thing is that there was a sudden flood of "I'm gonna do the best MMORPG"-like threads that show nothing. This is why it's important that: It has something related to OGRE (obvious ;)) AND it realley shows something, to demonstrate there is a real intention to continue walking that way :)
eternalrequiem
Gnoblar

Post by eternalrequiem »

that makes sense.. I don't want to include everythign that's in the game.. on the forums though.. we (as a team) dont want our ideas stolen before our game is released.
KeAz
Halfling

Post by KeAz »

I already put together a team for my project, but it's been slow getting started, I have two artists(one being myself), a musician, and one programmer (myself). I'm pulling double duty, I have two others willing to help (one learning to program and one working on story(pending group approval). I've recently gone beyond concept art/ external 3D artwork. Many of our models are built. My project is huge, but I will have plenty to show. I've got big plans and about a year in the making so far (we all have other jobs). I will keep the community updated. I'm currently working on a website to be put up in the coming weeks.
Wretched_Wyx
Orc

Post by Wretched_Wyx »

[Edited to be less hostile]

KeAz, you should put that last post of yours in a new thread. Kind of a bad place to put that, in this announcement thread about carefully choosing where to post :wink:.
chromanin
Gnoblar

Post by chromanin »

Heh... some MVP/op can please lock this thread?...
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Wretched_Wyx wrote:Kind of a bad place to put that, in this announcement thread about carefully choosing where to post :wink:.
I think people got the message. :wink:
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
KeAz
Halfling

Post by KeAz »

Sorry, bout that. Was only making a point that even though I have a good start, I didn't think it was ready for a recruitment or showcase thread yet. Want something solid and downloadable first, but it was an example of bad placement. Or just TMI without actually making my point.