BSP Plugin Thingy

What it says on the tin: a place to discuss proposed new features.
Novator
Gnoblar

BSP Plugin Thingy

Post by Novator »

I was looking at an older post asking for more bsp support

original post
jikbar wrote:Ogre should expose more functionality from Quake3 levels. it would be really nice to attach a Quake3 level to a scene node so that it can be rotated, scaled, etc (you can see how this might come in useful for flipping Z and Y without changing the camera) . Also, the Quake3 level class should include a parser to create a list of all entities in the map so that things like jump pads can be loaded into a game without an extra Entities file. right now, the only entity data i can get from a map is start positions, which isnt very useful since the map is loaded internally through setWorldGeometry() and it cant be accessed without loading the map twice.

if anyone wants, i could make the modifications since this is already a major issue with my project (it might take a while since im still learning how to use Ogre, but 'awhile' for me is a much shorter amount of time than it is for others :wink: )
and sinbad said:
sinbad wrote:Since Carmack has said that Q3A will be GPL'ed by the end of the year, it may be that the level tools will be GPL'ed too, in which case the Q3A format will suddenly become a whole lot more useful.
Is there any news on this? Did Q3A end up get GPL'ed? If so maybe you could work on this now. :)
monster
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by monster »

Did Q3A end up get GPL'ed? If so maybe you could work on this now.
Err, rather than you just waiting for someone else to do something, why don't you have a search around the internet yourself to see whether or not the answer to your question is true or false.

Then, if the Q3A format has been GPL'd maybe you could work on this?
IFASS
Gnome

Post by IFASS »

I recommend you to look into this: www.zalsoft.com

We (openfrag) have contacted the coder behind it and he's gonna cooperate with us in a few months to make it work with openfrag (as so with OGRE).
A few changes has to be made to the editor and compiler before it can work completly with OGRE.
I'll keep you guys updated on this (imo) great stuff.

==

And yes, this means OpenFrag is gonna support 2 seperate map formats.
- DotScene
- GBT (GETIC BSP TREE)
Novator
Gnoblar

Post by Novator »

monster wrote:
Did Q3A end up get GPL'ed? If so maybe you could work on this now.
Err, rather than you just waiting for someone else to do something, why don't you have a search around the internet yourself to see whether or not the answer to your question is true or false.

Then, if the Q3A format has been GPL'd maybe you could work on this?
This is the feature request forum isn't it? I just was making a suggestion is all... :roll:

[edit] sorry IFASS, forgot to say something about your post... I like that program it'll be extremely useful to me :)[/edit]
:wumpus:
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by :wumpus: »

The Ogre team isn't much interested in the BSP format as used by Quake for various reasons, one being it's really an antiquity and not that efficient for the batch sizes modern hardware like. (too find out more search the forums a bit)

Of course, contributions to the BSP plugin are welcome, but we won't work on it ourself.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

IFASS wrote:We (openfrag) have contacted the coder behind Getic and he's gonna cooperate with us in a few months to make it work with openfrag (as so with OGRE).
A few changes has to be made to the editor and compiler before it can work completly with OGRE.
I'll keep you guys updated on this (imo) great stuff.

==

And yes, this means OpenFrag is gonna support 2 seperate map formats.
- DotScene
- GBT (GETIC BSP TREE)
This is excellent news!
Hope the Getic exporter will be generic enough to work with 'vanilla' Ogre. :)

This could be what a lot of Ogre users are waiting for: an easy way of creating Ogre levels. :wink:
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
czzplnm
Gnoblar

Re: BSP Plugin Thingy

Post by czzplnm »

Never happened? o-o
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

OpenFrag is history.
The last commit in their repository is years ago..
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
Serpentine
Gnoblar

Post by Serpentine »

Tho not exactly what you're looking for, it might be of help to have a look over at BZN BSP Renderer

He does mention that the map format is slightly different from Q3A's default, but it seems simple enough to make the changes needed, however there's most likely a lot of other stuff you could remove if you just wanted to use it for BSP handling alone, that might be a bit of work.