[BlenderExporter] Model Distortion

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
getarun_vr
Gnoblar

[BlenderExporter] Model Distortion

Post by getarun_vr »

Hi all,

I'm trying to develop a game using Blender for modelling and Ogre for graphics. Last week I exported an unskinned robot model, I had created, into mesh format. When I saw it in the mesh viewer, it looked horrible! The animation was even worse.

I thought I must have done something wrong somewhere and reread all the tutorials. This time I've designed an unskinned baby elephant model (very shabby work :oops:) in Blender. This time too, there are missing faces and weird parts being animated. A screenshot from the meshviewer (while animating) makes it apparent:

Here are the files, I've made:
Elephant model (.blend)
Elephant model (.mesh)
Elephant skeleton (.skeleton)

Can anybody please help me out with this? I cannot seem to go ahead at all, without having a decent art pipeline first.

-Arun Ravindran
reimpell
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Re: [BlenderExporter] Model Distortion

Post by reimpell »

getarun_vr wrote:Can anybody please help me out with this?
The animation is distorted because some of your vertices aren't assigned to any bone. This is also the reason why you get the error message "Error: Vertex in skinned mesh without influence, check your mesh!" on export and why I wrote "All vertices must be assigned to at least one bone." in the manual.

The "missing" faces are the same as in Blender's game engine (PKey). The normals aren't pointing outside. You probably also want to use the "Two Sided" active draw mode for the faces of the ears.
getarun_vr
Gnoblar

Solved!

Post by getarun_vr »

Hmm.... It works :P But it took a lot of hard work

Best part was learning "Weight Painting". Even despite that there were many unassigned vertices. There was no way to select them together in Blender. Finally I went for a simple solution:

I selected all vertices in editmode and set their weight to a very low value (0.02) and assigned them all to the root bone ;)

Now it works like a charm. Thanks reimpell!

PS: I shall remove the blender files as they are no longer nessessary
reimpell
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Re: Solved!

Post by reimpell »

getarun_vr wrote:Even despite that there were many unassigned vertices. There was no way to select them together in Blender.
In "Edit Mode", you can select vertices that are not assigned to a vertex group named after an existing bone of the parent armature with this script.
Ey'n G
Gnoblar

similar problem

Post by Ey'n G »

I've a similar problem. Meshes that I export from blender look much different in Ogre. e.g I made three cubes that represent a floor, ceiling and a wall. In blender it looks nice but in the MeshViewer it's deformed.
It's not a bug, it's a feature!
Du sprechen deutsch? visit www.forum3d.tk
reimpell
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Re: similar problem

Post by reimpell »

Ey'n G wrote:I've a similar problem. Meshes that I export from blender look much different in Ogre.
Is it related to the question
FAQ on the wiki wrote:Can I export a mesh object in object coordinates but with object size transformation applied?
answered in the exporter FAQ?
Ey'n G
Gnoblar

That's it

Post by Ey'n G »

Yep, that's it! Thanks a lot. I can't figure out why I missed that question in the FAQ.
It's not a bug, it's a feature!
Du sprechen deutsch? visit www.forum3d.tk
Mattek
Gnoblar

Post by Mattek »

Hello,

I've just started learning Blender and Ogre reading tutorials that kindly people wrote around. I've tried the gus blender tutorial realizing a Ginger Man with a walking animation. Then after doing all ogre basic tut i start the intermediate animation tutorial. I wanted to put in it my Gus walking through the nav points. After some days of pain searching info on blender exporter i found the (apparently) right way to export my mesh with animation to ogre.

The only problem is that i got some distortion that make my lil gus look quite ugly. I post a couple of pictures to show you what's wrong.

In this picture there's the model view in blender

here gus in ogre with his legs distorted.

All vertex are assigned to a bone, I've checked this multiple times and no errors came out from the script. I've tried to solve the problem backing the animation with no success (that didn't change anything).

this is the file i want to export from blender. It lacks of texture but i know how to add them, i just need the animation to work without distortion.

http://nega.ath.cx/gus.blend

any help would be appreciated. thanks.

PS: I'm using Blender 2.41 and Ogre 1.2.0